The Student Room Group

Got my AS results and did terribly in OCR Maths and I don't know what to do now?

Poll

What should I do?

My friend collected my AS results yesterday and I have been studying 5 subjects this past year. I was targeted all B's at the start of the year.
At AS I got an A/Distinction in ICT, A in Financial Studies, A in Business and Economics, D in Psychology ( will retake both exams 3 UMS of an C) and the worst one an U in Maths. C1 I got an D, S1 an E, C2 took it completely down and I got a pathetic UMS which was an U and it took my whole grade down. I was 5 UMS of an E and I don't know whether remarking is worth it

I've always loved maths and it's been one of my favourite subject it was a major suprise that i didn't get an A in GCSE but I didn't work hard enough at all and I didn't focus throughout the whole year. I definitely didn't give my 100% and i should have got a tutor so the fault is completely mine.

I didn't really enjoy the topics that we learnt throughout the year and I found it difficult but C3 looks better and I didn't give my 100% which could have meant a different story.

I can continue with 4 subjects but I knew I did badly in the exams so I wanted to focus on it for the next year and therefore I dropped out of extra curricular stuff I could have done in the next year. My sixth form say you need an D to continue with the subject but i'm going to organise a meeting and see what they say as I really think if I put my mind on it, I could get an A/B like my other friends. I think my biggest problem is that, I haven't yet decided on what courses I want to do

If I get in my predicted grade will be low and the courses I'm looking at in Uni ask for a high Maths grade. Not really sure what to do, any advice. If I do drop maths what courses do I look at? I don't really have a clue as it is different to what I was planning. I will reply
Original post by krs122
My friend collected my AS results yesterday and I have been studying 5 subjects this past year. I was targeted all B's at the start of the year.
At AS I got an A/Distinction in ICT, A in Financial Studies, A in Business and Economics, D in Psychology ( will retake both exams 3 UMS of an C) and the worst one an U in Maths. C1 I got an D, S1 an E, C2 took it completely down and I got a pathetic UMS which was an U and it took my whole grade down. I was 5 UMS of an E and I don't know whether remarking is worth it

I've always loved maths and it's been one of my favourite subject it was a major suprise that i didn't get an A in GCSE but I didn't work hard enough at all and I didn't focus throughout the whole year. I definitely didn't give my 100% and i should have got a tutor so the fault is completely mine.

I didn't really enjoy the topics that we learnt throughout the year and I found it difficult but C3 looks better and I didn't give my 100% which could have meant a different story.

I can continue with 4 subjects but I knew I did badly in the exams so I wanted to focus on it for the next year and therefore I dropped out of extra curricular stuff I could have done in the next year. My sixth form say you need an D to continue with the subject but i'm going to organise a meeting and see what they say as I really think if I put my mind on it, I could get an A/B like my other friends. I think my biggest problem is that, I haven't yet decided on what courses I want to do

If I get in my predicted grade will be low and the courses I'm looking at in Uni ask for a high Maths grade. Not really sure what to do, any advice. If I do drop maths what courses do I look at? I don't really have a clue as it is different to what I was planning. I will reply

Hi :smile:
I studied Edexcel maths at A-level but I will try and give you a bit of help :smile:

Did you struggle with the content?
I was just wondering whether you have done well throughout the year and then the exams didn't go so well or if this is not the case

Once I know this I can help some more :smile:
Original post by krs122

Hey! I also did OCR maths and found the exams a big shock! Especially with the 7,8 or 9 mark questions where I didn't even know where to start... :frown: Tbh I cruised along all year, putting in minimal effort and assuming I'd be ok just like GCSE. But now I have to pay the price this year and work really hard and resit.
For you I would say check to see if maths is essential for courses you're interested in- if not then it may not be worth the effort of resiting and continuing maths. It may be best to concentrate on your other subjects, as things are only going to get harder, and you can excell in your other subjects this way.
If you're going to carry on maths, however, think realistically about how much time you're going to need to put in for it. How will this affect your other subjects? Is it doable? If you believe you can do it than you need to set up a serious strategy to hack maths! Whether that be getting a tutor, doing 30 minutes every day or going to get help from teachers at lunch times...Speak to your teachers though as they'll know best. Personally, unless you desperately need maths for a course you really want to do, I would drop maths. It's going to take huge effort to pull up a U grade, and this will probable affect your other subjects. If you feel you need to take maths though, start working hard now! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Komodo dragon
Hey! I also did OCR maths and found the exams a big shock! Especially with the 7,8 or 9 mark questions where I didn't even know where to start... :frown: Tbh I cruised along all year, putting in minimal effort and assuming I'd be ok just like GCSE. But now I have to pay the price this year and work really hard and resit.
For you I would say check to see if maths is essential for courses you're interested in- if not then it may not be worth the effort of resiting and continuing maths. It may be best to concentrate on your other subjects, as things are only going to get harder, and you can excell in your other subjects this way.
If you're going to carry on maths, however, think realistically about how much time you're going to need to put in for it. How will this affect your other subjects? Is it doable? If you believe you can do it than you need to set up a serious strategy to hack maths! Whether that be getting a tutor, doing 30 minutes every day or going to get help from teachers at lunch times...Speak to your teachers though as they'll know best. Personally, unless you desperately need maths for a course you really want to do, I would drop maths. It's going to take huge effort to pull up a U grade, and this will probable affect your other subjects. If you feel you need to take maths though, start working hard now! :smile:

Unfortunatly, I've not been allowed to continue Maths. I don't particularly like psychology but I throughly regret not putting the effort in Maths so mucchhh :mad::mad::frown: . I wish I got a tutor when I was thinking about getting one. I am going to retake C2 and S1 so that I come out with a respectable Maths AS qualification. The thing is I know that if I got into Maths, the effort i would put in is 100x more. I would get a tutor straight away, do homeworks the next day, read up lessons the day before, put 3 hours work in and stuff like that. I'm gutted and now I can't do my dream course at Lancaster. I'm just hoping that Accounting and Finance courses let me in without Maths. Even if i did get in, my predicted grade would be like an D and why would they let me apply.

How did you do in Maths and what are your plans for A2?
Reply 4
Original post by g.k.galloway
Hi :smile:
I studied Edexcel maths at A-level but I will try and give you a bit of help :smile:

Did you struggle with the content?
I was just wondering whether you have done well throughout the year and then the exams didn't go so well or if this is not the case

Once I know this I can help some more :smile:

I struggled with the content and I found it difficult but I didn't put the effort which was required. I should have put in 100% and I didn't even put 30% I would say and I will always regret the day before my C2 exam and how little I revised. But I unfortunatly and proably deservedly did not get into Maths at A2 and I wish I did because I would have put a lot more effort and would've got a tutor straight away. But I'm now being forced to continue Psychology, even though I don't even like it that much.

Quick Reply

Latest