The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Web Design & Development - 2014

Anyone other TSR users studying this ? :redface:

Scroll to see replies

Hey bud, whats up? I'm studying Web Design this month as well!
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Reply 2
Original post by Matty_Taylor
Hey bud, whats up? I'm studying Web Design this month as well!

I'm good, I'm glad the first year results don't care towards the final degree as trying to remember college stuff and its all been replaced already :tongue:

Was Northumbria your first choice ?
Original post by Shodann
I'm good, I'm glad the first year results don't care towards the final degree as trying to remember college stuff and its all been replaced already :tongue:

Was Northumbria your first choice ?

Haha well I'm not really that knowledgeable in Web Design just quite yet so I'll pretty much be a beginner when I start. Northumbria was my first choice yes, in fact, it was my only choice actually. I scoured the whole country for any other alternative but Northumbria seemed to have the most solid of degrees.
Reply 4
Haha well I'm not really that knowledgeable in Web Design just quite yet so I'll pretty much be a beginner when I start. Northumbria was my first choice yes, in fact, it was my only choice actually. I scoured the whole country for any other alternative but Northumbria seemed to have the most solid of degrees.

ah thats cool as it's pretty much an introductory year anyway and I agree Northumbria had the most relevant course units for the course over most other places, I went to open days of places that has music or media units in it so I chose this one pretty easily; plus its got a work placement year which I need as I have work experience but not Web work.
Original post by Shodann
ah thats cool as it's pretty much an introductory year anyway and I agree Northumbria had the most relevant course units for the course over most other places, I went to open days of places that has music or media units in it so I chose this one pretty easily; plus its got a work placement year which I need as I have work experience but not Web work.

Yes I'm exactly the same! Really hoping to go big with the Sandwich year when it comes around. So do you have any experience yourself in Web or Graphic Design?
Reply 6
Yes I'm exactly the same! Really hoping to go big with the Sandwich year when it comes around. So do you have any experience yourself in Web or Graphic Design?

I went back to college and did an Access course in Computing, so I've done a little bit of everything but I found that the Web stuff came a bit easier to me and it wasn't to heavy on the maths side, I did some weekend classes to so I've used HTML+CSS quite a bit; other than that it's stuff I might have looked at in my own time so its not that much :tongue:

How about you?
Original post by Shodann
I went back to college and did an Access course in Computing, so I've done a little bit of everything but I found that the Web stuff came a bit easier to me and it wasn't to heavy on the maths side, I did some weekend classes to so I've used HTML+CSS quite a bit; other than that it's stuff I might have looked at in my own time so its not that much :tongue:

How about you?

Sorry for the late reply bud, long shift at work. I have some good experience in Graphic Design that I gained from my GCSE and A Levels so that should come in rather handy. As I said though, I'm going to have to try and knuckle down seen as though I will be learning from the ground up while others such as yourself obviously already have some form of experience to begin with.
Should still be a whole lot of fun either way though!
Reply 8
Sorry for the late reply bud, long shift at work. I have some good experience in Graphic Design that I gained from my GCSE and A Levels so that should come in rather handy. As I said though, I'm going to have to try and knuckle down seen as though I will be learning from the ground up while others such as yourself obviously already have some form of experience to begin with.
Should still be a whole lot of fun either way though!

That's fine you'll be ahead of everyone on the Graphics communication module I guess if you have experience with some thing like photoshop, so atleast if there's any group work you would be good for the design part and someone like me more sorted to the development side.

Yeah I'm just hoping to do well so I can get a decent degree and a career out of it, I've done alot of crappy jobs/entry level jobs and A) hated it b) got nowhere with it. And I thought I'd do it now as I'm 25 that way I'll have this all done with by the time I'm 30.
Original post by Shodann
That's fine you'll be ahead of everyone on the Graphics communication module I guess if you have experience with some thing like photoshop, so atleast if there's any group work you would be good for the design part and someone like me more sorted to the development side.

Yeah I'm just hoping to do well so I can get a decent degree and a career out of it, I've done alot of crappy jobs/entry level jobs and A) hated it b) got nowhere with it. And I thought I'd do it now as I'm 25 that way I'll have this all done with by the time I'm 30.

Yeah, makes a lot of sense, sounds like you have yourself a solid plan there mate. I myself being 18 haven't actually had any kind of work experience in the creative industry. I applied to a number of places but couldn't get anywhere. One business got back to me telling me they would take me on but then suddenly stopped all contact out of nowhere. I work in a restaurant right now which is okay I guess, long hours but the team are great and the pay is good.
I'm studying this course as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Antwilk21
I'm studying this course as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey bud, how you doing?
Reply 12
I just wanna get there and start tbh, since I got my offer in January I've just been doing little jobs here and their for money but it's been dragging recently :tongue:

How far are you guys from the Uni ? I've got a 5h 30m or so drive from Essex.
Original post by Shodann
I just wanna get there and start tbh, since I got my offer in January I've just been doing little jobs here and their for money but it's been dragging recently :tongue:

How far are you guys from the Uni ? I've got a 5h 30m or so drive from Essex.

Well I'm commuting everyday from home by bus which should take no longer than 30 minutes to an hour each way.
Reply 14
Well I'm commuting everyday from home by bus which should take no longer than 30 minutes to an hour each way.

That sounds pretty handy can you use the free Uni bus which I think goes to gateshead or something for a seperate campus/halls ? or is that in a wrong direction. Either way you will probably save alot of money instead of being in the uni accomodation.
In my experience web development is very badly taught ab initio at uni. Best to get upto speed yourselves as far as you can. In general the problem is they are very out of date and tend to be orientated to proprietary software which is ridiculous for web stuff.
Original post by Shodann
That sounds pretty handy can you use the free Uni bus which I think goes to gateshead or something for a seperate campus/halls ? or is that in a wrong direction. Either way you will probably save alot of money instead of being in the uni accomodation.

No I've got an annual Go North East Bus Pass that allows me to catch as many buses as I like whenever I want which is great. A little worried that I might miss out a bit on some of the social side of things but I can't help thinking that I'm going to be saving an absolute fortune.
I live in durham which is about 30 minutes away from northumbria

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Antwilk21
I live in durham which is about 30 minutes away from northumbria

Posted from TSR Mobile

So do I, same as me. Are you commuting as well or have you got accommodation?
So do I, same as me. Are you commuting as well or have you got accommodation?

No I'm just going to stay at home, save money by doing that rather than paying for accommodation, plus I have a job which is 5 minutes away from where I live so thats another reason why I'm staying at home.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending