The Student Room Group

AQA LAW Unit 4 - Offences Against Property

If you havn't already, check out my Unit 3 - Offences against the person thread
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2667731

I got an A for A-Level law so I'm just going to post the way I wrote my answers for each specific area of this unit

Theft

Theft is defined under S1 of the Theft Act 1968, which states: 'A person is guilty of theft if s/he dishonestly appropriates property belonging belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it'

The blue colour indicated the actus reus (guilty act) and the purple the mens rea (guilty mind)

Actus reus of theft

The actus reus of appropriating property belonging to another is found under sections 3,4,5 of the Theft Act 1968

Section 3: Appropriation
Appropriates is defined under s3(1), which states: 'Any assumption by a person of the rights of an owner'. Some examples are:

Selling

Destroying

Hiring out

Lending

These are cases with relevant information quote the names and ratios in your summer exam!!!!!

Pitham & Hehl - No need to physically take
Morris - Any right is enough as long as it is against the owners wishes
Lawrence, Gomez -Appropriation can be from consent by deception as to assume the rights of an owner
Hinks -Appropriation can be proved even when the property is obtained through a gift

​Section 4: Property
Property is stated under s4(1) of the Theft Act 1968 which states property 'Includes money and all other property, real or personal, including things in action and other intangible property'
WILL CONTINUE TO UPDATE TOMORROW 26/08/2014
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Dilsz
If you havn't already, check out my Unit 3 - Offences against the person thread
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2667731

I got an A for A-Level law so I'm just going to post the way I wrote my answers for each specific area of this unit

Theft

Theft is defined under S1 of the Theft Act 1968, which states: 'A person is guilty of theft if s/he dishonestly appropriates property belonging belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it'

The blue colour indicated the actus reus (guilty act) and the purple the mens rea (guilty mind)

Actus reus of theft

The actus reus of appropriating property belonging to another is found under sections 3,4,5 of the Theft Act 1968

Section 3: Appropriation
Appropriates is defined under s3(1), which states: 'Any assumption by a person of the rights of an owner'. Some examples are:

Selling

Destroying

Hiring out

Lending

These are cases with relevant information quote the names and ratios in your summer exam!!!!!

Pitham & Hehl - No need to physically take
Morris - Any right is enough as long as it is against the owners wishes
Lawrence, Gomez -Appropriation can be from consent by deception as to assume the rights of an owner
Hinks -Appropriation can be proved even when the property is obtained through a gift

​Section 4: Property
Property is stated under s4(1) of the Theft Act 1968 which states property 'Includes money and all other property, real or personal, including things in action and other intangible property'
WILL CONTINUE TO UPDATE TOMORROW 26/08/2014

Thank you sooooo much, found this really helpful!!

Quick Reply

Latest