The Student Room Group

Mechanical engineering or Software engineering?

I just finished year 12 (AS) studying Maths, Physics, IT, Geography. my AS results were C, D, Distinction, and C in that order. i have always wanted to become mechanical engineer, im really passionate about it and was looking forward to studying exactly that at well respected (russel group) university however after those AS results i don't think i will get into a decent enough university( i am aware that there are unis which will still accept those grades, i dont want to go to those) so i started looking around and software engineering and computing seems like a similar field, im not as passionate on the subject however it seems like unis have a lower entry requirement for it, so im in a real dilemma here ,do i go to a less known uni and do a mechanical eng degree or go to a slightly better university and do a software engineering/computing degree.
Original post by mclovin014
I just finished year 12 (AS) studying Maths, Physics, IT, Geography. my AS results were C, D, Distinction, and C in that order. i have always wanted to become mechanical engineer, im really passionate about it and was looking forward to studying exactly that at well respected (russel group) university however after those AS results i don't think i will get into a decent enough university( i am aware that there are unis which will still accept those grades, i dont want to go to those) so i started looking around and software engineering and computing seems like a similar field, im not as passionate on the subject however it seems like unis have a lower entry requirement for it, so im in a real dilemma here ,do i go to a less known uni and do a mechanical eng degree or go to a slightly better university and do a software engineering/computing degree.

I would say the best situation for you right now would be to try and get in the best uni you can for mechanical engineering because that is what you want to do, but apply for a foundation year, they have lower entry requirements and explain the situation to them, it will be longer but I wouldn't recommend doing what you don't want to do.

I would also say that if you cant get in to a uni that is 'prestigious' just yet, do a BEng from the uni you can get in to and do Masters (MSc) in a better uni,

but I know that Manchester which is regarded quite well for engineering run a foundation program which have entry requirement of something like BCC for science students and if you're doing irrelevant A levels its ABB but with your subjects if you can just get BCC you can get in to the foundation year. You could try other unis too, don't do what you don't want to do though...
Reply 2
Original post by 786arslan
I would say the best situation for you right now would be to try and get in the best uni you can for mechanical engineering because that is what you want to do, but apply for a foundation year, they have lower entry requirements and explain the situation to them, it will be longer but I wouldn't recommend doing what you don't want to do.

I would also say that if you cant get in to a uni that is 'prestigious' just yet, do a BEng from the uni you can get in to and do Masters (MSc) in a better uni,

but I know that Manchester which is regarded quite well for engineering run a foundation program which have entry requirement of something like BCC for science students and if you're doing irrelevant A levels its ABB but with your subjects if you can just get BCC you can get in to the foundation year. You could try other unis too, don't do what you don't want to do though...

thanks a lot for your advice, i really appreciate it. :borat:
Reply 3
I went to a former Poly (LJMU) after missing out on a Red Brick . I am VERY glad this happened. Teaching and facilities were very good indeed. I and most everybody I know on my Masters course got jobs. Don't fall for the snobbishness surrounding former Polys, an established university is maybe better for things like history and classics etc. but for proper courses with proper job prospects I believe there is not a whole load of difference.

Certainly do not consider changing course to get into a university considered more 'prestigious' by a load of retired old fogeys.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
As above, don't believe everything people say about ex-polys. I'm not even out of uni yet but you can see my signature for where it's gotten me.
For reference I got CDEE in my A-Levels.
In any case, I highly recommend you get to learning, as software engineering is not really something university alone can teach you.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest