The Student Room Group

Can I take CompSci with my A levels?

I'm studying Psychology, English Lit & Lang and Graphics for A2 and was wondering if I could realistically get into a Computer Science course? I don't do maths so that obviously limits my choices but I've looked around at some unis such as Queen Mary, Reading and Nottingham that don't require A2 maths.

My problem is am I likely to be accepted with my subjects? Aside from Psych they're not exactly math nor science related.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I mean, there may be some universities that will accept you (though you will always be at a disadvantage to those with maths), but I have to ask, why those A levels? Either you enjoy CompSci, in which case I would recommend finding a way to take some time to do more relevant A levels (at least maths), or you enjoy those subjects and probably should not be applying for CompSci in the first place.
Reply 2
Original post by tysonmaniac
I mean, there may be some universities that will accept you (though you will always be at a disadvantage to those with maths), but I have to ask, why those A levels? Either you enjoy CompSci, in which case I would recommend finding a way to take some time to do more relevant A levels (at least maths), or you enjoy those subjects and probably should not be applying for CompSci in the first place.

Mm, I do see what you're saying . I didn't know what degree I wanted to do last year so I tried to pick a few different A levels - and while I do enjoy CS it's definitely not to the point where I would try and redo the AS year with different A levels. Thank you for replying :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jeylup
I'm studying Psychology, English Lit & Lang and Graphics for A2 and was wondering if I could realistically get into a Computer Science course? I don't do maths so that obviously limits my choices but I've looked around at some unis such as Queen Mary, Reading and Nottingham that don't require A2 maths.

My problem is am I likely to be accepted with my subjects? Aside from Psych they're not exactly math nor science related.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll have to write a very convincing personal statement and justify how passionate you could possibly be about this subject if you didn't choose AS levels that had anything to do with it when given the choice a year ago. If it doesn't work out, take a gap year and whiz through A2 maths.
Reply 4
Original post by Damask-
You'll have to write a very convincing personal statement and justify how passionate you could possibly be about this subject if you didn't choose AS levels that had anything to do with it when given the choice a year ago. If it doesn't work out, take a gap year and whiz through A2 maths.

Okay, I'll take your advice into consideration. Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending