The Student Room Group

mature student at 21 lol

I just had to laugh about this 'name' they call us
It makes me feel as if they think we are hundred years old planting our headstones ahaha
I may be a mature student but could easily be passed off as 15! Aha

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Lulumise
It makes me feel as if they think we are hundred years old planting our headstones ahaha

My experience is that the majority of "mature students" who aren't actually that mature - say in the range of 21-25, are the ones who take themselves waaaay too seriously and the first to go on and on about how much older they are, how they don't think they'll fit in with the 18 and 19 year olds and how seriously they take their shiz.

I'm in this position of being a "Mature Student" now. I didn't make the grades needed to get onto my A Level course, and it was cutting it fine then. So now I'm achieivng the full five GCSE's and w:smile:hen I start I'll be 19 and finishing at 21- it makes me feel a century old. Such a huge divide between 18 and 19 in the academic world!
Reply 3
Original post by Amy. J S
Such a huge divide between 18 and 19 in the academic world!

Only in school or college. There's no difference at all once you start uni. You'll be studying with plenty of people who've taken a gap year - starting uni at 19 is completely normal.
Original post by Klix88
Only in school or college. There's no difference at all once you start uni. You'll be studying with plenty of people who've taken a gap year - starting uni at 19 is completely normal.

Exactly! I should be starting University at 21- but even then, that isn't really a shocking age.
Reply 5
I'm in this position of being a "Mature Student" now. I didn't make the grades needed to get onto my A Level course, and it was cutting it fine then. So now I'm achieivng the full five GCSE's and w:smile:hen I start I'll be 19 and finishing at 21- it makes me feel a century old. Such a huge divide between 18 and 19 in the academic world!

The advantage is by the time you are 21, you mostly have a better idea of what you want to do with your life and how to achieve it. i don't feel old at all and will treat everyone equal but I do think ill be more down to earth about actually achieving my degree.

ofc i'd go out and and mingle with everyone but i think going to Uni at 21 is a good age to start, by then you know what you want out of life and hopefully more disciplined than the younger students.

at the end of the day if you act like a 90 year old you're going to be treated as such. if you act like a 21 one year old then you can keep up with the best of them. the label just makes me feel like i should be be buying a plot in a grave yard as i don't feel like a 'mature student' lol :biggrin:

I suppose i am mature in the sense that I know exactly what i want and need to succeed and hopefully more disciplined/determined to achieve a good result as i won't be completely hypnotised by the drinking aspect of Uni don't get me wrong i love me some vodka but i think you learn when the time is to go out and when the time is to get your head down and study :P
(edited 9 years ago)
The advantage is by the time you are 21, you mostly have a better idea of what you want to do with your life and how to achieve it. i don't feel old at all and will treat everyone equal but I do think ill be more down to earth about actually achieving my degree.

ofc i'd go out and and mingle with everyone but i think going to Uni at 21 is a good age to start, by then you know what you want out of life and hopefully more disciplined than the younger students.

at the end of the day if you act like a 90 year old you're going to be treated as such. if you act like a 21 one year old then you can keep up with the best of them. the label just makes me feel like i should be be buying a plot in a grave yard as i don't feel like a 'mature student' lol :biggrin:

I suppose i am mature in the sense that I know exactly what i want and need to succeed and hopefully more disciplined/determined to achieve a good result as i won't be completely hypnotised by the drinking aspect of Uni don't get me wrong i love me some vodka but i think you learn when the time is to go out and when the time is to get your head down and study :P

It's so nice to hear someone voice the same opinions. If I had achieved my GCSE's at the correct age and then moved onto A Levels- if, I had moved onto A Levels- I don't think I'd be ready for Univeristy at 18. I certainly don't feel ready now. I wouldn't have chose wisely with the route I wanted to pursue, and would be answering to all this indecision three years later when I would've graduated.

Although, I am pleased about starting later as I am much, much more focused and determined to pursue the path I want to. I still find it hard to accept the huge age gap, and stigma with it.
What's your situation with education, if you don't mind me asking?:smile:
It's so nice to hear someone voice the same opinions. If I had achieved my GCSE's at the correct age and then moved onto A Levels- if, I had moved onto A Levels- I don't think I'd be ready for Univeristy at 18. I certainly don't feel ready now. I wouldn't have chose wisely with the route I wanted to pursue, and would be answering to all this indecision three years later when I would've graduated.

Although, I am pleased about starting later as I am much, much more focused and determined to pursue the path I want to. I still find it hard to accept the huge age gap, and stigma with it.

Hey, why are you only doing 2 a levels?
Original post by cheeriosarenice
Hey, why are you only doing 2 a levels?

What are you talking about?
What are you talking about?

ur doing lit and lang a level
ur doing lit and lang a level

That was my old offer, which I didn't meet the criteria for- I was also sitting a third in my second year as intense course. So effectively, I would've left with 3 A Levels. :smile:
That was my old offer, which I didn't meet the criteria for- I was also sitting a third in my second year as intense course. So effectively, I would've left with 3 A Levels. :smile:

Oh I see. Are u at normal college, or evening classes?
Oh I see. Are u at normal college, or evening classes?

I was in Full Time education at college. I still will be, just having to start at GCSE level now, so I can progress up to A Level next year.
I was in Full Time education at college. I still will be, just having to start at GCSE level now, so I can progress up to A Level next year.

Will you get funding to do a levels again? I'd double check that.
Will you get funding to do a levels again? I'd double check that.

Yeah, I've sorted it all with the college. :smile:
Yeah, I've sorted it all with the college. :smile:

Ok. Do you live independently?
I think it's ridiculous that 21 is considered a mature student. I'll be 21 by the time I go to uni, I feel like it can only be an advantage. More life experience, work ethic, more idea of what you want to do, presumably better of money-wise, more independent...

I won't be out getting drunk every week but I certainly won't exclude myself from the younger students!
Reply 17

Well when i left school i didn't think i had the academic abilities to do my A levels therefore did a BTEC National instead through that i got into uni of worcester focusing on early years. Cut a long story short i had a change of heart and direction so left after one semester and worked for 6 months waiting for the new academic year to start then enrolled onto A levels and should be applying for uni (again) this year for BA hons English :smile: hopefully at DMU.

I can hold my own with these 16 year olds (granted they joke with me and call me a fossil) but its all good fun. :wink: x
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by soph1293
I think it's ridiculous that 21 is considered a mature student. I'll be 21 by the time I go to uni, I feel like it can only be an advantage. More life experience, work ethic, more idea of what you want to do, presumably better of money-wise, more independent...

I won't be out getting drunk every week but I certainly won't exclude myself from the younger students!

I couldn't agree more. X
Well when i left school i didn't think i had the academic abilities to do my A levels therefore did a BTEC National instead through that i got into uni of worcester focusing on early years. Cut a long story short i had a change of heart and direction so left after one semester and worked for 6 months waiting for the new academic year to start then enrolled onto A levels and should be applying for uni (again) this year for BA hons English :smile: hopefully at DMU.

I can hold my own with these 16 year olds (granted they joke with me and call me a fossil) but its all good fun. :wink: x

That's amazing. You must have a thick skin for going back and being able to keep your chin up high. Hats off to you! I really hope you get into your chosen University. :bigsmile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending