The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by samba
If you need more than about 35fps for sc2 you're simply bad.

worse graphics with low fps..

don't want to be looking at a potato lol..
"250 fps".
Please do your research...
Reply 22
Original post by xNcDianna
worse graphics with low fps..

don't want to be looking at a potato lol..

Dunno, I could play sc2 at 30~ fps with my old laptop and the gfx on medium/scaling off etc. You want a cheap desktop preferably to get the gaming going. More comfy too.
Reply 23
Original post by samba
Dunno, I could play sc2 at 30~ fps with my old laptop and the gfx on medium/scaling off etc. You want a cheap desktop preferably to get the gaming going. More comfy too.

Well with a good pc you need a good chair, got the latter - need the former though.
Reply 24
Well with a good pc you need a good chair, got the latter - need the former though.

Get a job, start saving. Either that or exploits the parents/get a sugar daddy.

Or get that geek you were on about to be your bf. Maybe he has spare parts.
Reply 25
Original post by samba
Get a job, start saving. Either that or exploits the parents/get a sugar daddy.

Or get that geek you were on about to be your bf. Maybe he has spare parts.

Have a few part-time jobs, but most of that goes to exam entries, books etc.

Prefer to do it off my own back, rather than ask for help for non-essentials.

Sugar daddy = pimp?

Are you being literal here or implicit?
Reply 26
Have a few part-time jobs, but most of that goes to exam entries, books etc.

Prefer to do it off my own back, rather than ask for help for non-essentials.

Sugar daddy = pimp?

Are you being literal here or implicit?

pimp can work too, but not what I was suggesting. And no, I was being literal. If he's anything like me he has enough spare parts for 2-3 decent pc's in the cupboard.
Reply 27
Original post by yodawg321
"250 fps".
Please do your research...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59_70H0aTWE

What I'm kind of looking for, what do you mean research?

It's not as if I am going to play fifa offline or something :rofl2:

ftr, its a common sweet-spot so..

Original post by samba
pimp can work too, but not what I was suggesting. And no, I was being literal. If he's anything like me he has enough spare parts for 2-3 decent pc's in the cupboard.

lool, maybe thanks for the rec.

Want that scrabble game now>? :P
i play minecraft at 12 fps on my laptop
Reply 29
Isn't 125fps the sweet spot that most people use, not that it matters :P

Right I see thanks.

Oh right, thanks - will see though. This may be a silly question but is it possible to build a laptop, I know most people build their own pc..

60fps is what you want. There are very few reasonably priced monitors out there that can even support anything above 60Hz so setting it as a target is fairly pointless.
You can't custom build laptops due to the fact that cramming all those components into a tiny space takes a lot of work, and there's no standardisation for it (unlike desktops).

What sorta budget are you looking at?
Reply 30
Laptops not suitable because a half decent gfx card for gaming these days is probably longer and heavier than the laptop. Laptops only good for casuals IMO.
250FPS? What games do you play? 60fps playing BF4 is pretty smooth already, and am pretty sure- as mentioned before- a mid-range laptop would not have a high enough refresh rate to cope with 250fps.

Judging from your laptop specs:

processor, multi core yes, but the clock speed is pretty low; games prefer higher clock speeds over number of cores. You can consider overclocking but keep in mind of system cooling and even the possibility if your CPU can overclock or not. RAM/Memory plays no role in gaming performance- to a point- although 8GB of RAM is more than enough. You're graphics card is integrated, meaning it is most likely soldered onto your motherboard and comes nowhere close to a DEDICATED graphics card.

I suggest you buy a gaming desktop if you are that keen on performance, maybe a sli/crossfire GPUs.
Reply 32
Original post by CJKay
60fps is what you want. There are very few reasonably priced monitors out there that can even support anything above 60Hz so setting it as a target is fairly pointless.
You can't custom build laptops due to the fact that cramming all those components into a tiny space takes a lot of work, and there's no standardisation for it (unlike desktops).

What sorta budget are you looking at?

Original post by Michael1997
250FPS? What games do you play? 60fps playing BF4 is pretty smooth already, and am pretty sure- as mentioned before- a mid-range laptop would not have a high enough refresh rate to cope with 250fps.

Judging from your laptop specs:

processor, multi core yes, but the clock speed is pretty low; games prefer higher clock speeds over number of cores. You can consider overclocking but keep in mind of system cooling and even the possibility if your CPU can overclock or not. RAM/Memory plays no role in gaming performance- to a point- although 8GB of RAM is more than enough. You're graphics card is integrated, meaning it is most likely soldered onto your motherboard and comes nowhere close to a DEDICATED graphics card.

I suggest you buy a gaming desktop if you are that keen on performance, maybe a sli/crossfire GPUs.

With my current laptop I know there is no chance.

RAM is good. And I understand about the melding.

£700, not much I know. Its hard because I don't knwo whether to save for a great one or buy a decent one now.
Reply 33
With my current laptop I know there is no chance.

RAM is good. And I understand about the melding.

£700, not much I know. Its hard because I don't knwo whether to save for a great one or buy a decent one now.

No, I mean there is literally no point in it. :tongue: I run a pretty beefy desktop - specs in my signature - but even I don't run more than 60fps because neither of my monitors support it!

£700 will net you a good gaming laptop. My 4 year old £500 laptop still runs the majority of modern games just fine on medium to high settings.

How about something like this? High-end graphics card, good processor and sizeable RAM. Will run the majority of games on high for the next few years.
I can't tell if you're serious or not...
Even if you did get 250 fps, unless your monitor was 250 Hz there would be no difference.
lol 250fps?

Is this a joke?

Anyway, I use a "gaming laptop". Around 800-900 pounds I think.
GTX 770M
i7 4th gen
16 Gigs ram

More than enough to run almost any game on high-ultra at 50-60FPS.

Gaming laptops are expensive. Battery life however is quite good on mine. I can usually get 6-7 hours on it, although I suspect its due to the switching to Intel HD graphics when not gaming, thanks to Haswell chips.
I constantly see you stating that 60 fps is not the sweet spot and you want that as a minimum - the issue being that there is no effective difference between 60 fps and 100000000000000000000000 fps on a laptop screen because almost all laptop screens have a refresh rate of 60 Hz so you can't see any difference. The average human has problems noting any frame rate higher than 60 at any rate.

I have a gaming laptop as I like to go places when I game and it's not a top-spec machine but it's very near the top end.

It has a 3.4GHz i7 and an nVidia 780m. The 780m is in the top 3 mobile GPUs and you won't be maxing out the brand new games at 60< fps unless you're running an SLI configuration with one of the 4~GHz processors.

You have to remember that laptops do not compare with desktops in gaming - especially when taking cost into account.

Desktop GPU cards are faster, larger and can generate a lot more heat without repercussions as they don't have the issues that laptops have (Storage space and airflow/case ventilation.)

On a laptop anyway you wouldn't want your GPU working overtime to provide framerates above sixty as that means it's just wasting battery and causing your card to heat up a ton.

Edit: Shameless plug, http://mysn.co.uk/ , I got my laptop from there back in January. They sometimes have special student offers for laptops with nvidia x70m series cards or the AMD equivalent.
RECOMMEND DO NOT GET AMD GPU ON LAPTOPS - They have issues with generating a lot of heat and being a lot less reliable. I've had serious issues with AMD notebook GPUs in the past as well so keep that in mind.
(edited 9 years ago)
What CJ said! (integrated)

I spent £550 about 8(?) months ago on an (ahem, acer) i5 with 630m, and I don't get anywhere near 100fps! (connected to 1080 monitor though)

"Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 7366MB RAM
Page File: 8743MB used, 6046MB available"

Err what... secondly why is your page file so high?

No can't upgrade GPU because 1. It's a laptop, 2. It's IN the CPU!

Graphics card and CPU improves FPS. RAM does not (negligible)

Btw, never buy HP, especially for games.

Try changing DirectX to DX9 in game settings if you can, that might help a little bit. *shrug*. Turn off shadows will help a lot as well. (whatever you're playing)

Sell your laptop, and build a PC!

Ya noob :tongue:
Is amd a8-4555m apu with radeon(tm) hd graphics 1.60 ghz good for games like Roblox, Minecraft and mugen 1.1?

Latest