The Student Room Group

Am I dyslexic or unintelligent

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BewareTomato
I'be got a bursary at my current school, I don't want them to take it away from me because my mental conditions. :confused:

Honestly, while I know, telling someone you are ill, can sadly be connected with disadvantages, BUT:
1) The poeple who have to know, are usually more understanding, as it is their job and thus the probability is high you are not their first case.
2) Never only expect the worst case scenario!

Concerning the bursary: Honestly with those grades you are more likely to loose your bursary, if you don't tell them, because then they can assume, you would be totally able and are just lazy. (Exception might be a bursary which is solely given to you based on your parents income and in that case they don't care about anything else.) They can just help you, if you tell them how or tell them, that you need help. Otherwise they might be willing to help you, but have no clue you want them to help you.
GCSE:

Maths: B
English: C
Additional Science: A
Core Science: B
ICT BTEC: PASS

A/S: (Failed)

Biology: D
Chemistry: D
MAths: U
Psychology: U

Your GCSE's show that your not stupid and a D in chemistry and biology isn't bad. Work hard this coming year and try to get CCC, alot of unis will take you with those grades. What you really need to ask yourself is if you enjoy studying/ student life.
Original post by Bongo Bongo
Your GCSE's show that your not stupid and a D in chemistry and biology isn't bad. Work hard this coming year and try to get CCC, alot of unis will take you with those grades. What you really need to ask yourself is if you enjoy studying/ student life.

I do enjoy student life. But I'm ashamed to ask for help.
Dad asked if I need help with my exams.
I felt so ashamed!! :,( How can I tele him?
Dad asked if I need help with my exams.
I felt so ashamed!! :,( How can I tele him?

:hugs: You have nothing to be ashamed of. Loads of people have trouble with mental health problems and (potential) learning difficulties. Getting help just puts you on equal footing to others and you're not going to have everyone knowing. Its not your fault you're finding things difficult, but it is your responsibility to yourself to do what you can to make those difficulties easier

Your parents want to help you and see you happy. I bet they feel frustrated because they don't know how to, and you probably don't know how to tell them? Honestly, the best way to tell them is just do it. Once its out in the air, it will be easier. If you find it really hard to start a conversation, it might be easier to put it in a note or email for them? They might be able to support you in getting some more support from school.

I repeat that I really, really encourage you to ask for help, because if you don't ask you don't get, and you will also always wonder how much better you could have done, and what help you could have accessed if you don't. People are there to help you and that help is there to be taken up.
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
:hugs: You have nothing to be ashamed of. Loads of people have trouble with mental health problems and (potential) learning difficulties. Getting help just puts you on equal footing to others and you're not going to have everyone knowing. Its not your fault you're finding things difficult, but it is your responsibility to yourself to do what you can to make those difficulties easier

Your parents want to help you and see you happy. I bet they feel frustrated because they don't know how to, and you probably don't know how to tell them? Honestly, the best way to tell them is just do it. Once its out in the air, it will be easier. If you find it really hard to start a conversation, it might be easier to put it in a note or email for them? They might be able to support you in getting some more support from school.

I repeat that I really, really encourage you to ask for help, because if you don't ask you don't get, and you will also always wonder how much better you could have done, and what help you could have accessed if you don't. People are there to help you and that help is there to be taken up.

Thnka you.

I have told my school about therapy. And I have mention my struggles in learning to my parents & my therapist.

I now have a doctors appointment to figure out what is wrong with me.:redface:
Thnak you all :smile:
Hope the doctors appointment goes well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest