The Student Room Group

Finished A levels. Ask me anything!

Hi everyone,
I've seen a lot of posts on here recently from people about to start A levels or about to begin the UCAS process looking for advice, so I thought I'd start a discussion to answer questions from the perspective of someone who's just gone through it all. I've just finished year 13 studying Biology, English Language and Maths, with an AS in Psychology from last year. I am by no means a straight A* student- I was predicted AAB, my offer was ABB (Cardiff, biosciences) and I ended up with AAC which was accepted :smile:
If there's anything you want to know about A levels, applying to uni or anything like that feel free to ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm just about to start A Levels, and I'm doing similar subjects to you- Biology, English Language, Psychology and Business studies. Would you say this general combination of subjects works well? I got B's and A's in my GCSE, so whilst I'd like a challenging and respected combination of subjects, I'd really like to avoid any combination thats going to murder me. How difficult did you find the subjects, in general? Also I'm hoping to do well in my A Levels so i can apply to good unis' like the Russell Group, and I'm particularly interested in York.I'm not sure what I'd study yet, but I've been looking at Business and management type things. Do you think these subjects are good for well respected university's? Thanks, this thread is a really good idea!
Reply 2
Original post by badgerfox
Hi everyone,
I've seen a lot of posts on here recently from people about to start A levels or about to begin the UCAS process looking for advice, so I thought I'd start a discussion to answer questions from the perspective of someone who's just gone through it all. I've just finished year 13 studying Biology, English Language and Maths, with an AS in Psychology from last year. I am by no means a straight A* student- I was predicted AAB, my offer was ABB (Cardiff, biosciences) and I ended up with AAC which was accepted :smile:
If there's anything you want to know about A levels, applying to uni or anything like that feel free to ask!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What was your choice of stay-awake drink/foods?
Reply 3
Original post by Jess_P
I'm just about to start A Levels, and I'm doing similar subjects to you- Biology, English Language, Psychology and Business studies. Would you say this general combination of subjects works well? I got B's and A's in my GCSE, so whilst I'd like a challenging and respected combination of subjects, I'd really like to avoid any combination thats going to murder me. How difficult did you find the subjects, in general? Also I'm hoping to do well in my A Levels so i can apply to good unis' like the Russell Group, and I'm particularly interested in York.I'm not sure what I'd study yet, but I've been looking at Business and management type things. Do you think these subjects are good for well respected university's? Thanks, this thread is a really good idea!

Hello! Yes I would say that's a nice range of subjects that will keep your options open but give you enough grounding for most courses...
Just so you know, if you change your mind about the business/management route at all and think about doing something sciencey, it's good that you've got two subjects that are regarded as sciences - Bio and Psychology - as having a second science will help your uni application a lot! I've just looked at the York entry requirements and you'd be fine in terms of your subjects as long as you got the grades, but have a look at business and management courses at other universities and double check that they don't ask for anything specific. For Management at Bristol, for example, they require A level Maths, so it just depends on where else you're thinking of applying - you usually apply to 5 :smile:

If you're pretty analytically/science minded, which it seems that you are from your subject choices, I think you'll find English Language pretty straightforward because it's all about picking texts apart and thinking about why the writer/speaker used the language they did. What exam board will you be with? I did OCR and found that at AS, Psychology and English together were pretty useful as half the English course in year 12 was based on child language acquisition, and some of the theories from the two subjects overlapped which obviously saved time on revision! My main tip would be to memorise all the theories you're given in just enough detail and stick LOADS into your essays for the top marks :smile:

Biology and Psychology are pretty heavy on remembering facts. I found Psychology (AQA) was easier in terms of the content, because it was literally just remembering the aim, method, findings and conclusion for loads of different studies, but for me this because a bit boring after a while which is why I dropped it, but don't let that put you off haha, just personal interest. Flash cards worked really well for me with Psych, because most of the stuff to remember is little bits of information and numerical results, so make up some cards and get someone to do quick fire questions with you if you think that will work for you too.

Out of the three we have in common I'd say Biology will probably be the hardest but definitely nothing impossible, and by far the most interesting, even if I'm a bit biased :wink: You cover loads more topics than you did at GCSE and in more detail, and depending on your exam board some stuff will overlap with Psychology which is again good for revision. It's also probably the most "traditional" and "respected" subject out of the four that you have though, so it would be good to have it when it comes to applying to uni. I'd say for that, go over your notes/class work from that day the same evening. Whereas the others you might be able to revise a bit later on, really make sure you're going over key biology concepts until you understand them from the beginning, because a lot of the exam questions will be applying methods you've learned to new situations, so it's good to cement everything in your brain as soon as possible haha :smile:

The only other thing I can think of in terms of your subject choices is that it's often said that well-respected universities prefer "traditional" A level subjects when they make offers - the three sciences, English, Maths, History and languages etc. I'm not sure about how accurate this is (Google it, there are loads of articles about it) but depending on which universities you apply to it might be something to consider - check the websites of universities you're interested in to see if anything is recommended for a particular course or not. I wouldn't worry about this too much when deciding on what to study though - I got 5 offers, 4 of those were from Russell Group unis and we have almost the same subjects :smile:

The most important thing is to study what you're interested in at the end of the day because you'll want to do well, and enjoy your time at sixth form/college, it will go very quickly! Hope this helps and good luck :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Nat_LPS
What was your choice of stay-awake drink/foods?

Staying healthy :wink: It sounds impossible but try and stick to a routine: work pretty solidly during the day, in your free periods and after school, and then leave a couple of hours in the evening free to relax and do what you want to do, and make sure you get enough sleep. Starting revision early and taking care of yourself will save you when it comes to exams, trust me!
Reply 5
How did you find the step up from AS to A2? Are you more likely to succeed at A2? If so why do you think that is?
Reply 6
Original post by kingdoo
How did you find the step up from AS to A2? Are you more likely to succeed at A2? If so why do you think that is?

It completely depends on the subject. English I actually found easier this year, whereas Maths and Biology were a fair step up. I don't know what you're studying so prepare yourself for the same sort of difference as there was from GCSE to AS and you won't go wrong - most subjects won't change that much so you'll be pleasantly surprised :smile:

Personally, I don't think so, but I can only speak for myself and I know loads of people who improved by a grade - or even more with retakes - so it can be done! I was obsessive over my personal statement and having enough work experience at the beginning of year 13, so a lot of my time and energy went there instead, plus I'd already achieved what I wanted at AS so I wasn't really aiming to improve my grades, just maintain them, if that makes sense :smile: I think it all just depends on the person and your goals - if I'd not met my targets in year 12 it would have been a bit of a wake up call and I would have stepped up the amount of work I put into year 13. Sorry I can't be more helpful on that one!
Reply 7
It completely depends on the subject. English I actually found easier this year, whereas Maths and Biology were a fair step up. I don't know what you're studying so prepare yourself for the same sort of difference as there was from GCSE to AS and you won't go wrong - most subjects won't change that much so you'll be pleasantly surprised :smile:

Personally, I don't think so, but I can only speak for myself and I know loads of people who improved by a grade - or even more with retakes - so it can be done! I was obsessive over my personal statement and having enough work experience at the beginning of year 13, so a lot of my time and energy went there instead, plus I'd already achieved what I wanted at AS so I wasn't really aiming to improve my grades, just maintain them, if that makes sense :smile: I think it all just depends on the person and your goals - if I'd not met my targets in year 12 it would have been a bit of a wake up call and I would have stepped up the amount of work I put into year 13. Sorry I can't be more helpful on that one!

OK this was quite useful thankyou.

I will be doing economics, psychology and geography if that helps...

When I mean do people do better I meant do they tend to get better grades in their A2 exams not their retakes. Because it is understandable that people improve on their retakes.

Also yeah I agree personal statement which I have already done 2200 characters for will probably be my main focus at the start of the year.

Did you get all your offers? Where did you apply to and why? What subject have you chosen to take at uni? For all subjects in general is the content more interesting at A2 compared to AS? When do you recommend to start revising? (I think I will start revising after Christmas, but will constantly be preparing revision notes even if I don't intend to learn them from the start in September.)
Reply 8
Original post by kingdoo
OK this was quite useful thankyou.

I will be doing economics, psychology and geography if that helps...

When I mean do people do better I meant do they tend to get better grades in their A2 exams not their retakes. Because it is understandable that people improve on their retakes.

Also yeah I agree personal statement which I have already done 2200 characters for will probably be my main focus at the start of the year.

Did you get all your offers? Where did you apply to and why? What subject have you chosen to take at uni? For all subjects in general is the content more interesting at A2 compared to AS? When do you recommend to start revising? (I think I will start revising after Christmas, but will constantly be preparing revision notes even if I don't intend to learn them from the start in September.)

No worries! Yeah, sorry I didn't phrase that very well, I meant I know people who have gone up by a grade overall without retaking anything from AS, so it can work that way for some people. It would be very difficult to improve your end result by more than one grade without retaking anything, but obviously those who do can come out with much better results than they did on the first attempt :smile:

The only one of those I know a bit about is Psychology (my sixth form does AQA) - at A2 apparently there is a bit of a step up and the exam questions become a lot more essay based, with more assessment objectives than at AS, but I'm not too sure about the actual content...

It's great that you've managed to get a fair bit done already, this will definitely come in useful at the beginning of the year! What course and universities are you hoping to apply for?
Yeah I did get all of my offers - Bristol, Exeter, Nottingham, Cardiff and Reading to study Zoology. I chose these because their versions of the course looked the most interesting, and I aimed to have two with a high offer, two slightly lower and one as a backup (Reading). In the end I chose Cardiff, even though it's not as high in the league tables for biological sciences as some of the others, because I just preferred the location and the general "feel" of the uni when I went to visit - they were very helpful and accommodating in terms of what I wanted to do with my degree, recommending final year research project topics etc, and I just got a much better overall impression from them than I had from some of the others.

I think the subject content is definitely more interesting at A2, or at least it was for my subjects, but I think that was just because of how the different topics were organised into the units, rather than the step up from AS. And personally I like to start right from the beginning, revising and consolidating things as I'm learning them, so your plan of making notes from the start and stepping it up after Christmas sounds good, just as long as you're including lots of detail and reading back the notes as you go so that when it gets to Christmas it's all pretty familiar to you :smile: Good luck!
Reply 9
Hi, im taking maths, health and social, and applied science. Is this a good combination in your opinion.

Oh and how did you find the maths in college?
No worries! Yeah, sorry I didn't phrase that very well, I meant I know people who have gone up by a grade overall without retaking anything from AS, so it can work that way for some people. It would be very difficult to improve your end result by more than one grade without retaking anything, but obviously those who do can come out with much better results than they did on the first attempt :smile:

The only one of those I know a bit about is Psychology (my sixth form does AQA) - at A2 apparently there is a bit of a step up and the exam questions become a lot more essay based, with more assessment objectives than at AS, but I'm not too sure about the actual content...

It's great that you've managed to get a fair bit done already, this will definitely come in useful at the beginning of the year! What course and universities are you hoping to apply for?
Yeah I did get all of my offers - Bristol, Exeter, Nottingham, Cardiff and Reading to study Zoology. I chose these because their versions of the course looked the most interesting, and I aimed to have two with a high offer, two slightly lower and one as a backup (Reading). In the end I chose Cardiff, even though it's not as high in the league tables for biological sciences as some of the others, because I just preferred the location and the general "feel" of the uni when I went to visit - they were very helpful and accommodating in terms of what I wanted to do with my degree, recommending final year research project topics etc, and I just got a much better overall impression from them than I had from some of the others.

I think the subject content is definitely more interesting at A2, or at least it was for my subjects, but I think that was just because of how the different topics were organised into the units, rather than the step up from AS. And personally I like to start right from the beginning, revising and consolidating things as I'm learning them, so your plan of making notes from the start and stepping it up after Christmas sounds good, just as long as you're including lots of detail and reading back the notes as you go so that when it gets to Christmas it's all pretty familiar to you :smile: Good luck!

Oh right currently I have got ABBBB and I need ABB for uni. I want to go to Leicester and like you I don't care that it is less prestigious although it is ranked quite highly. I want to maintain these grades though and I will hopefully try and achieve AAB this year as one of the B's I am continuing is only 7ums off an A. And I cannot be bothered to get a remark I am just going to make up for it next year.

I do OCR psychology and we do forensics and health and clinical psychology all I know is that it is very different in the case that we learn about 96 case studies (ahh) and we do more essay based questions (which I prefer because it means you can include more information and it therefore assesses more of your strengths.

Currently I am looking at geography at Leicester, York, UEA, Sheffield and Keele/Swansea for my lower offers. Currently I need AAB for Sheffield, ABB for all the others bar Keele/Swansea which are BBB. I am hoping to be predicted A*AB/A*AA/AAA?AAB I am hoping either AAA or A*AB and hopefully I will be given an unconditional offer. Zoology must be very interesting hope you enjoy it. And yeah your reasons for choosing Cardiff are the reasons why I love Leicester which is most probably going to be my firm.

OK yeah I am basically going to do what you do when revising your studies.

A few more questions...

How long did it take to get all your offers?

Can you firm a uni straight away for example say Leicester gave me a offer a week after I sent it off whereas Sheffield takes 8 weeks to give me an offer, can I firm Leicester straight away or do I have to wait for all my offers?

When did you apply? I am guessing you applied quite early?

What do you recommend when doing your personal statement?

Is it advisable to read important books around your subject I.E.geography? Or are you OK with talking about general achievements and what not?
I have just finished my AS Levels and am doing Physics, Psychology, Maths and Chemistry but am dropping Physics. I am trying to write my personal statement to study Chemistry at uni but I'm really struggling and have no idea what to include. Have you got any advice as to what I could include?
How did you revise for your A levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I wondered if you'd knew anyone or know for a fact if universities give the benefit of the doubt? I mean that in the sense that I didn't do as well as I'd hoped this year in my AS's and got a BBCC (really devastated). However, I do know exactly where I went wrong in some of those cases and also I didn't work as hard as I could have. Moreover, I got all A's and A*'s at GCSE and my grades were really close to the grade boundary for the next grade up (2-10 UMS). I'm taking biology, chemistry, psychology and geography. If say I wanted to get into Kings College or Exeter (who all give AAB typical offers) to study biochemistry, if my predicted grades were AAB then is there still a chance of an offer?
Any things you wished you did when studying AS Biology and English Language?
Hey! How did big was the jump from GCSEs to A-Levels for you? Or did you find that there wasn't really that much if a jump for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Hi everyone,

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just wanted to ask if you have AS student book chemistry and physics solution and also AS hodder chemistry book solution. :colondollar: I am really desperate to have themas I am repeating AS,plz help.:smile:
Reply 17
Was Biology hard?
Reply 18
Original post by Lisamillo
Hi, im taking maths, health and social, and applied science. Is this a good combination in your opinion.

Oh and how did you find the maths in college?

Hi. It all depends on what you aim to use them for - university? What sort of course? But it looks like a fairly wide range if you're planning on keeping your options open. Maths is a "traditional" subject whereas the others are considered not so much, but whether this makes any difference all depends on what you want to do after college really :smile:

Maths is a good A level to have as it's viewed as traditional and very well respected by top universities. For me, it was probably the toughest subject out of the four I took in sixth form, it's a fair step up from GCSE and you need to be prepared to put the work in - I never really revised for GCSE maths because I picked things up pretty easily, so it was weird having to figure out a way to revise A level maths - but I found that writing out a set of instructions for each of the methods and doing loaaads of past papers helped me out a lot. It's quite challenging but it's rewarding once you start to understand things, and it was definitely worth it because it's a really good subject to have!
Reply 19
Original post by kingdoo
Oh right currently I have got ABBBB and I need ABB for uni. I want to go to Leicester and like you I don't care that it is less prestigious although it is ranked quite highly. I want to maintain these grades though and I will hopefully try and achieve AAB this year as one of the B's I am continuing is only 7ums off an A. And I cannot be bothered to get a remark I am just going to make up for it next year.

I do OCR psychology and we do forensics and health and clinical psychology all I know is that it is very different in the case that we learn about 96 case studies (ahh) and we do more essay based questions (which I prefer because it means you can include more information and it therefore assesses more of your strengths.

Currently I am looking at geography at Leicester, York, UEA, Sheffield and Keele/Swansea for my lower offers. Currently I need AAB for Sheffield, ABB for all the others bar Keele/Swansea which are BBB. I am hoping to be predicted A*AB/A*AA/AAA?AAB I am hoping either AAA or A*AB and hopefully I will be given an unconditional offer. Zoology must be very interesting hope you enjoy it. And yeah your reasons for choosing Cardiff are the reasons why I love Leicester which is most probably going to be my firm.

OK yeah I am basically going to do what you do when revising your studies.

A few more questions...

How long did it take to get all your offers?

Can you firm a uni straight away for example say Leicester gave me a offer a week after I sent it off whereas Sheffield takes 8 weeks to give me an offer, can I firm Leicester straight away or do I have to wait for all my offers?

When did you apply? I am guessing you applied quite early?

What do you recommend when doing your personal statement?

Is it advisable to read important books around your subject I.E.geography? Or are you OK with talking about general achievements and what not?

Definitely seems do-able, hope it all goes well for you next summer.

Haha fair enough, essays in exams aren't really my favourite so I'm glad I got out of that one!

That's a good combination; it was definitely a good idea for me picking five with a range of offers because it gives you peace of mind for in case you start falling behind a bit halfway through A2 - which I'm sure you won't though! How come you think you will be given an unconditional offer? Unless you've already met the conditions of the offer the university would usually give you (i.e. made up the UCAS points with your AS levels already), or have a really exceptional personal statement or something then it's highly unlikely...

My first offer came in around two weeks after I sent off my application (in mid November), then I had three more in around the two weeks after that. Cardiff was my last offer and took until MARCH to give me an offer haha... I nearly withdrew the choice and firmed Exeter because I thought they'd never get back to me! So it can really be any sort of timescale.

You can only make your firm and insurance choices once you've received decisions from all of your universities. However, this includes your withdrawal from choices as well, so, for example, if you get your an from Leicester and an offer from Keele/Swansea, you can withdraw your application to the others and make these your firm and insurance choices. There's really not a lot of point in doing this though, because your offers aren't going to go anywhere, so you might as well wait until all the decisions have been made in case you want to change your mind later in the year :smile:

Having the draft for your personal statement done already will come in really useful, even if it's just the bare bones... In your first week of sixth form ask your Geography teacher and/or your tutor to read it and arrange a time sit down with you and go through it. Try and do this as soon as possible because everyone will start doing the same in a few weeks and you'll be waiting for feedback for ages! Don't start giving it to everyone as it's got to be a reflection of who you are, not everyone else. Mine was about 30% talking about how and why I was passionate about the subject and then 70% about my achievements, future plans, work experience etc. I'd recommend getting some relevant work experience if you haven't already and talk about how it's made you want to study Geography even more, and talking about what you aim to do after your degree as well. When I got my offer from Reading the admissions person emailed me and sort of deconstructed my personal statement, recommending opportunities that she thought I'd like to take to help with my future career, so it can be really useful to include that somewhere to see what the universities can offer you, and I think they like to see that you've got a plan!

As for books, I started reading one related to my course, and I literally just put in my personal statement "I have recently started reading... which has furthered my knowledge of..." and that was apparently enough to get all my offers, so I don't think it's essential but it would probably help a little bit :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest