The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get 140g of protein per day...

Without protein powder and whilst still maintaining a balanced diet?

It takes me 2 or 3 days to recover from a workout and I didn't think this was right. I did some research and found out I should be eating at least 140g on workout days and currently I rarely hit 50g. I know I'll have to make some pretty big diet changes but is it possible at all?

Scroll to see replies

Just out of interest, why do you need to avoid protein shakes?

Original post by TheDaylighter
Without protein powder
Original post by Autistic Merit
Just out of interest, why do you need to avoid protein shakes?

It's not really that I need to avoid them it's that my mum refuses to buy them and I can't afford them yet:frown:
Reply 3

It takes me 2 or 3 days to recover from a workout and I didn't think this was right. I did some research and found out I should be eating at least 140g on workout days and currently I rarely hit 50g. I know I'll have to make some pretty big diet changes but is it possible at all?

1.4 - 1.7 grams / kg body weight / day is about as much as you could possibly need; anything more than this will quite literally get flushed down the toilet. How much would this give you?
Original post by alex193
1.4 - 1.7 grams / kg body weight / day is about as much as you could possibly need; anything more than this will quite literally get flushed down the toilet. How much would this give you?

95 - 115g. Thanks, that sounds much more achievable!:smile:

Eat lots of chicken and fish. I've hit 180g for today without a shake and I managed that with 1600 cals. Shakes are just more convenient and cheaper than cooking chicken and fish every day
Original post by JackNorman
Eat lots of chicken and fish. I've hit 180g for today without a shake and I managed that with 1600 cals. Shakes are just more convenient and cheaper than cooking chicken and fish every day

Alright, thanks!
Original post by alex193

Well, no, it's not going to get flushed down the toilet - it's just going to fulfil the AAs ketogenic/glucogenic roles (i.e be used as fuel). What a terribly inefficient system would have evolved if our body could only digest such small amounts of protein. For me, 1.7g/kg is only 136g!
op how much do you weigh?, you only really need one gram per lb lean bodymass
Original post by Greg Jackson
op how much do you weigh?, you only really need one gram per lb lean bodymass

I weigh 68kg of 150lbs. How do I know what my lean body mass is?
Just convince your mum that it'll be far cheaper and more convenient to neck a shake or two a day

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by commandant
Just convince your mum that it'll be far cheaper and more convenient to neck a shake or two a day

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most mums think protein powder is a step away from steroids lol. My mum hates it as do all my friends' mums. My mum doesn't have a clue and I've told her as such but she still thinks it's the devil.
Original post by illusionz
Most mums think protein powder is a step away from steroids lol. My mum hates it as do all my friends' mums. My mum doesn't have a clue and I've told her as such but she still thinks it's the devil.

Yeah my mum practically threw a fit when I asked, insisting I only eat real food :/
Oh and I forgot to mention, I'm lactose intolerant and don't eat any seafood, how does that change things?
Yeah my mum practically threw a fit when I asked, insisting I only eat real food :/

She probably doesn't know what it actually is. It's a by product of cheese production and has historically been used in dog food. It's perfectly safe and healthy, and it is also used in treatment of terminal patients who cannot get their required protein from solid foods. It's as much a 'real' food as powdered milk is. Ask her if she ever used formula milk for you - that might throw her as the answer is almost certainly yes.

Those reasons may help - my mum objects mainly because she thinks I'm going to end up looking like Arnie lol
Oh and I forgot to mention, I'm lactose intolerant and don't eat any seafood, how does that change things?

My friend is mildly lactose intolerant and is fine with whey. Some people might not be though. You can also get casein protein but it's more pricey.
She probably doesn't know what it actually is. It's a by product of cheese production and has historically been used in dog food. It's perfectly safe and healthy, and it is also used in treatment of terminal patients who cannot get their required protein from solid foods. It's as much a 'real' food as powdered milk is. Ask her if she ever used formula milk for you - that might throw her as the answer is almost certainly yes.

Those reasons may help - my mum objects mainly because she thinks I'm going to end up looking like Arnie lol

Ooh I didn't know this, it probably will help, thanks!

I never had any problems, but then I just bought it and used it regardless lol.

My housemate in uni had a lot of trouble with his parents, they wouldn't let him near the stuff. I went to stay at his house once and we went shopping and bought one of those metal espresso makers which go on the hob. His parents wouldn't let him use it because they were afraid that the metal would poison him :tongue:

Funnily enough he was the one who was always interested in 'experimenting' with substances, so obviously his parents being overly harsh on things like that had the wrong affect!
Original post by commandant
I just bought it and used it regardless lol.

Same, doesn't stop her disliking it though! She seems to think that it's the sole reason I'm putting on weight when in reality it's the fact I'm eating extra bread/pasta/meat/peanut butter etc as well.

...currently I rarely hit 50g.

I can't see how its even possible to only eat 50g of protein a day unless you get all of your calories from Haribo or something...

Quick Reply

Latest