The Student Room Group

Any one else getting tired of this ice bucket business

Anyone else getting pissed off with people who are doing this stupid ice bucket challenge ?

I swear this just shows what sort of a narcissistic sheepish,immature society we have become.
I Absolutely despise this new social networking attention seeking generation we have created.

How the hell can throwing flipping water on your head became popular i will never know

Scroll to see replies

$40 million dollars raised for the ALS Association in the space of a month - over double what they normally receive in a year - plus a huge rise in awareness, and you're angry about this why exactly?
Original post by Captain Haddock
$40 million dollars raised for the ALS Association in the space of a month - over double what they normally receive in a year - plus a huge rise in awareness, and you're angry about this why exactly?

But why waste water to gather charity?
Original post by AlligatorSky

Because most people think the huge boost in donations is worth the negligible impact on our water supply.
Two points as to why I find it so annoying:

1) the essence of the ALS challenge has been lost. Far too many people who I see doing the challenge now simply call it the 'ice bucket challenge'. They don't refer to any charity or why they are doing it.

2) this challenge seems to be the most important thing in the world. While we can all agree that campaigning for charity is great, it's tiring to see it all over Facebook and then all over the media.
Original post by AlligatorSky

'waste water'
:facepalm:
It is a waste of water. It's a water of clean drinking water.
Original post by h3isenberg
'waste water'
:facepalm:
(edited 9 years ago)
Another thing that gets on my nerves is that im pretty sure most of the people doing this stupid challenge are not donating to charity.
They are just throwing water on their head for no reason
Most of the people now don't even put ice over their head. It was darren fletcher(footballer) along with the class of 92 -gary neville ,scholes etc who originally helped the promote it for the james mgcarthy foundation and it only started to become popular and gaining a trend after darren fletcher nominated cristiano ronaldo in early august which gained 10 mill views on youtube. Then cr7 nominated jennifer lopez beyonce and lil wayne which eventually started the trend
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
It is a waste of water. It's a water of clean drinking water.

As if no one else ever 'wastes water' themselves... And this is for a good cause.

Everyone should stop taking long showers and baths because that's a waste of water that people in poorer countries could drink.
I bet you leave the tap running unnecessarily when you brush your teeth :rolleyes:
As if no one else ever 'wastes water' themselves... And this is for a good cause.

Everyone should stop taking long showers and baths because that's a waste of water that people in poorer countries could drink.
I bet you leave the tap running unnecessarily when you brush your teeth :rolleyes:

I'm not saying it's a significant waste, I'm just saying it's a waste nonetheless, which you seemed to disagree with.
Two points as to why I find it so annoying:

1) the essence of the ALS challenge has been lost. Far too many people who I see doing the challenge now simply call it the 'ice bucket challenge'. They don't refer to any charity or why they are doing it.

2) this challenge seems to be the most important thing in the world. While we can all agree that campaigning for charity is great, it's tiring to see it all over Facebook and then all over the media.

YES!
Original post by matthewduncan
Anyone else getting pissed off with people who are doing this stupid ice bucket challenge ?

I swear this just shows what sort of a narcissistic sheepish,immature society we have become.
I Absolutely despise this new social networking attention seeking generation we have created.

How the hell can throwing flipping water on your head became popular i will never know

Yeah most people i know doing it have no freakin clue what ALS is!
Original post by matthewduncan
Another thing that gets on my nerves is that im pretty sure most of the people doing this stupid challenge are not donating to charity.
They are just throwing water on their head for no reason

Come now... There is a reason. It makes them look "fun" and "up for anything".

Deepest kommendations to all who have done the Challenge. You suffered brief, minor discomfort and had to get changed, and you did it like heroes.
It's a bit tiring seeing it everywhere, yes. Perhaps some people are doing it for the kudos and because it's trendy and not donating money. But you can't really argue with the incredible amount of money that has been raised as a direct result of the whole thing. That's the bottom line.

Hopefully in the future some other worthy causes will benefit from similar campaigns.
You need to chill
I'm not saying it's a significant waste, I'm just saying it's a waste nonetheless, which you seemed to disagree with.

It's completely insignificant. People waste food by throwing leftovers in the bin, it's a waste of food. People take long showers, it's a waste of water. Doing the ice bucket challenge has had a positive effect, so a waste of water is irrelevant when you take into account that everyone wastes water in their lives. Water is only classed as being wasted because it could potentially quench the thirst of the unfortunate in this case.

Most of the water from the challenge just ends up in the hydrologic cycle anyway.
What's funny is that it started out as "you donate to ALS in the next 24 hours OR you throw a bucket of ice over your head". So anyone who donated shouldn't have actually done the ice water thing.

Patrick Stewart had the right idea. :cool:

It's completely insignificant. People waste food by throwing leftovers in the bin, it's a waste of food. People take long showers, it's a waste of water. Doing the ice bucket challenge has had a positive effect, so a waste of water is irrelevant when you take into account that everyone wastes water in their lives. Water is only classed as being wasted because it could potentially quench the thirst of the unfortunate in this case.

Well yes all these things are a waste, but just because everybody wastes things doesn't make it any less of a waste. You disagreed with the fact that it was a waste at all
Most of the water from the challenge just ends up in the hydrologic cycle anyway.

While that is true, the waste is from the fact that this water is most likely from a tap, and so has been treated to ensure it is suitable for consumption.
may I bring your attention to this

Deal with it :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest