The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Starting rowing at Warwick.

Hey, I'm starting at Warwick this Autumn and I was interested in starting rowing whilst at uni. I was just wondering if anyone on tsr knew how frequently they train as well as whether there's any base fitness standards to row at the club? I'm fine with dedicating a lot of my time to rowing but my fitness has declined during this last year of a levels and, whilst I've improved preparing for rowing, I'm still not very fit. To those in the know, how much of an issue do you think this would be?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by mctruffle
Hey, I'm starting at Warwick this Autumn and I was interested in starting rowing whilst at uni. I was just wondering if anyone on tsr knew how frequently they train as well as whether there's any base fitness standards to row at the club? I'm fine with dedicating a lot of my time to rowing but my fitness has declined during this last year of a levels and, whilst I've improved preparing for rowing, I'm still not very fit. To those in the know, how much of an issue do you think this would be?

Thanks.

I can't say I know 100% everything about it, but my friend and flatmate was on the rowing team last year during our first year. It was very competitive to get a place on the team, and fitness tests were mandatory. They train almost every morning (5am time) even during exam time too. To get onto the team, you have to pass trials too.

Sadly rowing is one of the more exclusive and serious sports clubs at Warwick but they are also very talented and work hard so don't let it put you off, they just expect a very high level of commitment almost above anything else. :smile:

Hope I helped!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
I can't say I know 100% everything about it, but my friend and flatmate was on the rowing team last year during our first year. It was very competitive to get a place on the team, and fitness tests were mandatory. They train almost every morning (5am time) even during exam time too. To get onto the team, you have to pass trials too.

Sadly rowing is one of the more exclusive and serious sports clubs at Warwick but they are also very talented and work hard so don't let it put you off, they just expect a very high level of commitment almost above anything else.

Hope I helped!

Thank you, yeah you did.

Do you know if anyone trained from scratch to make it onto the team in the second/third year?
Reply 3
Thank you, yeah you did.

Do you know if anyone trained from scratch to make it onto the team in the second/third year?

Your first test is a 1k row, aiming to get under 3:30 or so, at rate 24 (I think) - at least, it was last year. You get a fair few weeks of training, both physical and technique, before having to undertake it and yeah many people won't have done it before. It's perfectly possible to build up to it if you're dedicated enough.

The fact you've already begun improving for it is a good start. :smile:
Reply 4
Your first test is a 1k row, aiming to get under 3:30 or so, at rate 24 (I think) - at least, it was last year. You get a fair few weeks of training, both physical and technique, before having to undertake it and yeah many people won't have done it before. It's perfectly possible to build up to it if you're dedicated enough.

The fact you've already begun improving for it is a good start.

I read that as a 2k and started panicking, haha. I think I should be able to do that so long as I keep practicing. I've still got 4 weeks until I actually need to be in Warwick.

Just out of curiosity, what happens to those who don't make the team? Are they sorted into 2nd and 3rd teams or do they just keep training until they can make a team?
Reply 5
I read that as a 2k and started panicking, haha. I think I should be able to do that so long as I keep practicing. I've still got 4 weeks until I actually need to be in Warwick.

Just out of curiosity, what happens to those who don't make the team? Are they sorted into 2nd and 3rd teams or do they just keep training until they can make a team?

You get cut from the squad. And that's about it. As far as I know you can keep coming to trainings afterwards, but there's multiple cuts so you'd have to be working very hard to catch up if you miss the first one.

Like one of the posters above said, it's competitive :P
Reply 6
You get cut from the squad. And that's about it. As far as I know you can keep coming to trainings afterwards, but there's multiple cuts so you'd have to be working very hard to catch up if you miss the first one.

Like one of the posters above said, it's competitive :P

Ok, thank you very much.
Reply 7
I think it's 6 days of training per week or something mad like that. Very early starts. It's probably the most serious sports club in the uni. If you work hard you'll achieve well though.

Quick Reply

Latest