The Student Room Group

Japanese or Korean?

so i have been interested in japanese for a long time and have basic knowledge of it from self-study and evening classes, but this year i've started to really get into korean as well. unfortunately the uni i'm interested in doesn't offer korean, nor am i aware of any joint courses for those two languages at beginner's level, so... what now? D:

i like korean but i'm afraid it may be too difficult. japanese is easy for me because in terms of pronunciation, it is just syllables, whereas korean always felt like aenubeauobuea to me and it is intimidating, haha.

are there any students of either language here with some experience of the other language as well? if so, which do you find easier or more fun to learn? and if not, what made you choose just one of these?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by khitman
so i have been interested in japanese for a long time and have basic knowledge of it from self-study and evening classes, but this year i've started to really get into korean as well. unfortunately the uni i'm interested in doesn't offer korean, nor am i aware of any joint courses for those two languages at beginner's level, so... what now? D:

i like korean but i'm afraid it may be too difficult. japanese is easy for me because in terms of pronunciation, it is just syllables, whereas korean always felt like aenubeauobuea to me and it is intimidating, haha.

are there any students of either language here with some experience of the other language as well? if so, which do you find easier or more fun to learn? and if not, what made you choose just one of these?

Japanese for sure. Koreans are quite racist and it wouldnt matter how perfect your Korean is, they still wouldnt date you or be your friend.
Reply 2
haha sorry pal but i have more korean friends than japanese! that's very stereotypical of you to say. anyhow most asian nations are known to be slightly xenophobic, particularly in rural areas, but it's not something that should be taken as a general reflection of the country as a whole. i do not desire any more ignorant responses, thank you very much.
Original post by khitman
haha sorry pal but i have more korean friends than japanese! that's very stereotypical of you to say. anyhow most asian nations are known to be slightly xenophobic, particularly in rural areas, but it's not something that should be taken as a general reflection of the country as a whole. i do not desire any more ignorant responses, thank you very much.

Haha Koreans do blackface sketches on TV and are INCREDIBLY xenophobic even in Seoul. Why ask whether to study Korean or Japanese then if youre clearly on one side already. Pointless thread.
Reply 4
I don't know, personally I've found Korean to be easier just for the fact that they have a very simple writing system. With Japanese I've only ever bothered to learn katakana and have never picked up a Japanese book again. LOL

If there are more opportunities to study Japanese and that's what you enjoy, then go ahead and study that. Leave Korean for another time.
Original post by khitman

I am currently learning Japanese (Only recently started). I have learned a little bit of Korean, and I prefer Japanese at the moment. I'm not aware of the Korean writing system, but the Japanese one is quite difficult, but I imagine it is worth the effort.
I find korean to be easier.
In terms of learning, there are more Japanese resources online to aid you with your learning.
I will start learning korean again as I forgot most of it. H
If you do go ahead with it, then feel free to pm for korean resources I use. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
"king max", i asked about the languages, not for your whining, thanks.

Original post by cuppa
I don't know, personally I've found Korean to be easier just for the fact that they have a very simple writing system. With Japanese I've only ever bothered to learn katakana and have never picked up a Japanese book again. LOL

If there are more opportunities to study Japanese and that's what you enjoy, then go ahead and study that. Leave Korean for another time.

oh really.. did you not think korean was difficult when you started out, either? i've just skimmed an online tutorial and even saying the greeting is a little tricky haha. thank you!

Original post by EXTREMEninja
I am currently learning Japanese (Only recently started). I have learned a little bit of Korean, and I prefer Japanese at the moment. I'm not aware of the Korean writing system, but the Japanese one is quite difficult, but I imagine it is worth the effort.

oh yes i know 2/3 of the writing systems for japanese, though i did hear korean is much easier in terms of that. thank you!

Original post by missfats
I find korean to be easier.
In terms of learning, there are more Japanese resources online to aid you with your learning.
I will start learning korean again as I forgot most of it. H
If you do go ahead with it, then feel free to pm for korean resources I use. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

talktomeinkorean is the only site i found so far that seems any good! but you're right, there's much more on japanese.
thank you! i will :biggrin:
Original post by khitman

oh really.. did you not think korean was difficult when you started out, either? i've just skimmed an online tutorial and even saying the greeting is a little tricky haha. thank you!

oh yes i know 2/3 of the writing systems for japanese, though i did hear korean is much easier in terms of that. thank you!

talktomeinkorean is the only site i found so far that seems any good! but you're right, there's much more on japanese.
thank you! i will :biggrin:

I only learned a little Korean (Martial arts club thing) so I cannot really say whether it is difficult or not, but I prefer Japanese. Hiragana and Katakana I assume? I would be impressed if you had mastered Kanji XD
Original post by khitman

bro do you even lift? :cool:
Original post by King Max
Japanese for sure. Koreans are quite racist and it wouldnt matter how perfect your Korean is, they still wouldnt date you or be your friend.

Original post by khitman

koreans are not very nice people, they are very racist and prejudiced japan is very nice people
Original post by kill a man shank
koreans are not very nice people, they are very racist and prejudiced japan is very nice people

A MAN WHO KNOWS! Koreans are very unpleasantly racist.
Original post by King Max
A MAN WHO KNOWS! Koreans are very unpleasantly racist.

yeah my dad rents out properties and i always tell him never let a korean
Original post by kill a man shank
yeah my dad rents out properties and i always tell him never let a korean

ok...thats too far. They may be racist no need to sink to their level though :/
Depends, do you see yourself moving to or spending long periods in either country? Otherwise trying to learn the language will be pretty pointless. I know people who have studied Japanese at degree level, then left feeling completely stranded once in country because they have found their language skills lacking.

So if you one day plan to reside or work in one of these countries there is no point learning the language of the other, no matter how much you practice in your home country, your skills will always be rough unless you polish them in either the country of the language, or a community of that languages speakers.
Japanese is the best option, + much more sought after in an employers eyes than korean. I'm also learning Japanese. They are foreigner friendly and at worst a little curious, nothing like racism you may/will encounter in Korea.

Checkout Youtube to see how people find Japan being foreigners
Channels for Japanese vloggers: Kanadajin, Rhymingaijin are good.
Reply 16
I'm fluent in Japanese and know some Korean too.....
Pros of Japanese would be the easy pronunciation like you said.
Pros of Korean would be that the writing system is easier to learn I guess, though the japanese writing system is really cool once you've learned it too (can express nuance or individuality when choosing what kanji or kana to use for a word, etc.)
I would just go with whichever you will have more motivation to learn, like if you had more Korean shows you like to watch and more Korean friends to talk to etc then for go that. There's a huge amount of crossover in vocab and grammar so learning one will massively help you learning the other anyway! :smile:

I know Sheffield uni offers a straight Korean BA and a Korean with Japanese BA you could look into by the way!
Reply 17
Original post by EXTREMEninja
I only learned a little Korean (Martial arts club thing) so I cannot really say whether it is difficult or not, but I prefer Japanese. Hiragana and Katakana I assume? I would be impressed if you had mastered Kanji XD

yes, those two, kanji is still too much for me XD i know a few but not much. and thank you! you learnt korean in a martial arts class? o:

Original post by bubadeeboop
Depends, do you see yourself moving to or spending long periods in either country? Otherwise trying to learn the language will be pretty pointless. I know people who have studied Japanese at degree level, then left feeling completely stranded once in country because they have found their language skills lacking.

So if you one day plan to reside or work in one of these countries there is no point learning the language of the other, no matter how much you practice in your home country, your skills will always be rough unless you polish them in either the country of the language, or a community of that languages speakers.

yes, all the universities offer a year abroad, and i do plan to eventually work and settle in one of those countries. not sure which one: japan i like for cultural aspects, but korea has kpop... orz i'm shallow haha.

thanks for your input!

Original post by iAmanze
Japanese is the best option, + much more sought after in an employers eyes than korean. I'm also learning Japanese. They are foreigner friendly and at worst a little curious, nothing like racism you may/will encounter in Korea.

Checkout Youtube to see how people find Japan being foreigners
Channels for Japanese vloggers: Kanadajin, Rhymingaijin are good.

do you know how i can find out which language is most sought after? i see people post "x is sought after" but i don't know where this information comes from. thanks!

Original post by Ash S
I'm fluent in Japanese and know some Korean too.....
Pros of Japanese would be the easy pronunciation like you said.
Pros of Korean would be that the writing system is easier to learn I guess, though the japanese writing system is really cool once you've learned it too (can express nuance or individuality when choosing what kanji or kana to use for a word, etc.)
I would just go with whichever you will have more motivation to learn, like if you had more Korean shows you like to watch and more Korean friends to talk to etc then for go that. There's a huge amount of crossover in vocab and grammar so learning one will massively help you learning the other anyway! :smile:

I know Sheffield uni offers a straight Korean BA and a Korean with Japanese BA you could look into by the way!

ah i was hoping for something like that! i know their grammar is quite similar so i thought, if i don't study one in uni, perhaps i can try learning it by self-study? we'll see. either way thank you for the help! and thanks for letting me know about sheffield, i'll definitely look into that! o:
Original post by khitman
yes, those two, kanji is still too much for me XD i know a few but not much. and thank you! you learnt korean in a martial arts class? o:

yes, all the universities offer a year abroad, and i do plan to eventually work and settle in one of those countries. not sure which one: japan i like for cultural aspects, but korea has kpop... orz i'm shallow haha.

thanks for your input!

do you know how i can find out which language is most sought after? i see people post "x is sought after" but i don't know where this information comes from. thanks!

ah i was hoping for something like that! i know their grammar is quite similar so i thought, if i don't study one in uni, perhaps i can try learning it by self-study? we'll see. either way thank you for the help! and thanks for letting me know about sheffield, i'll definitely look into that! o:

Kanji are difficult to remember XD I have learned a few as well, it is rewarding once you get to grips with them. You are welcome. Yes, it was Taekwondo, which is a Korean martial art, so the instructor thought it would be good for us to learn a little Korean.
Do both, you can at SOAS and Sheffield without an A level in either.

Quick Reply

Latest