The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Accommodation Swap Thread 2014

Manchester does allow accommodation swaps, if you can find someone who is willing to swap with via the magic of social media.

However, they must be
a) the same gender as you
b) the same type of student as you (undergraduate or postgraduate)

To arrange the swap you must
- pay the pre-payment, to secure your bedroom
- find someone suitable to swap with
- both independently email [email protected] to arrange the swap.

This thread is intended as somewhere for you to arrange swaps - but please remember not to post personal details (including email addresses and precise room numbers) on the public forums - please use the PM system to exchange these details.

Scroll to see replies

if anyone is wanting catered accommodation, i received an offer for Owens park tower in fallowfield. I'm happy to consider swapping accommodation as i want accommodation which is self catering
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
I've got a room in Ashburne Hall, Lees Wing under a 40 weeks lease and I'm a female undergraduate. Scheduled to move in this September 2014.

Any female undergraduate with the same lease period living in Burkhadt Hall or Hulme Hall willing to swap with me? Fallowfield's not my thing but it might be for you, let me know x
Original post by tillytots
Give it a go, I was in the same position three years ago and LOVED it. If you reject it you'lll have to go private, which is ten times worse.
im in the same situation I wanted to stay in Richmond but have been placed into sheavyn house and was looking for someone to swap with x
Original post by tillytots
I can't help you with that... I don't even know if it's allowed but maybe look on some facebook groups? Why richmond though? There is no difference between the two.

i rang up the accomodation office and they said they would allow a swap and because i found the kitchens were bigger and nicer and better bedrooms.
Reply 5
i applied in may for:

Richmond Park
Sheavyn House
Victoria Halls

i was looking for ensuite and self catered

i just got an offer a few minutes ago for owens park and i REALLY DONT WANT IT
its catered and not even ensuite

what do i do??

really annoyed and upset at the moment.
Some people have said that the accommodation office told them that if they found another willing person, they could swap. You'd probably need to contact them yourself to make sure though.

You also have the option of requesting a transfer at the beginning of October. Details can be found here: http://www.accommodation.manchester.ac.uk/current-students/transfersandwithdrawal/
Reply 7
is there no way they would offer me something else??

i really really dont want catered and a shared bathroom :| :frown:
Original post by kimz17

If they could, they probably already would have. Nobody on here can tell you exactly what they might and might not do, that's why it's best to contact them directly. To the best of my knowledge, your only options are what I said above.

EDIT: I've just seen mabinogion say in another thread that she's managed to switch from Owens Park to Oak House, maybe she'll be able to tell you how she did it.

Original post by mabinogion
X
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kimz17

Hey I rang up and asked if there was anyway they could change it and they said no but gave me a link to www.browzer.co.uk/man/room-swap_6066#es
however to use this website you have to accept your offer and then try to swap it and wasnt sure it I would just go into private accommodation. My parents rang the accommodation office from on holiday and they were able to get them to search for a different room that wasnt catered but was still in the fallowfield campus and they rang back 20 minutes later with an offer :smile:
I'm sorry if thats not much help but I think I was pretty lucky. It doesn't hurt to try so just try keep ringing them :smile: hope everything works out for you
Ive been offered Owen's park non-ensuite, catered accommodation - opposite of what i applied for. SOMEONE PLEASE SWAP
Anyone wants a room in Owen Park? With basin and catered!
I d really like any room in Oak House!

i paid already the deposit and switch in is really easy, please pm.

I hears OP is amazing and I'm sure I'll have a lot if fun, but I'm 21 and I'd like something more intimate and calm!

Reply 12
Does anyone want a room in Owens Park?
The room is with basin and catered.

I've heard that Owens Park has a great atmosphere and would be fun but I wanted self-catered.
Hi, is anyone willing to swap a self-catered room in fallowfield, for catered with basin room (owens park), i've already bought stuff for a self-catered room, so would be really grateful if anyone was willing to swap with me. Please message me if you are willing to swap, deposit paid so should be simple enough.
Chloe :smile:
Reply 14
ROOM SWAP
Does anyone want a room in
Owens Park?
The room is with basin and catered.

I've heard that Owens Park has a great atmosphere and would be fun but I wanted self-catered.
Does anyone want to swap rooms with me? Ive been given Owen's Park single basin room, catered but I really wanted an uncatered ensuite room. Help!
Looking to swap from Owens Park, Fallowfield... Whitworth park hopefully.. I just can't have catered as my student finance is strict
Reply 17
looking to swap from ::h:ulme Hall, Victoria Park, Standard Room with Basin:: TO any room that is ensuite, preferably St Gabriels

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
If you haven't already I would recommend trying facebook, a lot of people are desperate for a room in fallowfield on there.
There are LOADS of people (including me) who have the same room as you and none of them want it. The facilities sound awful but it looks like we're stuck with it unless we go private. You can swap if you find someone but they have to be the same gender. There is an appeals process but I doubt that would be successful and the only other option is to try and transfer in October.

Latest

Trending

Trending