The Student Room Group

Honestly- A2 maths or psychology for medical school?

I got As in both at AS, but I want to do psychology at A2 because its easier than maths and I need to focus on chemistry.

However I have noticed a lot of medical applicants carry on with maths. I know medical schools don't state it's a requirement, but will I be put at a disadvantage if I don't do maths (and do psychology instead- which some see as a semi-soft subject)?

Scroll to see replies

I've just finished first year and i have honestly used more psychology than i have used maths. u will not be placed at a disadvantage for doing psychology and ultimately do what you will enjoy the most
Original post by new.member
I got As in both at AS, but I want to do psychology at A2 because its easier than maths and I need to focus on chemistry.

However I have noticed a lot of medical applicants carry on with maths. I know medical schools don't state it's a requirement, but will I be put at a disadvantage if I don't do maths (and do psychology instead- which some see as a semi-soft subject)?

You'll not be put at any disadvantage if you choose psychology rather than maths. :no:

Choose Maths. It will help you to show off your academic capability. Psychology can't really be compared to Maths in terms of academia.

Your application will be alot stronger.

If I were you I would take psychology. If you find it easier than maths then you'll probably do better at A2, and it'll leave you more room to focus on chemistry. It is also a really interesting subject, and is definitely relevant to the psychiatry side of medicine, whereas you wouldn't really be using the maths knowledge you learn during A-level.

If you enjoy psychology more, then go for it - I shouldn't think you'd be disadvantaged, as long as you have chemistry and achieve the required grades at A2!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 5
I dropped Maths at AS and continued with Psychology to A2 - I didn't have any problems with my application. Choose the subject you enjoy more and are more likely to get an A in.
I don't think it would make a difference either way.
If you find psychology easier then take it for sure! Especially if you think it will give you a higher chance of meeting your grade requirements, you don't want to leave anything to chance.

You will be at no disadvantage whatsoever (except if you wanted to apply to cambridge who require 3 sciences/maths). Plus, it is more important to get AAA, especially that A in chemistry which is a really hard A-level.

From the POV of a med student, I have found psych hugely useful, there is a significant psych component in undergrad medicine. I haven't used any A-level maths so far, and I doubt I will have to :smile:
Reply 9
Thank you for the replies everyone :smile: they're really helpful, and i agree that it would it better for me to do my 3rd A2 in a subject i'm more comfortable with :smile:
Original post by Incubator
Choose Maths. It will help you to show off your academic capability. Psychology can't really be compared to Maths in terms of academia.

Your application will be alot stronger.

Speaking as someone who did A2 maths... This is awful advice for a medicine applicant.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MrSupernova
Speaking as someone who did A2 maths... This is awful advice for a medicine applicant.

Oh shutup. Don't think you're the only one who did A2 maths...
Reply 12
I had the exact same dilemma last year! I picked maths purely because I enjoyed it more than psychology- looking back, my life would have been a lot easier as psychology is a much easier A-level IMO but either way i'm glad I chose maths :smile: Don't worry, you wont be at any sort of disadvantage (apart from if you're thinking Cambridge maybe) - I met loads of people at my interviews who had psych as their third A-level and they got offers :biggrin:
Original post by Incubator
Oh shutup. Don't think you're the only one who did A2 maths...

Never said I was... Given that you're the one giving **** advice out, perhaps it'd be better if you were the one to shut up? :smile:
I would definitely recommend sticking with maths, it has crossovers with biology (statistical side) and chemistry (use of formulae) so would be favoured over psychology, though of course you should take into account which one you'll prefer as you'll be more likely to get a good grade in it. Good luck with whatever you choose :smile:

Hi! You know the jump from gcse to a level? Well the same thing happens between AS and A2 psychology!

I'm not joking, I found AS psych to be pretty much common sense and expected the same at A2 but everything completely changes. It's not more difficult, but it's much more workload! I found myself having to first of all write up over 30 essays at A* level and then having to memorise every one of those essays just for ONE of the exams!!! It was ridiculous, I has essay plans coming out my ears and I was going crazy!

If you are good at maths (which you clearly are because you got an A) then stay with maths. If you are more of an essay person then I suppose go for psychology, but just remember I warned you and think of me next June!!!

It really depends on the kinda person you are, more mathsy or englishy?
Go for the one you think you will most likely get better grades in - your grades will be a major factor in determining the success of your application. They confer no advantage to your application whatsoever in themselves. You will also find that not doing maths or psychology will not disadvantage you when you are a med student. In any case, worry about getting into med school first!
Reply 17
Thanks for the replies :smile:

Original post by Helloyellowmello
Hi! You know the jump from gcse to a level? Well the same thing happens between AS and A2 psychology!

I'm not joking, I found AS psych to be pretty much common sense and expected the same at A2 but everything completely changes. It's not more difficult, but it's much more workload! I found myself having to first of all write up over 30 essays at A* level and then having to memorise every one of those essays just for ONE of the exams!!! It was ridiculous, I has essay plans coming out my ears and I was going crazy!

If you are good at maths (which you clearly are because you got an A) then stay with maths. If you are more of an essay person then I suppose go for psychology, but just remember I warned you and think of me next June!!!

It really depends on the kinda person you are, more mathsy or englishy?

I'm not bad at memorising so i don't mind :smile: i don't know- i just find it more interesting so i think i'll be more motivated to revise for it.
With maths, i really enjoyed it at AS but it's hard at A2 and like i said i need to do a subject i'm most likely to get an A in. I just don't want to take the risk, and like i said i find chemistry hard so i will have to devote time to that- i don't want to have to do two hard subjects!

I know A level psychology isn't easy, but like i said maths gets a lot harder and i don't think i could do that well in it.
Thanks for the replies :smile:

I'm not bad at memorising so i don't mind :smile: i don't know- i just find it more interesting so i think i'll be more motivated to revise for it.
With maths, i really enjoyed it at AS but it's hard at A2 and like i said i need to do a subject i'm most likely to get an A in. I just don't want to take the risk, and like i said i find chemistry hard so i will have to devote time to that- i don't want to have to do two hard subjects!

I know A level psychology isn't easy, but like i said maths gets a lot harder and i don't think i could do that well in it.

Your answer heavily implies you've made up your mind to do psychology, or at least deep down that's what you really want to do, so good luck with that :smile:
Since you find it interesting you'll work hard, and if you work hard you'll do well :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Helloyellowmello
Your answer heavily implies you've made up your mind to do psychology, or at least deep down that's what you really want to do, so good luck with that :smile:
Since you find it interesting you'll work hard, and if you work hard you'll do well :smile:

Yes i've already started my A2s and have decided to stick with psych. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending