The Student Room Group

Are my AS levels good enough for top universities?

I got
English Language - A (90+%)
English literature - A
History - B (going to resit a paper to get an A)
Spanish - D (dropping it)

So I got AABD, hopefully next year I'll get it up to A*AA at A2 but I'll still have my D at AS Spanish, will it bring me down? Will taking AS government & politics during my A2 year (so I have a better AS grade to replace Spanish) help? Or would it not make a difference? I think I could get at least a B, probably an A in government & politics. Also, will doing an EPQ help to make up for my bad Spanish grade? I'm stressing about it as you can probably tell, as I want to get offers from universities like Durham :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OhhNo
I got
English Language - A (90+%)
English literature - A
History - B (going to resit a paper to get an A)
Spanish - D (dropping it)

So I got AABD, hopefully next year I'll get it up to A*AA at A2 but I'll still have my D at AS Spanish, will it bring me down? Will taking AS government & politics during my A2 year (so I have a better AS grade to replace Spanish) help? Or would it not make a difference? I think I could get at least a B, probably an A in government & politics. Also, will doing an EPQ help to make up for my bad Spanish grade? I'm stressing about it as you can probably tell, as I want to get offers from universities like Durham :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What subject are you applying for? I'm going to assume it's English/ History/ Linguistics related, so probably has AAA-ish entry requirements at the 'top' universities.

With AAB this year and a good personal statement, I can't see why you wouldn't have offers for universities with AAA entry requirements. If you can get A*AA predicted grades, then any universities with those requirements should also be open to you - unless they specify a certain grade in the fourth AS (I don't believe Durham does). Your AS grade D will only be an issue if a) Spanish is directly related to the course you're interested in, or b) if the university is choosing between two otherwise identical candidates and the other has a C or above.

An EPQ will provide something to talk about in your personal statement, but otherwise top universities aren't that fussed about them.

Quick Reply

Latest