The Student Room Group

Student Finance screwing me out of my University education? What to do?

Hello TSR,

I just finished college with A*A*A* at A-Levels, I'm an EU citizen with indefinite leave to remain in UK. I hold an unconditional offer for Engineering at a decent uni. While in College I changed my name by deed poll because it is quite a difficult foreign name and I never planned to leave UK until I got my citizenship, however by my home countries law you cannot change your name on the passport unless you change your sex or have a very good reason i.e. it was spelled wrong and they have a very big disdain for Anglicized names so I was forced to take out a new passport with my old name.

I applied for a student loan and a maintenance grant as I am a home student back in March/April time and the problems started rolling from there. First they asked me to send in proof like Passport, etc as they would regularly do but then I was asked to send in all of my medical information, bank statements, etc to their counter-fraud department o.O since my passport has a different name than that of my driving license or anything else which is understandable worry on their part.

So I did that, and it took them two months to get back to me that they need the evidence again, I send it again, they send it back, a month ago they ask my passport again, this time for the EU department, I send it to them, then they request my parents tax letters etc, which I send in, a month now passes I still haven't received any old evidence only a letter saying it will be delivered to me in 6 to 8 weeks, and then my parents get a letter saying everything is ok and the information will be processed within 2 to 3 months!! So I call to their call centre and as usual they are useless and their support staff are absolutely clueless on what to do.

My course starts in less than 2 weeks and my application still isn't confirmed, and I know they will probably request me to send in my parents p60's since they haven't asked yet. Now they basically screwed out of my University education for a year. They promised that I get the money on time but I obviously won't now with this **** happening. I am extremely angry and sad at the same time. I don't know what to do. The university sent me an invoice for the course to pay to them by 30 September since my finance application is still 'pending'. :s-smilie: I already paid for the first installment of my accommodation with my own money which I won't be getting back last month.

Do I have grounds for a lawsuit or is there a small possibility they will pull their heads out of their asses and be able to get me my finance by the time promised since it was completed way before the deadline? I'm really clueless and lost.

Help!

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
No chance whatsoever of a "lawsuit"
Have you tried the official formal complaint procedure to be found in the link?

http://www.slc.co.uk/media/426356/ppc008_june_2012_online.pdf
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending