The Student Room Group

3 or 4 AS levels? help!

I just received my GCSE results, which were 2A*, 6A and 2B's. I am extremely pleased with them, but now I am worrying about whether 4 A-levels would be too much work - as every time I tell any one I am doing 4 they all remind me of the huge workload.

If I were to do 4 I would do: Biology, psychology, geography and history.

However if I were to do 3 I would drop history.

Please may someone help me make up my mind? I am aware there are benefits of taking 4 as well as negatives. However I am worried the workload will mean I am not able to achieve my best grades - which may have greater impacts concerning university places etc.

I do have the option to take all 4 then decide whether to drop history up to October. Please help! If anyone has experience of the subjects that would also be great :smile:
So the standard for AS levels is generally to do 4, and the workload is pretty fine. I know people who have done 3, but nearly all of them had lower GCSEs than you, and I know several people who have done more than 4 and been fine. Technically the fewer you do the better your grades should be, but the workload for 4 is really not bad. At my school, doing 4 leaves you more than 6 hours a fortnight of free periods, which is plenty.
Reply 2
Fairly certain the norm is to do 4 AS levels Given that your GCSEs are above the norm I can't see why the workload would be too much for you; just make sure you only do 3 A Levels when the time comes.
Reply 3
Everyone I know did 4 at AS and the majority are all dropping one for A2. Some Unis require you to have three A2 results and a pass at AS so bear this in mind... I did three of the same as you (biology, geography and history with german instead of psychology) and I coped! It is hard work and a step up from GCSE'S but just stay on top of your work and you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Definitely do 4AS. This is the normal amount, especially with GCSE grades like yours. Some unis do actually ask for 3 A levels with an additional pass in another AS level, so without 4 at AS you'll be at a disadvantage. You'll then drop down to three subjects at A2.
Do 4.

This gives you the option of dropping your least favourite after a year, and is a far safer plan than just 3 - and Universities will think its odd that you havn't done 4.

Quick Reply

Latest