The Student Room Group

What are the things you hate the MOST at the gym

For me it's the dumbbell party guy that takes all the dumbbells and say, "I'll be using it", but he haven't picked up the 20 since he does the 70...

So what do you hate the MOST at the gym?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
For me it's the dumbbell party guy that takes all the dumbbells and say, "I'll be using it", but he haven't picked up the 20 since he does the 70...

So what do you hate the MOST at the gym?

Broscience
Reply 2
Smokers using cardio equipment next to me. Earlier I was doing some HIIT on the bike, planned on 20 minutes, 2 minutes in I had to get off because this 60aday guy got on the bike next to me I couldn't breathe.
The only thing that really annoys me if is someone is somehow preventing me doing my workout. For instance by hogging equipment.

Now, if that person is, say, using lots of weight for a big deadlift, that is entirely forgiveable. If someone however is to pick random examples using a bench press for bench dips or as a stool to sit on in between sets of starjumps then I have less sympathy. Likewise people who use the squat rack for their curls, people who hog all the dumbbells and hardly seem to use any, and people who load up all the weight they possibly can on plate-loaded machines, all in the positions which give them the most leverage. They might as well use half the weight less dickishly placed but that wouldn't look as hardcore. They use **** all range of motion as well.

Also people who just take weights from me without asking me if I'm using them. Yes I damn well was! Sneaky bastards do it while I'm distracted.
When people don't re-rack dumbbells in order, or just leave them on the floor.

IT'S NOT DIFFICULT!
Reply 5
those guys with huge upper bodies and tiny legs
Reply 6
Original post by nivek11
those guys with huge upper bodies and tiny legs

Why do you hate that?

I find it hilarious.
People who sit/stand on the machine to have a chat and aren't using them.
People who don't clean their sweat after using any type of machine! No one wants sweaty equipment!
Reply 9
Pretty much everything. The fact that every single gym I've been too has a pathetic tiny area for weights. The fact that every gym I've been to seems to be quite busy during most hours throughout the day. Not enough squat racks, not enough barbells, not enough space...I could go on. Gyms suck.

Don't get me started on the annoying radio stations like kiss and heart.
I hate feeling self-conscious.

I hate how my face sweats SO much it drips everywhere, even 1 second after I wipe it.

I hate how people congregate around the dumbbells to work out, so if I want to get one I feel like I'm always in the way/interrupting someone's set.

I hate how there's not enough freeweights equipment.

I hate how the freeweights area is booked for like 90% of the time.

I hate being a noob.

I hate not knowing what I'm doing.

I hate how by the end of my workouts I'm an inch away from puking.

I hate how my headphones are always falling out my ears.

I hate how my headphone cable is always in the way when doing OH Press/Front Squat.

But most of these are on me :wink:
Reply 11
People who grunt when shoulder pressing 15lb dumbbells
Reply 12
no offense to anyone

but there are these sikh guys that just stink of curry! pisses me off
and some Europeans that smell like peanuts :/
Excessive grunting
Original post by Stinkum
Pretty much everything. The fact that every single gym I've been too has a pathetic tiny area for weights. The fact that every gym I've been to seems to be quite busy during most hours throughout the day. Not enough squat racks, not enough barbells, not enough space...I could go on. Gyms suck.

Don't get me started on the annoying radio stations like kiss and heart.

You could always join a proper gym..?
Reply 15
Fat people who come with their fatty friends and stand around doing bugger all, gossiping loudly and chit about other gym members while hogging the machines on the lowest possible setting.
Reply 16
Easy, when people drop the weights on the floor.
Small bloody plates, dead-lifting from weak ass step up platforms looks retarded.

Broken machines.
Original post by Miscer-22
Small bloody plates, dead-lifting from weak ass step up platforms looks retarded.

Broken machines.

who can't deadlift 1 plate?
Original post by illusionz
who can't deadlift 1 plate?

He probably means undersized 20's.

I hate how heavy weights feel.

Quick Reply

Latest