The Student Room Group

Is it possible to maintain a part-time and hobbies while taking A-levels?

--
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by blondelocks
I currently work 16 hours per week and train 3/4 times per week. Is this going to be sustainable while taking my A-levels?

I figure I'll have to reduce the time spent on both and may have to totally stop one of the two?

FYI: For what it's worth I am not one of these natural talent types who can breeze through A-levels like I suspect a few posters on TSR can!

Firstly: I agree there are some people on TSR who can currently just breeze through their exams, but the majority can't... and I suspect many people downplay how difficult they find exams because it's not 'cool' on here :laugh:.

For at least the first part of the year, you should be able to continue to work and train, however you have to keep your A levels as your priority. As long as you have a couple of hours every day for homework etc, you should be fine.

One it gets to around March time you should start 'proper' revision for your AS exams, and at this point I would advise cutting down on work and training until after exams (probably mid-June). Some people can continue to work 20 hours a week, but most prefer to use that time revising in order to get decent grades!

Try to keep at least some hobbies though - everyone needs some time off from school work, and if you never do anything you enjoy then you'll burn out.
Original post by LeFailFish
Firstly: I agree there are some people on TSR who can currently just breeze through their exams, but the majority can't... and I suspect many people downplay how difficult they find exams because it's not 'cool' on here :laugh:.

For at least the first part of the year, you should be able to continue to work and train, however you have to keep your A levels as your priority. As long as you have a couple of hours every day for homework etc, you should be fine.

One it gets to around March time you should start 'proper' revision for your AS exams, and at this point I would advise cutting down on work and training until after exams (probably mid-June). Some people can continue to work 20 hours a week, but most prefer to use that time revising in order to get decent grades!

Try to keep at least some hobbies though - everyone needs some time off from school work, and if you never do anything you enjoy then you'll burn out.

Thanks for the advice!

Will we have covered the majority of the course material by March?
Thanks for the advice!

Will we have covered the majority of the course material by March?

Certainly at my Sixth Form, the teachers aimed to finish the course by March. I believe at most colleges it will be the same, to provide maximum time for revision.
I currently work 16 hours per week and train 3/4 times per week. Is this going to be sustainable while taking my A-levels?

I figure I'll have to reduce the time spent on both and may have to totally stop one of the two?

FYI: For what it's worth I am not one of these natural talent types who can breeze through A-levels like I suspect a few posters on TSR can!

What do you work as? I need a job?
Original post by games211
What do you work as? I need a job?

I just work in a shop mate. It sucks.
I just work in a shop mate. It sucks.

what shop?
I took Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths at A level a long side a 16 hour a week job and Ballet and Piano classes (plus practice for both in my spare time). I still found time to work for my A levels and ended up with pretty decent grades.

I'd suggest sticking with your job and activities but taking a couple of weeks off around exam time to make sure you can really apply yourself.

It all depends on how hard you're willing to work.

Something I found really helpful was going into school an hour early every morning and working in the common room, as well as working in all my frees and through half of lunch, that way I only had to do a couple of hours revision in the evenings.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by games211

what shop?

A hardware store. Are you also taking A-levels? Just apply to all the local Tesco/Sainsbury/Waitrose/Asda stores mate.

Quick Reply

Latest