The Student Room Group

University courses

Hello, I'm currently looking at university courses and I am struggling to choose between classics and ancient history:/ I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding which course would be best :-)
Original post by Megan__
Hello, I'm currently looking at university courses and I am struggling to choose between classics and ancient history:/ I was wondering if anyone had any advice regarding which course would be best :-)

Classics often involves study of Latin and or Greek whilst Ancient History would normally just involve the history side of things. So whether or not you want to study the languages should play a big part in your decision.
Original post by Megan__

It depends on where your interests lie. Many Classics courses want previous experience in Latin or Ancient Greek. Quite a few universities also offer Classical Studies, which is a bit more literature and art based than Ancient History.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Two useful articles to read ......
History at Uni : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/History_Degree
Classics at Uni : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Classics_Degree
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
Classics often involves study of Latin and or Greek whilst Ancient History would normally just involve the history side of things. So whether or not you want to study the languages should play a big part in your decision.

Thanks for the advice. Yes I think I may be better with Ancient History as academically I'm quite strong at history. Where as I have no prior experience with learning a new language and I think it would be quite a challenge!
Reply 5
Original post by Coffeetime
It depends on where your interests lie. Many Classics courses want previous experience in Latin or Ancient Greek. Quite a few universities also offer Classical Studies, which is a bit more literature and art based than Ancient History.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice, I'm much stronger at history than literature so I think ancient history is the best option! I might even consider just History at degree level but entry requirements are very high and competitive:/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending