The Student Room Group

Questions regarding university applications

Hello!

Over the summer I have been looking at universities and courses and I have a few questions.

1) How does the UCAS points scheme work exactly? In my AS levels, I got BCD so are the points I have kept and combined with A2 or is it the points from my overall grade that count?
2) If I dropped one A-level and took up the EPQ instead, would I still have the points from AS?
3) If I did this, could I still get on to a course that asks for 280 points?
4) I also took the level 2 diploma in Society, Health and Development at GCSE, is this one of the 14 - 19 diplomas that are often mentioned on UCAS? Would this give me extra points as well? I got a B overall.
5) Can I apply for slightly different courses? I am interested in scriptwriting for television and film and also media production (film and television) - is it just a case of altering my personal statement slightly?

It's a bit confusing for me, so thank you in advance.
Rebecca :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Becka24601
Hello!

Over the summer I have been looking at universities and courses and I have a few questions.

1) How does the UCAS points scheme work exactly? In my AS levels, I got BCD so are the points I have kept and combined with A2 or is it the points from my overall grade that count?
2) If I dropped one A-level and took up the EPQ instead, would I still have the points from AS?
3) If I did this, could I still get on to a course that asks for 280 points?
4) I also took the level 2 diploma in Society, Health and Development at GCSE, is this one of the 14 - 19 diplomas that are often mentioned on UCAS? Would this give me extra points as well? I got a B overall.
5) Can I apply for slightly different courses? I am interested in scriptwriting for television and film and also media production (film and television) - is it just a case of altering my personal statement slightly?

It's a bit confusing for me, so thank you in advance.
Rebecca :smile:

Hi, I'll try and answer some of your questions

1) according to UCAS, tariff points are generally only counted for the highest level of achievement in a subject. This means that you can’t usually count AS levels if you have the full A level in the same subject

2 and 3) acording to Edexcel the Edexcel Extended Project qualification carries up to 70 UCAS points, depending on what grade you achieve. This can be used towards a points offer from a university (for example, 350 points).

The Edexcel Extended Project cannot be used against a grade offer (such as AAA), but some universities may offer an alternative for candidates studying the Edexcel Extended Project (such as ABB instead of AAB, provided that you get an A in your Edexcel Extended Project qualification)

4) Level 2 qualifications don't count towards UCAS points, only level 3 qualifications do.

5) When applying to universities you get five choices, each choice can be any course at any university, but you can only submit one personal statement, so it is best to apply for similar courses as the admissions tutors from all of your choices will be reading the same statement.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending