The Student Room Group

Cambridge interview preparation- resources/advice?

I'll be applying for natural sciences (physical) so will probably get a physics interview (along with a maths/chemistry one).

Does anyone know of any good resources or have tips in general to prepare for the interview?

Also, which should I start with? I'm thinking of self teaching the maths modules to lighten the workload for the start of the A2 year, but don't know if that's the best thing I could do now to prepare. I have about 2 weeks before college starts.

So far, I've come up with:
-Doing PAT tests
-Physics Olympiad questions
-Past interview questions

Any more suggestions would be appreciated (provided they're given before December of course...)
(edited 9 years ago)
*subbed*
Also, does anyone know any good site for Fermi problems (which are on par with Oxbridge difficulty)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
This is quite a good website for physics/maths questions: http://i-want-to-study-engineering.org

Most of all I would recommend brushing up on your maths ie C1-C4 if you've finished A-level maths and if not then try do as much as you can. Graph drawing practice also helps a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Heard that they like to ask you to sketch graphs and ask mechanics/calculus questions -any good resources for this which are interview style?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For Fermi Problems such as, "How has the mass of the human population changed over the past year", I guess you would have to assume every bit of data, i.e. birth and death rates, rate of growth for < 18 year olds? Or for an Cambridge interview, I guess it is the way you go about answering the question, not really getting the figures, at least for Fermi Problems.
Original post by Protoxylic
For Fermi Problems such as, "How has the mass of the human population changed over the past year", I guess you would have to assume every bit of data, i.e. birth and death rates, rate of growth for < 18 year olds? Or for an Cambridge interview, I guess it is the way you go about answering the question, not really getting the figures, at least for Fermi Problems.

Ah, okay, that helps it to be slightly easier if I need to concentrate less on numbers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any good resources for improving graph sketching skills? Probably my biggest weakness (for difficult functions)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sub
How different are interviews to the admissions tests in terms of difficulty (for physics/maths)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest