The Student Room Group

Coping with mental illness in a new 6th form

I am terrified for starting my new 6th form next week. I have depression and suffer from self harm and other issues and I am just so anxious. I don't know how I will handle being around all those new people, judging me, looking at me. I'm just really scared. What could make this easier for me? Is anyone else having this issue?
Original post by Anonymous
I am terrified for starting my new 6th form next week. I have depression and suffer from self harm and other issues and I am just so anxious. I don't know how I will handle being around all those new people, judging me, looking at me. I'm just really scared. What could make this easier for me? Is anyone else having this issue?

I have the exact same problem too. However, that being said, I did email the sixth form I'm going to and they were really supportive, saying that they'll be there if I ever need a chat and that I could go in during the holidays to get familiar with the building and that kind of thing. Perhaps you could give your new school a ring and see what system they could set up for you? :redface:
Original post by Anonymous

I don't think they'll judge you. See what pastoral care your college has to offer. There may even be a councillor onsite :smile:. Try your best to make some good friends but be wary about sharing your MH issues with others. It's often the case that teens aren't equipped to handle such pressure, even if that person is a friend.
I feel the same but I suffer with an eating disorder, anxiety and self harm. I'm staying at my school's sixth form but the year co-ordinator who helped me through it last year is moving to year 7 and I really don't like the sixth form co-ordinator.
I was exactly like you for a very long time- I always worried what people thought and I would worry about everything I said. I am much better now though :smile: I know its easier said than done, but honestly, if people dont like you for you, dont waste your time. Be yourself. Try not to worry. Also it depends what sort of help you are getting- I would definitely say having a counseller really helped me. She taught me relaxation exercises and was just someone to talk to. I also went on sedatives for my anxiety and antidepressants. Go and see your doctor, but if they are being useless (like mine were until it got really serious) push for it. Make sure they know its bad. Good luck, you will be fine. Focus on the future :smile:
Reply 5
Don't worry. You're essentially an adult now, and a human being. You'll be treated like a regular human.
Just speak to the counsellor and let it be known about your feelings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
please tell your head of sixth form!!
its really important that you do so because if your illness affects your grades then they can get you leniency in exams and coursework and unis can grant you leniency too.
plus they can help to keep you safe and happy whilst in school.
Reply 7
please tell your head of sixth form!!
its really important that you do so because if your illness affects your grades then they can get you leniency in exams and coursework and unis can grant you leniency too.
plus they can help to keep you safe and happy whilst in school.

Quick Reply

Latest