The Student Room Group

Students invent nail polish to protect women from sexual assault

'Undercover Colors' will enable a woman to "discreetly ensure her safety" by stirring her drink with her finger. If the polish changes colour, the person will know "that something is wrong", the company explained.
The firm says it is the "first fashion company empowering women to prevent sexual assault".

Source: http://www.itv.com/news/2014-08-26/students-invent-nail-polish-to-protect-women-from-sexual-assault/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Great initiative.

I've had a mate been spiked before and it was horrible experience for everyone involved. It was a male rather than female, admittedly, and he spent the majority of the night absolutely and utterly alien from himself and it was horrid to watch. This is a great idea to spread awareness and make headlines, which is half the battle really.

If the issue is put under the microscope then I'm all for it.
Good idea. I'm hoping/guessing it's clear so dude's would be able to use it too? At least on a subtle part of a nail so it's not obvious?
Reply 3
I'd love to see a 4th year Vet Science student stirring her drink with her finger.
Reply 4
Original post by flyyoufools
Good idea. I'm hoping/guessing it's clear so dude's would be able to use it too? At least on a subtle part of a nail so it's not obvious?

I doubt it. Having multiple colours would be an essential part of any intelligent revenue model.

You don't want to sell everyone clear - you want to be able to sell as many shades as possible.

Additionally, clear-going-dark is no use if you're wearing Black Pearl or something.
(edited 9 years ago)
Is there much evidence to suggest that drink spiking actually happens as much as people think? Other than with extra alcohol, that is.
I thought this thread was going to be full of people saying how misogynistic this is, because women should be able to drink whatever they like, and that men shouldn't be putting date rape drugs into their drinks in first place. It blames the victims of date rape by implying it's their fault for drinking it without being sure that it hadn't been spiked, rather than the rapist's fault for spiking it.

Where is everybody? :erm:

Edit: Oh, there you all are :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by shiggydiggy
Is there much evidence to suggest that drink spiking actually happens as much as people think? Other than with extra alcohol, that is.

It's weird - my mate was spiked and it was clearly a drug, rather than just more alcohol, but that's the only time I've encountered it first hand.
Original post by Mackay
It's weird - my mate was spiked and it was clearly a drug, rather than just more alcohol, but that's the only time I've encountered it first hand.

What happened?

I dunno. It seems like every girl has a 'drink spiked' story in which they describe a night where they 'only had a few shots' and 'blacked out' and had to be dragged home by their friends in a taxi.

I vaguely recall reading an article which claimed that drink spiking with anything other than alcohol was essentially a myth. I'm not sure how true this is, or if any real hard statistics exist.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
What happened?

He flipped out, started trying to fight everyone we are mates with and ended the night almost being run over on the main road whilst causing disruptions to passing traffic.

If it was a drug, it was clearly some sort of amphetamine. He's convinced it wasn't alcohol - because he's not an aggressive person and an even less aggressive drunk. I've seen him paralytic a few times and he hasn't got a nasty bone in his body.

It was an unsettling experience.
Brilliant idea. Hope there's a clear one too so men can use it.

The cynic inside me tells me the people who make these spikes will analyse the chemistry of this and make another type though.
Original post by KingStannis
Brilliant idea. Hope there's a clear one too so men can use it.

The cynic inside me tells me the people who make these spikes will analyse the chemistry of this and make another type though.

This.

The people who make the 'spikes' will try and change things up so they remain ahead of the game
Original post by James A
This.

The people who make the 'spikes' will try and change things up so they remain ahead of the game

I fear that this could become an arms race like computer virus's vs computer protection and this could be dangerous for people who put trust in the nail gloss.
This is actually a really ingenious idea.

There actually isn't....

I remember a report back in 2009 found something like only 2% of all people who reported to have been spiked actually had.

Most of the time it was a large amount of alcohol consumed over a short period of time that caused it, even if the total amount of alcohol over the entire night was not that much.

It's still illegal but it is largely used as a scapegoat. You even have people on TSR who honestly believe they have been spiked. My own ex gf sword blind she had been spiked even though we had shared drinks all night and she'd tried keeping pace with me drink for drink.

Also the drugs that are often blamed actually have very different effects to what people describe, while fitting perfectly with the symptoms of drinking to much alcohol too fast.

Another problem is the vast majority of those who claim to be spiked (who were left out of the study I mentioned earlier) never actually bother to get tested.
Original post by tazarooni89
I thought this thread was going to be full of people saying how misogynistic this is, because women should be able to drink whatever they like, and that men shouldn't be putting date rape drugs into their drinks in first place. It blames the victims of date rape by implying it's their fault for drinking it without being sure that it hadn't been spiked, rather than the rapist's fault for spiking it.

Heh, so true.
Reply 16
Original post by tazarooni89

They would if this was a Muslim thing.
Reply 17
Original post by Badshah
They would if this was a Muslim thing.

Yep.
Whats interesting is the main thing this will do is demonstrate that the majority of the time someone thinks their "drink was spiked", they actually just drank too much alcohol.

"I think my drink was spiked last night"

"Nah, nail polish is still the same colour, nice try love"
Reply 19
Disgusting. This is what people mean by rape culture. 1st teaching women how to vomit on queue in colleges, now nail polish to detect drugs, when well it end? Maybe we should start providing underwear with security codes. All of this is normalising rape.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending