The Student Room Group

Got problems with my AS levels

Hi guys, today I went to a college near me and enrolled there so I can resit my AS levels (i.e. repeat Year 12). I got DDUU for Chemistry, Physics, Design and Biology. However even though the college let me in, they said I can only 3 AS levels (Chemistry, Physics and Maths). I had no choice but to agree because I was leaving for an expedition tomorrow and coming back on Saturday so I can't go to any other colleges to see their enrolment options.

I don't know what to do because I got a Biology AS grade and I believe the universities I will apply to will see the U even if I get really good grades in Year 12 next year. Also, I still hope I can do medicine (there's less than a 5% chance of getting in but I don't want to lose that dream) even though I am considering nursing is the best option. Do unis allow just 3 AS grades continuing on to A2? I really need to know, thank you so much in advance! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
If you don't mind me asking, were the extenuating circumstances for your AS-levels?
Considering most people do four AS then 3 A-level yes. They will only look at you AS and GCSE grades if you miss out on the targeted A2 grades. I'm not carrying on AS photography (due to teachers) but am picking up AS accounting in it's place. It won't help my uni application, but it will help me personally ^^
Original post by PhoenixFire17
If you don't mind me asking, were the extenuating circumstances for your AS-levels?

Not really, I was under a lot of pressure though.
im going to be brutally honest for your own sake. like you I didnt do that well with my AS the first time, i got DEEE for biology, chemistry and physics. i repeated AS and still didnt get good results. i then went and did a btec. i was busy looking after my disabled mum and austic sister, i really didnt care for my alevels and i also dreamt about doing medicine to make my family proud. i wish i had taken the advice of doing just 3 AS subjects instead of 4. seriously you wont be losing anything by doing 1 less AS subject, medicine is competitive but you'll still get in provided your GCSEs are great
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
Considering most people do four AS then 3 A-level yes. They will only look at you AS and GCSE grades if you miss out on the targeted A2 grades. I'm not carrying on AS photography (due to teachers) but am picking up AS accounting in it's place. It won't help my uni application, but it will help me personally ^^

I see...that's what the teachers said but I only have issues about this because it's about medicine too (I am still hoping). Plus it's Biology that I got a U in which makes it look worse :/
Original post by DedicatedWizard
I see...that's what the teachers said but I only have issues about this because it's about medicine too (I am still hoping). Plus it's Biology that I got a U in which makes it look worse :/

Are there medicine courses that don't require A2 Biology? But seriously, uni's look at your three A2 grades, if you meet their criteria then great. It's only if you are looking at somewhere insanely competitive that the AS 'might' be a problem. But when you apply for uni through UCAS remember the 1 2 2 rule. 1 higher than your predicted grades, 2 at your predicted grades, and 2 lower than your predicted grades. At the end of the day if you can do well in your degree, it doesn't really matter WHERE you went.
Original post by IfOnlyItWereEasy
Are there medicine courses that don't require A2 Biology? But seriously, uni's look at your three A2 grades, if you meet their criteria then great. It's only if you are looking at somewhere insanely competitive that the AS 'might' be a problem. But when you apply for uni through UCAS remember the 1 2 2 rule. 1 higher than your predicted grades, 2 at your predicted grades, and 2 lower than your predicted grades. At the end of the day if you can do well in your degree, it doesn't really matter WHERE you went.

Thank you so much for the advice, I'm thinking I should ask my college to see if I can do AS Biology in my A2 year if I do really well :smile:
Original post by pinejuice
im going to be brutally honest for your own sake. like you I didnt do that well with my AS the first time, i got DEEE for biology, chemistry and physics. i repeated AS and still didnt get good results. i then went and did a btec. i was busy looking after my disabled mum and austic sister, i really didnt care for my alevels and i also dreamt about doing medicine to make my family proud. i wish i had taken the advice of doing just 3 AS subjects instead of 4. seriously you wont be losing anything by doing 1 less AS subject, medicine is competitive but you'll still get in provided your GCSEs are great

Thank you so much! I am sorry for your mum and sister :frown: Keep on dreaming about getting into medicine, you can still get there - never lose hope <3 Have u considered nursing as an alternative? It's not that different to medicine - it's just the academic differences that sets them apart. Also it's usually the nurse that bosses the doctor around :P
Thank you so much for the advice, I'm thinking I should ask my college to see if I can do AS Biology in my A2 year if I do really well :smile:

No problem ^^ And It's sure worth a shot if you do, and feel you could manage it. I am only doing accounting on the premise that if I find it difficult, I will drop it and focus on the 3 A-levels that are important. (I'm one of those annoying people who got upset with a B and a C, and have spent weeks scouring UCAS and TSR for every bit of info humanly possible!) and like I said, even if you don't get into a 'top' uni, as long as you get to do your course, and apply yourself to do well, you really think a surgery or whatever is going to go 'Oh you may have a first class degree...but alas you didn't get it from a russel group uni so we don't want you' I don't think so! (Now my mother would point out if you did Fine Art it would be different :tongue:)
Thank you so much! I am sorry for your mum and sister :frown: Keep on dreaming about getting into medicine, you can still get there - never lose hope <3 Have u considered nursing as an alternative? It's not that different to medicine - it's just the academic differences that sets them apart. Also it's usually the nurse that bosses the doctor around :P

aww thanks :smile: i slowly learnt medicine really wasnt for me anyways. i wanted to do it for all the wrong reasons- money and pride. i was following the crowd and its part of the reason why i hated a levels. in my first year of the btec i decided that chemical engineering was more interesting and im going to pursue that and provide for my family. i wasted so much time being immature and refusing to do 3 AS subjects! i had this lovely chemistry teacher sit me down and tell me to at least give up physics and do an easier subject like psychology but i refused. if you choose to redo your AS ask yourself do you REALLY want to do medicine? will you study 16+ hours a week? do you want to be a doctor for the money/pride or to actually help people? would you be a doctor if you were being paid mcdonald salary? i hope my experience helps you OP!!
Hi guys, today I went to a college near me and enrolled there so I can resit my AS levels (i.e. repeat Year 12). I got DDUU for Chemistry, Physics, Design and Biology. However even though the college let me in, they said I can only 3 AS levels (Chemistry, Physics and Maths). I had no choice but to agree because I was leaving for an expedition tomorrow and coming back on Saturday so I can't go to any other colleges to see their enrolment options.

I don't know what to do because I got a Biology AS grade and I believe the universities I will apply to will see the U even if I get really good grades in Year 12 next year. Also, I still hope I can do medicine (there's less than a 5% chance of getting in but I don't want to lose that dream) even though I am considering nursing is the best option. Do unis allow just 3 AS grades continuing on to A2? I really need to know, thank you so much in advance! :smile:

To be perfectly honest the competition for medicine is about as tough as it gets, and they aren't going to look favourably on resists or a 4th AS as a U grade. The resists can fine for other universities but your chances of getting into medicine are very slim with those circumstances as there are so many other candidates with top grades who haven't re-sat! For other subjects though 3 AS levels may be accepted.

If you look on the UCAS website it will tell you entry requirements each uni wants for their course, and it may be worth ringing admissions to discuss your situation aswell :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest