The Student Room Group

Is going to Budapest for Plastic Surgery 'fine'? (quite urgent)

So I would like a rhinoplasty and septoplasty and wondering if going to Budapest to have it done would be a 'good' idea as I absolutely do not have the spare cash to do it here in the UK with a top surgeon (£6000).

I've found a 'top' surgeon (How do I confirm this???) in Budapest who would do the septo-rhino for £2500. The client coordinator seems friendly, professional, responsive and genuine but I am still not sure as this is a serious surgery. I would like to wait but I am so desperate and have wanted this for a long time; I have messed up breathing and (to me) an unsightly and disproportionate nose.

Basically this is what I could find out about the main rhino surgeon (there are two - another ENT doc for septo).

http://www.meditourist-budapest.com/dr-vincente-rodrigo-board-certified-plastic-surgeon.html

http://www.whatclinic.com/cosmetic-plastic-surgery/hungary/budapest/meditourist-budapest-dr-rodrigo

I need to find out as much as possible from a less biased source about this surgeon before flying there.

Appreciate it :colondollar:
Honestly however much you want the plastic surgery, it is NOT worth the risk to go abroad. There are so many horror stories with surgeons messing up the surgery, not giving you the aftercare you need as you've already paid the money, and difficulties in ascertaining whether the surgeon is qualified or not.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it - save up until you can afford it on the NHS, have a consultation with your GP to see if there are any other treatments for your breathing, and really think about whether changing one part of your face will really change the way you feel about yourself, or will just allow you to focus on a different so-called 'flaw' once your nose has been done. This is how people become addicted to plastic surgery.

This page may help you: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Treatmentabroad/Pages/Cosmeticsurgeryabroad.aspx

Edit: the website says he offers the rhinoplasty 'from £2050' - have you enquired about the price, as often with all the extra aftercare packages, it ends up being a lot more expensive?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by PhoenixFire17
Honestly however much you want the plastic surgery, it is NOT worth the risk to go abroad. There are so many horror stories with surgeons messing up the surgery, not giving you the aftercare you need as you've already paid the money, and difficulties in ascertaining whether the surgeon is qualified or not.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it - save up until you can afford it on the NHS, have a consultation with your GP to see if there are any other treatments for your breathing, and really think about whether changing one part of your face will really change the way you feel about yourself, or will just allow you to focus on a different so-called 'flaw' once your nose has been done. This is how people become addicted to plastic surgery.

This page may help you: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Treatmentabroad/Pages/Cosmeticsurgeryabroad.aspx

Edit: the website says he offers the rhinoplasty 'from £2050' - have you enquired about the price, as often with all the extra aftercare packages, it ends up being a lot more expensive?

Thanks, that's useful and I may actually reconsider if I get answers to the following questions

HOW I can find out if the surgeon is as qualified as advertised?
I've been able to get before and after pictures of various procedures and the results are actually better than expected
I was told to stay a week after the rhino for a checkup with the surgeon and to stay in contact once I return to the Uk. Idk if that's reassuring enough.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks, that's useful and I may actually reconsider if I get answers to the following questions

HOW I can find out if the surgeon is as qualified as advertised?
I've been able to get before and after pictures of various procedures and the results are actually better than expected
I was told to stay a week after the rhino for a checkup with the surgeon and to stay in contact once I return to the Uk. Idk if that's reassuring enough.

He sounds like a decent surgeon, but it's difficult to be sure. The only way you can really check that the surgeon is genuine is by having two consultations with the surgeon before you have the rhinoplasty. If you never meet the surgeon, do NOT go through with the surgery, this is a very strong indicator that their policies are not fulfilled.

Do some research on Budapest qualifications to be a doctor, and compare them with the qualifications in the link in the original post.

Remember to take the before and after pictures with a grain of salt, as they are cherry picked to choose the best ones.
Reply 4
Original post by PhoenixFire17
He sounds like a decent surgeon, but it's difficult to be sure. The only way you can really check that the surgeon is genuine is by having two consultations with the surgeon before you have the rhinoplasty. If you never meet the surgeon, do NOT go through with the surgery, this is a very strong indicator that their policies are not fulfilled.

Do some research on Budapest qualifications to be a doctor, and compare them with the qualifications in the link in the original post.

Remember to take the before and after pictures with a grain of salt, as they are cherry picked to choose the best ones.

I was told to have a consultation a day before the surgery to discuss the likely outcomes of the surgery and whether I'd like to go ahead. I've been regularly reminded that it is a procedure I have to be sure about before undertaking and they want me to be 'comfortable' before making a decision.

I'll also do the qualification comparison as suggested

Thank you for your help! :hugs:
Original post by Anonymous
I was told to have a consultation a day before the surgery to discuss the likely outcomes of the surgery and whether I'd like to go ahead. I've been regularly reminded that it is a procedure I have to be sure about before undertaking and they want me to be 'comfortable' before making a decision.

I'll also do the qualification comparison as suggested

Thank you for your help! :hugs:

No problem! Good luck with everything!

Quick Reply

Latest