The Student Room Group

Dyeing a dress that's too silky white- need some textile advice

Today I received a replica this dress from china : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-New-Women-Vintage-Run-Way-Floral-Printed-Evening-Party-Maxi-Long-Boho-Dress-/361005480139?pt=UK_Women_s_Dresses&var=630342353849&hash=item540d9a78cb.

Unfortunately for me the dress is a white sickly virgin type of cheap silk. I'm thinking of dyeing it brown to see if it will make a difference.

What would be the best way to make this material look less of a cheap silky white? I had thought it would be more cotton and less silk, but I was wrong,
Reply 1
The equipment that is required for these following steps are:

1) Silk drapes.

2) 12-qt or larger stockpot (large enough to hold drapes).

3) 1 lb. salt.

4) Powdered acid dye.

5) Vinegar.

6) Large spoon.

7) Dish washing detergent.

Instructions:

Step 1:
Cut a swatch of fabric from an inside seam of your drapes, if possible. Wash and dry this swatch in a load of regular laundry with hot water. Inspect the swatch for shrinkage or other damage. If it is damaged, do not dye your dry-cleanable silk drapes with this method.

Step 2:
Wash your drapes in hot water with a squirt of dish washing detergents. Use a delicate cycle on your washing machine or wash by hand. Rinse well to remove any protective coating that may interfere with dyeing.

Step 3:
Mix 3/4 oz. powdered acid dye and 1 lb. regular table salt thoroughly in a large stockpot. Add hot water and stir until dye and salt are thoroughly dissolved. Using the sprayer attachment on the kitchen sink may help to mix the dye.

Step 4:
Add one drop of dish washing detergent and continue to add hot water until the pot is 3/4 full, place the pot on stove.

Step 5:
Add your silk drapes to the dye pot. Stir gently but thoroughly for at least five minutes to ensure that the dye is evenly distributed throughout the fabric.

Step 6:
Dilute 1 cup of vinegar in about 2 cups of water, and slowly add this mixture to the dye pot while stirring. Again, even distribution is vital.

Step 7:
Turn the stove burner under the dye pot to medium-high. Stir continuously until water is boiling. Continue to stir for five minutes before turning off the stove. Keep stirring until the dye pot has cooled to room temperature.

Step 8:
Carefully pour out the dye water from the pot, and fill the pot with cold water. Add dish washing detergent, and hand wash gently for two to three minutes.

Step 9:
And finally... pour the water out and repeat the process until water runs clear. You may need to wash and rinse the drapes 10 or 15 times if you are washing by hand.

Tips:

Using your washing machine for dyeing is easier and faster, but may damage your drapes. Use professional dyes for quality results. Procion dyes (the standard cotton dye for the tie-dye industry) also work on silk, using exactly the same recipe.

WARNING:

Use a dust mask when working with powdered dyes. Make sure your drapes are silk and not a synthetic material that feels like silk. If they are a blend, only the silk will take the dye, which can result in a pale or unevenly colored fabric. If your drapes have a pattern woven in different fibers, dyeing may produce beautiful and unexpected results. Always wear old clothing when dyeing. No matter how careful you are, some dye is likely to splash you.

Hope this can help you! and GOOOOOOOOOD LUCK! =D.
Eliza Annis

Quick Reply

Latest