The Student Room Group

A level maths - rank these modules in order of difficulty

Hey all,
so I've done AS maths this year and I'm considering to do the whole of Further Maths ( AS & A2) as well as normal A2 maths next year. For AS this year, I sat C1 C2 and S1. I'm with edexcel.

So for maths overall next year, I'd be sitting:
C3
C4
S2
FP1
M1
D1
FP2
M2
D2

Can you guys please rank these modules in order of difficulty, with the highest rank being the most difficult?

thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Hey, I've done some, but not all these modules, but I did MEI. Haven't done FP2, but from friends that have, that's the hardest. Then I would say C4 followed by C3. FP1 is fine, but there are new concepts there (mine had complex numbers among other things). Then S2/M2/D2, depends on where your strengths are as different people find some easier than others (I hated stats, but loves mechanics). Then M1/D1. If you've done As physics (or suvat) you should find M1 pretty simple with little new stuff. Friends that did D1 found it straightforward though. Hope that helps, though I did do MEI (OCR B) not edxcel. :smile:

Summary
FP2
C4
C3
FP1
S2/M2/D2
M1/D1
Original post by tabmax22
Hey all,
so I've done AS maths this year and I'm considering to do the whole of Further Maths ( AS & A2) as well as normal A2 maths next year. For AS this year, I sat C1 C2 and S1. I'm with edexcel.

C3
C4
S2
FP1
M1
D1
FP2
M2
D2

Can you guys please rank these modules in order of difficulty, with the highest rank being the most difficult?

thanks!

easiest
FP1
M1
D1
C3
C4
S2
FP2
M2
hardest

*exclusing D1 as I didn't do

this is completely subjective since some people would find D1 easy and FP1 hard, or M2 easy and FP2 hard etc
Reply 3
Original post by Mike_123
easiest
FP1
M1
D1
C3
C4
S2
FP2
M2
hardest

*exclusing D1 as I didn't do

this is completely subjective since some people would find D1 easy and FP1 hard, or M2 easy and FP2 hard etc

how similar are m2 and m1? A lot of people say m2 is easier than m1, is this true?
I found S1 easy this year, I got 96 UMS in it. I studied fp1 and m1 over summer holidays. I don't mind mechanics it isn't too hard it just requires a greater understanding of the content than statistics.
how similar are m2 and m1? A lot of people say m2 is easier than m1, is this true?
I found S1 easy this year, I got 96 UMS in it. I studied fp1 and m1 over summer holidays. I don't mind mechanics it isn't too hard it just requires a greater understanding of the content than statistics.

Hmm... in terms of content M2 is definitely harder since it introduces calculus (Edexcel), although once you have the technique it's easy and many questions in exams repeat themselves since there's only a few topics (5 or 6 I think). So in that sense, yes, M2 is easier than M1, since M1 exams vary in difficulty and content a lot I have noticed. If I were you, I'd take S2 and M2. From my own personal scores and others, I've noticed that the correlation between your S1 to S2 and M1 to M2 score is high, so you're in a good position - but don't become complacent! (it's good that you're studying over the summer)
Reply 5
Hey all,

C3
C4
S2
FP1
M1
D1
FP2
M2
D2

thanks!

FP2
C4 D2
C3 S2 FP1 M1 D1 M2

FP2 is by far the most difficult, though the person teaching it to me didn't really understand it so suffice to say I didn't really understand it. C4 is next on the list along with D2. D2 is easy enough in theory, you simply learn algorithms and then apply them. The issue is that these algorithms can because very long and so it's easy to make lots of little mistakes, you should still be able to get a high grade easy enough though.

The rest of the modules are a piece of piss anyway, so you'll be fine with them.

Alright, I'll start off by saying I did (on Edexcel):

C1-4
S1-4
M1, D1
FP1-3

It's a very subjective topic, but from my point of view, these are how I'd rank the modules you're doing (barring M2 and D2, as I haven't done them):

1) C3
2) C4
3) FP1
4) S2
5) FP2
6) D1
7) M1

1) being easiest, 7) being the most difficult out the selected few.
Reply 7
so the consensus is that Fp2 is harder than C4?
so the consensus is that Fp2 is harder than C4?

FP2 requires FP1 and C1-4 knowledge so yeah :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest