The Student Room Group

How to come to terms with being UGLY

I've acknowledged a problem so now I've got two options:

a) sort it out, e.g. surgery, make-up, paper bag
b) just ignore/accept it

I need opinions on where to go from here.
Please.

Scroll to see replies

It's frustrating but always just try and be the best person you can be. Buy nice clothes, go to the gym, wear make-up,get a good haircut etc.
Reply 2
Accept it and act on it? idk lel
Reply 3
Try not to turn to surgery because it probably won't get rid of your insecurities, and it is really expensive. You should try to find something you like about yourself to make you feel better. For instance, you might think you have an unattractive face but actually you have a nice shaped nose, or eyes etc.
However, if there is something you can do about it, say if you are overweight, then you can try to change that by e.g. going to the gym.
Reply 4
Original post by tillytots
It's frustrating but always just try and be the best person you can be. Buy nice clothes, go to the gym, wear make-up,get a good haircut etc.

Make-up on a guy? Certainly isn't seen as a normal thing to do in our society...
Original post by AnharM
Make-up on a guy? Certainly isn't seen as a normal thing to do in our society...

Sorry I was talking more generally! If he wants to wear it though, go ahead.
Reply 6
You need to recognise it and accept it. Once you've done that, you can start taking steps to improve yourself. As has been previously mentioned, get a decent haircut, cleanse, exfoliate and moisturise your face every day, update your wardrobe so you always have something clean, presentable and respectable to wear, maintain good hygiene, use some perfume, work on other things e.g. your posture, your facial expressions, the way you walk, they way you talk...become confident and accept yourself for who you are. It may all sound really trite, but it's what you have to do. The more effort you put in, the better you'll feel about yourself, it should help to boost your confidence, even if just by a little bit.

Surgery is a bit extreme...unless you have a serious disfigurement, it's a last resort. And make up is only for women. You need to work on your personality and confidence. That seems to be the standard advice for this type of problem.
Reply 7
Original post by Stinkum
You need to recognise it and accept it. Once you've done that, you can start taking steps to improve yourself. As has been previously mentioned, get a decent haircut, cleanse, exfoliate and moisturise your face every day, update your wardrobe so you always have something clean, presentable and respectable to wear, maintain good hygiene, use some perfume, work on other things e.g. your posture, your facial expressions, the way you walk, they way you talk...become confident and accept yourself for who you are. It may all sound really trite, but it's what you have to do. The more effort you put in, the better you'll feel about yourself, it should help to boost your confidence, even if just by a little bit.

Surgery is a bit extreme...unless you have a serious disfigurement, it's a last resort. And make up is only for women. You need to work on your personality and confidence. That seems to be the standard advice for this type of problem.

Personality is even harder to adapt though, I mean my personality is me, my appearance is just my body. It's difficult changing your physical body, but I'd imagine changing who you actually are is even harder. I was made to be shy/quiet/nervouswreck/worryer. How am I supposed to overcome that :s I thought changing how I look would help me shape who I am, it might refine my personality a bit and give me a bit more confidence, but I really don't know how to make any real improvements without surgery.

Anyways are you stalking me because you post on most of my crisis threads on this account and my other :s
Original post by louieee
Personality is even harder to adapt though, I mean my personality is me, my appearance is just my body. It's difficult changing your physical body, but I'd imagine changing who you actually are is even harder. I was made to be shy/quiet/nervouswreck/worryer. How am I supposed to overcome that :s I thought changing how I look would help me shape who I am, it might refine my personality a bit and give me a bit more confidence, but I really don't know how to make any real improvements without surgery.

Anyways are you stalking me because you post on most of my crisis threads on this account and my other :s

You sound like a ****er. Ugly inside too?
Reply 9
Original post by penelopecat

I wouldn't say I'm ugly inside, but I'm certainly rather dull. I haven't got anything sparkly within my soul, I'm just a base-standard person but with a few more flaws (e.g. insecure, desperate, boring, unambitious, weird, creepy, self-destructive, lazy, frightened). And no positives to outweigh the negatives apart from maybe my morality and empathy (though even these are easily corrupted).
Reply 10
Original post by penelopecat

I also moan a lot without doing anything to sort the problem because I'm always so unsure of what it is I want
Why put such a big emphasis on aesthetic qualities? They will fade with thine and ultimately disappear on death.

It's our inner being who lives on, the laughs we create, the love we share, the souls we touch.
Reply 12
Original post by Anonimity
Why put such a big emphasis on aesthetic qualities? They will fade with thine and ultimately disappear on death.

It's our inner being who lives on, the laughs we create, the love we share, the souls we touch.

because the world places a huge emphasis on appearances and I'm too weak to find my own way looking as I do.
Original post by louieee
because the world places a huge emphasis on appearances and I'm too weak to find my own way looking as I do.

Find your inner strength to not only change your life, but of those around you.
Reply 14
Original post by Anonimity
Find your inner strength to not only change your life, but of those around you.

I haven't got the strength inside of me :c
Reply 15
Ugly people can be successful too.

Have you considered applying to the circus?
I have come to terms with not being attractive. I have quite a girly face that can only be fixed by plastic surgery to square off my jaw.
Original post by GodAtum
I have come to terms with not being attractive. I have quite a girly face that can only be fixed by plastic surgery to square off my jaw.

Notice the faces of models that some women consider attractive, they have feminine faces. Read this study: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1380265/Men-feminine-faces-likely-hit-women.html

Take it with a pinch of pepper on this one.
Reply 18
Here's another option. Open your eyes and realise physical features barely matter. Honestly, people tell me I'm handsome but it's my personality that defines me. I know though, it's hard to feel like you are attractive but you are. Looks are looks. Would you eat a meal of rotting maggots if they were dressed to look appealing? Nope. Here's a saying, I've forgotten all but it goes along the lines of: Let me shed all this skin to show you that it is not appearance that makes a human beautiful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by louieee
I've acknowledged a problem so now I've got two options:

a) sort it out, e.g. surgery, make-up, paper bag
b) just ignore/accept it

I need opinions on where to go from here.
Please.

"Problem". Since when being 'ugly' a problem? Is beauty what we see portrayed in the media? The imagery of Beauty is varied throughout cultures and countries: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2670945/What-does-perfect-face-look-like-Global-ideal-beauty-standards-revealed-woman-asks-25-countries-Photoshop-image.html

It has always and always will be in the eye of the beholder.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending