The Student Room Group

What date do we actually get our student loan?

I'm an undergraduate going into first year full time course :smile: Was just wondering what day do we get it, and it is predicted to be delayed?
If your finance has been confirmed, you can look on your online account and find your scheduled payment dates. The payment should be scheduled for thr first day you start your course but can be delayed by 3 or 4 days.
Reply 2
Original post by xokerryn
I'm an undergraduate going into first year full time course :smile: Was just wondering what day do we get it, and it is predicted to be delayed?

The date will vary between universities. Your SF notification will give you the earliest possible date, but it will probably be later than that.

Two things have to happen before SF release your funds:

1) You have to enrol at uni, which usually happens during Freshers' or Induction Week.
2) The uni then have to inform SF that you have enrolled.

Your money will be in your bank account a few days after that.

When your money actually arrives depends on when you enrol, how soon the uni informs SF afterwards and how long it takes for your money to get through the banking system.

There's no reason to think that there will be any kind of systemic delay this year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
The date will vary between universities. Your SF notification will give you the earliest possible date, but it will probably be later than that.

Two things have to happen before SF release your funds:

1) You have to enrol at uni, which usually happens during Freshers' or Induction Week.
2) The uni then have to inform SF that you have enrolled.

Your money will be in your bank account a few days after that.

When your money actually arrives depends on when you enrol, how soon the uni informs SF afterwards and how long it takes for your money to get through the banking system.

There's no reason to think that there will be any kind of systemic delay this year.

What if you are using your student loan to pay for accomodation on campus? Will they let you pay after moving in?
Original post by tea&scrabble
What if you are using your student loan to pay for accomodation on campus? Will they let you pay after moving in?

The uni I'm going to only requires you to pay the first instalment of your accommodation fees by the end of October. It's probably similar for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by tea&scrabble

That would be normal, yes. Unis are very well aware of when Student Finance arrives and that you probably will get it after moving in.
Reply 6
The issue here is that Students need some cash to live on the day they move into theior accomodation and it seems 2the system" foesnt provide for that.

Aside from the obvious ways of getting cash , can you get banks to fork out an overdraft immediately, assuming you have all the necessary to show you are attending, have finance in place etc ?
SFE totally messed up my application, I won't be getting any money till October. Haven't got my national insurance number even though I've asked for it like 500 times now in the past year with them saying you'll probably get it just before university. And then the lovely team at Student Finance telling me they have a backlog of 16 days worth of applications, WHY DONT YOU DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS? Hire more staff to help deal with the congestion, students have universities to go to and you're just making everyone's lives harder.
Original post by Baldness
The issue here is that Students need some cash to live on the day they move into theior accomodation and it seems 2the system" foesnt provide for that.

Aside from the obvious ways of getting cash , can you get banks to fork out an overdraft immediately, assuming you have all the necessary to show you are attending, have finance in place etc ?

the system can't because it needs to make sure that students have turned up before it can pay. Some banks will allow you to get a smaller overdraft before you start.

Quick Reply