The Student Room Group

What time do your parents get you up in the morning?

When you're off school/college/work, do your parents make you get out of bed? My parents got me up at 7am this morning. If I stay in bed any later than 8am, all hell breaks loose in this house. Huge arguments and I'm called lazy. They never wake me up like you see in movies either, you know, the soft nudge and saying your name. Nope, my parents burst into my room and shout "LUCY. UP. NOW. YOU HAVE CHORES TO DO." So I wake up in a bad mood. Just wondering if anyone else's parents make them get up when they're off school or work, and if so what time? Am I right in thinking that 7am is just ridiculous? I'm not allowed to have a lie in it seems.

Scroll to see replies

Err 7am's not too crazy, is it?

That aside, why don't they just leave it up to you to set an alarm and get up? Can't you do your chores in an evening? Do any parents do the soft nudge wake up thing? Do they let you have a lie in on the weekend? How old are you?
I don't know, they just like to boss me about. When I stay over at my boyfriend's I'm always up at about 8 or 9 by my own devices, so it's not like I'd be getting up at silly o'clock if they didn't get me up.
And no, the point I'm trying to make is I'm never allowed a lie in, I'm not even allowed to stay in bed when I'm ill. I've been doing 9-6 shifts while I've been off uni, so today was my first day off in a long time yet I was still made to get up earlier than I wanted. I am 19.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ha just to wait until you get a real job. I have to wake up at 5am five days a week, then take my partner too work at the weekends waking up at 6am. Then again, I did wake up at 5:30am everyday at University for gym/work.

Still, it allows me to get loads done.
No, I don't live with my parents so it is my responsibility to get up for work and be on time. I have to be up at half 5 in the morning to be at work for 7. If I don't have work then I have a lay in until about 10 :smile: thank goodness!
I used do 7am - 10 pm shifts 6x a week in my previous job, as well as study. I think it is a bit mean that you are being forced to get up though - just ask them if you can at least have a lay in until 9 or do the chores the night beforehand lol
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonimity
Ha just to wait until you get a real job. I have to wake up at 5am five days a week, then take my partner too work at the weekends waking up at 6am. Then again, I did wake up at 5:30am everyday at University for gym/work.

Still, it allows me to get loads done.

But I'm talking about when you don't have things to do? I'm usually up early because I work 9-6 everyday, but today I had a day off and nothing to do but was made to get up at 7am, which I'm not gonna lie I was pretty pissed about. First opportunity to have a lie in for so long, and I'm not allowed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by x-Venezia-x
No, I don't live with my parents so it is my responsibility to get up for work and be on time. I have to be up at half 5 in the morning to be at work for 7. If I don't have work then I have a lay in until about 10 :smile: thank goodness!
I used do 7am - 10 pm shifts 6x a week in my previous job, as well as study. I think it is a bit mean that you are being forced to get up though - just ask them if you can at least have a lay in until 9 or do the chores the night beforehand lol

It makes me sound like I can't even get up on my own - I can, I always get up on my own for work, but when I'm not at work they decide I have to get up early. It just feels like everyone I know gets to choose when they get up, and a lot of those people will only get up around dinnertime yet I'm the lazy one?
I've tried, it's a recurring argument. -sadface-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucybuckleyy
It makes me sound like I can't even get up on my own - I can, I always get up on my own for work, but when I'm not at work they decide I have to get up early. It just feels like everyone I know gets to choose when they get up, and a lot of those people will only get up around dinnertime yet I'm the lazy one?
I've tried, it's a recurring argument. -sadface-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably sounds a bit off, but maybe you should consider getting your own place? That's the only way you can escape from the issue if it keeps becoming an argument.
Original post by x-Venezia-x
Probably sounds a bit off, but maybe you should consider getting your own place? That's the only way you can escape from the issue if it keeps becoming an argument.

I'm moving on Saturday, I've had a place sorted out for a while now. It can't come quick enough, I can't wait to actually have a lie in without any arguments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My parents don't get me up and I'm 14. :lolwut:

It depends on what I'm doing that day, if I've done thr stuff I need to do for that day etc. Anywhere between 6:15-7:00am. Usually 7am though. I have to have at least 2 alarms though. :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lucybuckleyy
I'm moving on Saturday, I've had a place sorted out for a while now. It can't come quick enough, I can't wait to actually have a lie in without any arguments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's very good news! You will be looking forward to your much needed lay in :biggrin:
They don't care. Mind you I only stay with them over christmas, summer and the odd weekend so it's unlikely that I'll have some kind of commitment to be awake for. If I'm working or something they might wake me up an hour or so before I have to leave, but if not then they just let me sleep to whenever.
Usually if I have stuff to do or places to go, I'll set an alarm or two on my phone and be up by 8 at least. If I'm not up by like 12 then my mum wakes me up; however, there have been times on the weekend where no one has woke me up until like 4pm and I've missed half the day haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr...
My alarm wakes me up at 7:00 but I et out of bed at 7:20/7:30 anyway :fyi:

What time does your school start? :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
yeah, summer holidays now and my parents always want me up before 9am.......imo they just feel bad that they have to get up earlier than me...
Wow, 7am is pretty early - what time do you go to bed?!

My mum is working constantly at the moment to pay for uni (I start next month) so she's usually left when I wake up, which is generally between 9 and 11 depending on how I feel. To be honest if I were you I'd try refusing to get up and see what they do, haha!
Original post by Niamhrado
Wow, 7am is pretty early - what time do you go to bed?!

My mum is working constantly at the moment to pay for uni (I start next month) so she's usually left when I wake up, which is generally between 9 and 11 depending on how I feel. To be honest if I were you I'd try refusing to get up and see what they do, haha!

Well last night I decided to go to bed later than usual because I was off today, but if I knew I was getting up at 7am I would have gone to bed at my usual time, around 10:30. Which is annoying.
Trust me, I've tried. It just makes things worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
do you live at home for university?

For college I would always fail to get myself up so my mum would knock and bring me coffee in and to tell me to be up soon by 7;30am

when I have nothing to do I get up when I want, unless I have to take dogs out or something, always up before 1pm anyway
At like 10 :colonhash:
Original post by Joshale
do you live at home for university?

For college I would always fail to get myself up so my mum would knock and bring me coffee in and to tell me to be up soon by 7;30am

when I have nothing to do I get up when I want, unless I have to take dogs out or something, always up before 1pm anyway

No, I've just been at home since June because that was when I finished first year.
I don't think I've ever been in bed past 12pm before!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest