The Student Room Group

I want to start my own solar manufacturing company

My dad owns a solar supply shop and i want to expand it in the future to the extent that we start manufacturing our own solar panels.
i have completed my A-levels.what academic qualifications do i need to go for in higher education so that i can achieve this.
i was planning on studying electrical and electronic engineering
Reply 1
You do sound slightly naive. Manufacture of solar panels is expensive and is therefore done on a massive industrial scale. It's not really something you just expand into in the way you're describing. It's unlikely you would ever get the capital together to actually fund the equipment you would need and I can't see you ever really having a successful business model.

Solar energy is a huge area of research at the moment. There's a lot of interest in graphene for the possible application of producing transparent panels. If you're interested, any kind of thing like chemical engineering and even straight science or engineering degrees will be helpful for getting started in these areas.

What you're suggesting though, it's not really something you can educate yourself into. You do an engineering degree at undergraduate level or to masters and you get a job in applied research or industry. You can't just pick up the relevant and specific skills to manufacturing a specific product and then just go and apply them in your dad's shop. It just doesn't work that way.

Quick Reply

Latest