The Student Room Group

English Lit

Hey. I've just found out my UMS Score for GCSE English Literature. For an A*, you needed 170 and 150 for an A. I achieved 161, but the problem is that my class have all got 187 +. What do you think I should do, and I should warn you that I can get really jealous really easily. Do you think I should take it, and if you get an A at GCSE are you expected to get an A at A-level?

Reply 1
f you get an A at GCSE are you expected to get an A at A-level?

not at all. People with A*s get Bs, and people with Bs get As. It's not really that good an indication of how well you'll do at A-level. Trust me, I have no idea what everyone else got in my old English class, and if we did know each other's scores, we wouldn't care. Even the first essay you do becomes more important than whether you got an A or A* at GCSE. Don't worry about it.
Reply 2
^o)
Take it! An A is still a very good grade and shows you have the potential to get an A at A-level as long as you keep putting the effort in. I've heard more people get As at A-level in each subject than A*s at GCSE.
you've probably read my BITTER tirade in another thread, but the general gist of it is that I was CHEATED out of an A* somehow at GCSE for Literature, then got 290/300 in AS, 100% on several modules etc. and 92% in the total A-level whilst not finding it at all hard etc. etc. I wouldn't put too much weight on the distinction between A and A* at GCSE. Grrr.
How do you find out your UMS score?
OP, An A at GCSE really does not mean you will be predicted A at A-level, it could all go drastically wrong at A-level as many have found out. An A means you obviously have a good ability in English, and you wern't ridiculously far from an A*, so def. take it A level. I'm sure you could get an A, but don't be complacent, it still requires hard work like the GCSE, but go for it :smile: Good luck with everything xxx
Reply 6
threepiecesuit
you've probably read my BITTER tirade in another thread, but the general gist of it is that I was CHEATED out of an A* somehow at GCSE for Literature, then got 290/300 in AS, 100% on several modules etc. and 92% in the total A-level whilst not finding it at all hard etc. etc. I wouldn't put too much weight on the distinction between A and A* at GCSE. Grrr.

How do you know you were cheated out of an A*?

OP: as it has been said in many similar threads, an A at GCSE is more than good enough to continue to A level.
hi there
if you get an A at GCSE are you expected to get an A at A-level?

GCSEs aren't a great indicator, I got an A* at GCSE and came out with a C at AS :frown:

Latest