The Student Room Group

Should I take critical thinking at As?

I enrolled at my college yesterday, and my tutor said it would be a good idea for me to take critical thinking as a fifth As level. I'm taking biology, chemistry, maths and English literature. She said because of the combination, critical thinking would benefit my studies in other subjects and give me an edge. It would only be two lessons a week, however I am aware that most universities don't even look at it - I want to study medicine and pretty much all of the universities I am looking at ignore it completely. Yet the skills I would learn and the benefit it may give to my performance in other areas (also the help it may offer in the bmat and ukcat) is appealing. From people who have done it, is it worth the extra work? Did it give you an edge in university applications? Thank you!
Reply 1
Go for it. You can always drop it if you don't like it. :smile:
I am :smile: mine is as a 5th AS, an Enrichment kinda thing for two lessons a week, like you.
I was never offered Critical Thinking AS and would not have taken it if I had been, nor do I have any experience with the exam.

However, recently in preparation for my entry to University and the LNAT I have read and completed a text book on Critical Thinking, and from this experience I'd absolutely recommend taking it. I like to think that I'm quite good at arguing regardless, however I really think my brief foray into Critical Thinking helped me enormously.

So I'd recommend taking it, after all it's probably quite easy and would look good to have another high grade (even if it is a subject Universities don't accept).

Quick Reply

Latest