The Student Room Group

How do Universities view GCSE retakes?

Just curious
Reply 1
I don't think most really care tbh. If someone can just confirm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by qr95
I don't think most really care tbh. If someone can just confirm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just curious and if so, how does it appear on the application. Is it just the best grade or what?
Reply 3
Bump
Most don't care because it depends on what you want to do. I'm studying Journalism & Creative Writing, and embarrassingly got a D in maths GCSE, retook it at college and still got a D (maths really isn't my strong point) and I still got into uni. Creative courses that are more concerned about personal merit don't really care about core GCSE subject grades :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Novascope
Most don't care because it depends on what you want to do. I'm studying Journalism & Creative Writing, and embarrassingly got a D in maths GCSE, retook it at college and still got a D (maths really isn't my strong point) and I still got into uni. Creative courses that are more concerned about personal merit don't really care about core GCSE subject grades :smile:

Thanks how is it declared on your statement? Is it just the higher grade or does it say your previous grade and the grade you obtained from retaking it?
Original post by bravia
Thanks how is it declared on your statement? Is it just the higher grade or does it say your previous grade and the grade you obtained from retaking it?

Well I'm guessing it still said grade D on my UCAS application? So all the universities I applied for saw that. While I was taking my A Levels I had to put D and mention that I was retaking.
Reply 7
Original post by Novascope
Well I'm guessing it still said grade D on my UCAS application? So all the universities I applied for saw that. While I was taking my A Levels I had to put D and mention that I was retaking.

I thought you apply after your AS results come out??
Original post by bravia
I thought you apply after your AS results come out??

I've already gotten into university haha. Starting next month. Should've explained myself properly sorry. What I meant is that when I applied, I put what grade I got at GCSE, and there's an option you can select to say you're retaking it. I however got a D again in A2, so I'm presuming it still said D on my application but my university obviously overlooked that since they accepted me.

Quick Reply

Latest