The Student Room Group

Why are people afraid of spiders?

Even adults /grown men would run scared seeing large spiders lol. :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Because they are too fast, freaky as **** and nothing needs eight legs.
Because some of them are deadly, presumably.
The way they crawl and pop up out of nowhere :zomg:
Reply 4
Have you never watched spider man!
They're just horrifying. The way they look and move .. ugh:afraid:
It really bugs me that they could get in my face and hair. If they stayed on the ground they wouldn't be so scary.
8 long spindly legs and the unpredictability of their movement - that's really what it boils down to

If you think about it, anything with long spindly legs is super creepy - have you ever seen one of those huge mosquitoes where the long legs just hang down ughhhhhhhh...

The grossest thing about spiders is how they can potentially have a back filled with lots of tiny little baby spiders - DO NOT CLICK THE SPOILER IF YOU ARE SCARED OF SPIDERS

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
http://www.hypnoshop.com/hypnosis/creation-of-fears-and-phobias/

Experiences and memories. The brain is complicated.
There are evolutionary reasons to be wary of creepy crawlies. Some of those things are deadly.
I'm not. Spiders are awesome. They catch flies, and flies ****ing suck. Everyone knows that.
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
8 long spindly legs and the unpredictability of their movement - that's really what it boils down to

If you think about it, anything with long spindly legs is super creepy - have you ever seen one of those huge mosquitoes where the long legs just hang down ughhhhhhhh...

The grossest thing about spiders is how they can potentially have a back filled with lots of tiny little baby spiders - DO NOT CLICK THE SPOILER IF YOU ARE SCARED OF SPIDERS

Spoiler

i clicked it omg i clicked ittt

whyy oh whyyyyyyy

:afraid:

:cry:

:bawling:
I'm not scared of them, but they can be a little creepy.
Original post by cupcakes87
i clicked it omg i clicked ittt

whyy oh whyyyyyyy

:afraid:

:cry:

:bawling:

Haha I explicitly told you not to click it!
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood

Spoiler

I clicked on the damn spoiler :frown:
I think there is some evidence that shows people are scared for evolutionary reasons. It makes sense because everyone seems to be scared of the same sort of animals.. Spiders, snakes, rats.

The latter for disease, the others for poison etc
There's no logical reason to be scared of them in the UK really. If you lived in a part of the world native to deadly spiders then yeah, fair enough. I just think most people dislike how they look and move. To actually fear an ordinary house spider is pretty irrational.
I woke up with one on my pillow when I was younger! I've never been the same since horrific experience!! :cry2:
Reply 18
Status update with a picture from a friend today:

"So I lay down in bed and a few seconds later I felt somethig tickle across my face so I sad up and half panicked and I thought it was a bug but I was hoping it was just my hair and I felt something on my head but I didn't know what and basically tHIS LITTLE BITCH RAN ACROSS MY FRICKIN FACE THEN HID IN MY HAIR I WANT TO CRY I FEEL VIOLATED"

-SPIDER IMAGE WARNING-

Spoiler

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
I clicked on the damn spoiler :frown:

I'm sorry :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest