The Student Room Group

So have I ruined my life?

I received my terrible AS results (CDEE) and have seriously begun to think about my future. I've always been bright, but easily distracted. During GCSEs, predictions were terrible, and when I got my head straight, I came out with 7A*/A's and 2B's.
During my AS' I became tied into something that took away all of my time, no time to study etc. The plan is to drop the C subject, retake the DEE and do them for A2. With the right attitude, I am more than confident that I can get 2A's from them with hard work.

I know I wont get any offers, but is there even any chance I'll get into a top Uni if a miracle happens and my A2 results meet requirements?

Scroll to see replies

You can get a place at a top uni through Clearing:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, it's definitely possible. You'll probably have to either:
1) Apply with predicted grades then get into a better uni through adjustment if you get an offer and exceed it.
2) Apply through clearing if you get no offers.
3) Take a gap year after A2s and apply with your grades in hand. This option would also give you more time to focus on studying rather than your UCAS application.

I had a similar experience with a surprising bad grade in my first AS (fortunately it was just one as I took it early) due to poor motivation. For me, the solution was studying after school in the library rather than at home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
With AS results of CDEE, my predicted grades will probably be low and so surely unis would just turn me down?
I think the most realistic option for me to still get into a top uni would be to take a gap year and reapply.

Now that time is running short, the motivation has kicked in. I'm sure the results will show come results day.
Miracles are irrelevant. If you don't want similar results at A2, you need to discover your inner work ethic, jettison the distractions, and work your socks off. It's possible, but (unlike GCSEs) can't be done at the last minute.
I know a lot of people that did worse than you although it is still quite bad, may I ask what the C is in and why you are dropping that as it is your highest grade and you could easily bump it up to a B, even an A.
Reply 6
Original post by Crumpet1
Miracles are irrelevant. If you don't want similar results at A2, you need to discover your inner work ethic, jettison the distractions, and work your socks off. It's possible, but (unlike GCSEs) can't be done at the last minute.

Yeah that's where I went wrong with the AS'. Wasn't prepared for the jump from GCSEs and did everything last minute. Now I've learnt my lesson. As long as I know, there's still a chance for me to attend a top uni, I'll obviously put in everything i've got.
Reply 7
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
I know a lot of people that did worse than you although it is still quite bad, may I ask what the C is in and why you are dropping that as it is your highest grade and you could easily bump it up to a B, even an A.

C is Computing.
The D was Product design and was only bad because of the paper, my coursework was relatively good so it could easily be bumped to a B. To be honest, through out the year, computing wasn't my strong subject. The result took me by surprise.
Reply 8
Original post by BubbleFish1
With AS results of CDEE, my predicted grades will probably be low and so surely unis would just turn me down?
I think the most realistic option for me to still get into a top uni would be to take a gap year and reapply.

Now that time is running short, the motivation has kicked in. I'm sure the results will show come results day.

Apply to a couple of low ranked universities that have their entry requirements as points rather than grades. That will increase your chances of getting an offer, and if you exceed your offer on results day, you can go through adjustment to get into a top university. I know people who did that and it worked for them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by c-anne-
Apply to a couple of low ranked universities that have their entry requirements as points rather than grades. That will increase your chances of getting an offer, and if you exceed your offer on results day, you can go through adjustment to get into a top university. I know people who did that and it worked for them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What AS/A2 grades did they get and what unis through adjustment if you don't mind me asking?
C is Computing.
The D was Product design and was only bad because of the paper, my coursework was relatively good so it could easily be bumped to a B. To be honest, through out the year, computing wasn't my strong subject. The result took me by surprise.

Oh lol, if you are really gonna work this year then resit your exams but if you aren't then consider taking a btec? One of my friend's flopped and got AEEU and is; instead of resitting, doing a btec. Its all on you, A Levels don't require for you to be clever, they require for you to work HARD.
Reply 11
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
Oh lol, if you are really gonna work this year then resit your exams but if you aren't then consider taking a btec? One of my friend's flopped and got AEEU and is; instead of resitting, doing a btec. Its all on you, A Levels don't require for you to be clever, they require for you to work HARD.

My Sixth form dont offer BTEC and are only letting me back if I do the retakes anyway since they believe I can get the grades.
I always though A levels required you to be clever, but after looking back on the course, there was really nothing I couldn't grasp.
Just work hard; you have added work as you are going to be resitting so you have to keep on top of the A2 stuff as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well someone's not going to Oxbridge...
You could always take a gap year and apply with your A level results when you actually have them!
Reply 15
Original post by HSRMJ
Well someone's not going to Oxbridge...

Well there was no way I was aiming that high from GCSEs anyway.
Or choose other subjects, retake the ones you have it will mean repeating as level again and and then do a2 the second year. You could go for distance learning if you can't retake

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well there was no way I was aiming that high from GCSEs anyway.

You what???? Oxbridge is the only uni worth going to according to TSR!
Retake and apply through Clearing :smile: ABB will lead you to a good uni.
Reply 19
What AS/A2 grades did they get and what unis through adjustment if you don't mind me asking?

I don't know their exact grades but I know they went from around Cs/Ds at AS, which went up to As/Bs at A2. Someone upgraded from an ex-polytechnic to Nottingham, so it's definitely doable!

If you're going to have a gap year after your A-levels by not applying to university for 2015, then you might as well just resit Year 12. It makes more sense to use a year out to your advantage, rather than have a year wasted by not doing much :smile:

Here's a link to a thread which may be of more use, it's specifically people who improved at A2. Hope this helps!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2432356

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest