The Student Room Group

Man in UK let off rape because 'Muslim upbringing did not teach him to respect women'

An 18-year-old man in the U.K. who raped a 13-year-old girl was spared a prison sentence by Nottingham Crown Court after he claimed that his Muslim upbringing did not teach him to respect women."Although chronologically 18, it is quite clear from the reports that you are very naive and immature when it comes to sexual matters," Judge Michael Stokes said when handing Adil Rashid a suspended sentence.

Rashid claimed in his defense that he met his 13-year-old victim through Facebook and the two exchanged messages for two months, before they met up in Nottingham. The teen admitted to having sex with the girl, but said that he was not aware that the activity was illegal and constituted rape, because he was raised with a Muslim education and was not aware of the law.

The Daily Mail reported that such crimes usually result in a four- to seven-year prison sentence, but because the judge deemed that Rashid was "passive" and "lacking assertiveness," it would be unwise to send him to haul because it might cause him "more damage than good."

The 13-year-old girl, who was not named, confessed to having a sexual encounter with the man to a school friend, who informed one of her teachers. This eventually led to Rashid's arrest.

In court, the 18-year-old said that he received his education at an Islamic school within the U.K., and had "little experience of women." The school, which also could not be named, apparently taught him that "women are no more worthy than a lollipop that has been dropped on the ground."

The man claims that he found out that his actions were illegal only after a family member told him so.

Judge Stokes initially said that Rashid "must have known it was illegal, unless he was going round with his eyes shut," but defense lawyer Laban Leake successfully argued that his client had a "degree of sexual naivety."
The Sun added that Rashid also said the girl had "tempted" him into sex and that he later said that he felt bad for his actions.

"I accept this was a case where the girl was quite willing to have sexual activity with you. But the law is there to protect young girls, even though they are perfectly happy to engage in sexual activity," Stokes concluded.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/muslim-claims-he-didnt-know-rape-was-illegal-spared-prison-by-uk-court-89106/

I really don't know what to say.

This country is pathetic.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

A) He's not been let off, he has been found guilty. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

B) Sentencing guidelines are just that, guidelines, if an experienced, professional judge thinks that they should be deviated from for good reasons (here that he thinks alternative punishment will be more effective and, unsaid, that prison is the University of Crime). If the CPS disagree with the Judge's assessment they can appeal.
Reply 2
this is why im leaving the UK after uni...
This reeks of Daily Fail...
Reply 4

It was not a rape she was willing to have sex with him....

Judge Michael Stokes handed Rashid a suspended sentence, saying: ‘Although chronologically 18, it is quite clear from the reports that you are very naive and immature when it comes to sexual matters.’
Earlier Nottingham Crown Court heard that such crimes usually result in a four to seven-year prison sentence.
But the judge said that because Rashid was ‘passive’ and ‘lacking assertiveness’, sending him to jail might cause him ‘more damage than good’.
Rashid, from Birmingham, admitted he had sex with the girl, saying he had been ‘tempted by her’ after they met online.
They initially exchanged messages on Facebook before sending texts and chatting on the phone over a two-month period.
They then met up in Nottingham, where Rashid had booked a room at a Premier Inn.
The girl told police they stayed at the hotel for two hours and had sex after Rashid went to the bathroom and emerged wearing a condom.

Rashid then returned home and went straight to a mosque to pray. He was arrested the following week after the girl confessed what had happened to a school friend, who informed one of her teachers.
He told police he knew the girl was 13 but said he was initially reluctant to have sex before relenting after being seduced.
1/10

worst country ever
Original post by Bakayaro
It was not a rape she was willing to have sex with him....

Judge Michael Stokes handed Rashid a suspended sentence, saying: ‘Although chronologically 18, it is quite clear from the reports that you are very naive and immature when it comes to sexual matters.’
Earlier Nottingham Crown Court heard that such crimes usually result in a four to seven-year prison sentence.
But the judge said that because Rashid was ‘passive’ and ‘lacking assertiveness’, sending him to jail might cause him ‘more damage than good’.
Rashid, from Birmingham, admitted he had sex with the girl, saying he had been ‘tempted by her’ after they met online.
They initially exchanged messages on Facebook before sending texts and chatting on the phone over a two-month period.
They then met up in Nottingham, where Rashid had booked a room at a Premier Inn.
The girl told police they stayed at the hotel for two hours and had sex after Rashid went to the bathroom and emerged wearing a condom.

Rashid then returned home and went straight to a mosque to pray. He was arrested the following week after the girl confessed what had happened to a school friend, who informed one of her teachers.
He told police he knew the girl was 13 but said he was initially reluctant to have sex before relenting after being seduced.

Actually, you are incorrect. Under our law, having sex with a 13 year old, whether they so-called 'consented' or not, is considered statutory rape. Considering her young age, she is unable to make such decisions in the eyes of the law, thus unable to consent to that activity.
Reply 7
Original post by kasdeya-mae
Actually, you are incorrect. Under our law, having sex with a 13 year old, whether they so-called 'consented' or not, is considered statutory rape. Considering her young age, she is unable to make such decisions in the eyes of the law, thus unable to consent to that activity.

Well she was willing so in my opinion it's not a rape.

She was under the age of sixteen, so unable to properly make the decision.
Reply 9
Oh how foolishly naive of him, his religion doesn't say that its not ok to mistreat the law and have relations with a young girl... Just shows how insidious and malicious religion really is

Good thing it's the law of the land that presides over this case, and not the law of Bakayaro :wink:

Though, just to question you further, at what point do you think it's unacceptable? Say, the girl was 10 years old and the man in question 18? From your reasoning, if the 10 year old was 'willing', there would be no problem? What about people who have mental disabilities?

It's a contentious issue. I think it would be unwise to bluntly saying 'well, if the child/person is 'willing', that's okay'.
Reply 11
Original post by kasdeya-mae
Good thing it's the law of the land that presides over this case, and not the law of Bakayaro :wink:

Though, just to question you further, at what point do you think it's unacceptable? Say, the girl was 10 years old and the man in question 18? From your reasoning, if the 10 year old was 'willing', there would be no problem? What about people who have mental disabilities?

It's a contentious issue. I think it would be unwise to bluntly saying 'well, if the child/person is 'willing', that's okay'.

she's 13 not 10..
some 13 year old girls look 18 though yo.
Funnily enough, if he was brought up with an actual Muslim education then he wouldn't even be having sex in the first place.

Islam, like all other religions, teaches that sex before marriage is not allowed. The guy's a moron and should've felt the full extent of the law.
Reply 14
Rashid then returned home and went straight to a mosque to pray.

What a loser. Brainwashed by religion but cannot even follow its rules (I bet that's why he "felt bad" as well, nothing to do with the girl). Judgement is about right though. At least he will be on the sex offenders register.
she's 13 not 10..

But what's the difference, according I your principle? If she's willing...

Anyway, the prophet Muhammed consummated his marriage with Aisha when she was 9 or 10, and he was 53. Perhaps that was usual in his time, but it is rightly heinous now to even think of doing that in the UK. Alas, that's the point made in this case.
Reply 16
Original post by kelefi
this is why im leaving the UK after uni...

Haha, I may do the same thing. This county is a mess -__-. Any ideas where you'd want to go :smile:? I think I'd like Australia however I have heard it's incredibly hard to get a visa and on top of that it is a hell of a long way away from family...
Original post by CTArsenal
Funnily enough, if he was brought up with an actual Muslim education then he wouldn't even be having sex in the first place.

Islam, like all other religions, teaches that sex before marriage is not allowed.

This is an interesting point

My first response to this was that the judge used his judgement and, whilst I think there should be some punishment, I was willing to accept the decision was within his power

But you are correct - the rapist seems to be picking and choosing the cultural and religious messages that he has listened too

Oops - my mistake apparently (later post) it was fine for him to have sex with non-believers
(edited 9 years ago)
Jesus. Dare I ask it, are there any repercussions for the school he went to?
He lives in the UK but in some culture (african-south asian-arab -hindu/muslim) it's normal for them...He went to an Islamic school , so I guess he didn't know that it is illegal to have sex with minors in the UK...

I wasn't taught this is my school. It's one of those things which shouldn't need to be told.

He went to an islamic school? I wonder if they were taught that sleeping with children is okayy.

Latest

Trending

Trending