The Student Room Group

Want to teach History and PE? Help please?!

Hello, teaching is a career I am considering to pursue. I am 16, starting my A Levels next week. Can anyone help me on how to become a teacher in general and how to teach History and PE? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also, is it possible to teach more than two subjects?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SamUKG97
Hello, teaching is a career I am considering to pursue. I am 16, starting my A Levels next week. Can anyone help me on how to become a teacher in general and how to teach History and PE? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also, is it possible to teach more than two subjects?

I assume you mean secondary teaching?
You would generally train to teach one subject and get a job teaching that subject. You can then move into teaching a second subject if you can persuade your employer that you have the necessary knowledge or there is a need in that subject that you could help with. For example, you could train to be a History teacher and volunteer to run afterschool sports groups to gain experience in that kind of field. Then express your desire to teach the other subject alongside your current one and see what your employers say. There isn't a set way to get into teaching two subjects however, this is just an example.

So, you need to decided which subject you would prefer to train to teach in. You will need at least half of your degree to be in this subject.
In your third year you would apply for teacher training courses (if you wanted to start the course immediately after your degree). There are a variety of courses (PGCE, Schools Direct, Teach First, SCITT) and you should research each one and decide which you think is best for you. Teacher training courses are subject specific for secondary so you would need to apply to either one subject or the other.
Both PE and History teacher training courses are extremely competitive (PE probably a bit more so) and hard to get on to so you will need to gain a lot of experience in schools (e.g. observing lessons, helping with school clubs) and with young people (youth clubs, volunteering, coaching local sports teams) to assist your application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending