The Student Room Group

EngLit - effects of words

In the passage below, what effect do the words "rust-brown" and "only" have on the readers?? :confused:

"In the mirror he could see the blood smears on his face had become rust-brown. Hesitantly, bit by bit, he removed the only trace left of her. In the mirror he could see the blood smears on his face had become rust-brown. Hesitantly, bit by bit, he removed the only trace left of her."

(if anyone's is wondering...this is from The Assault)......

THANKS A BUNCH :smile:
I think that 'rust-brown' gives the impression that it has been there for a long time, particularly as 'rust' is something that suggests to something being old, like a gate that has gone rusty because it hasn't been repainted in a long time. (It's kind of hard because I don't know the story)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! 'Rust brown' suggests something that has worn with time or grown older, and when couple with the blood it represents could suggest a phase of violence or harm the character has experienced has ended or has been overcome. Alternately, it could also be an allusion to an abrupt end of a relationship or something like that as a heart is often representative of love. The 'only' adds something to this part, and also presents the possibility of grief or pain, linking with the blood. On the other hand, it could also link back to the age that 'rust' suggests and that he has moved on from this event.

Sorry that's a bit vague, but that's what I got from the passage- I'll try and find the text tomorrow and come back to you if you'd like?x :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending