The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tguindy
Good news everyone!! Rang Durham today asking about the cutoff and apparently it's 2500! Amazed at how low it is, i guess the number of applicants must have gone through the floor given the super high cutoff last year and the huge reduction in scores this year!

do newcastle and durham share the same cut off?
Reply 61
Original post by tguindy
Good news everyone!! Rang Durham today asking about the cutoff and apparently it's 2500! Amazed at how low it is, i guess the number of applicants must have gone through the floor given the super high cutoff last year and the huge reduction in scores this year!

Would be really surprised if this is true?! That's below the national average

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by am1992
If that is true (and I'm not saying I don't believe you, I just don't want to get too hopeful!) you have officially made my day 100x better!!! That is amazingly low though, I'm only sitting on 2760 and was almost certain I'd be rejected on that basis!

On another note, I put down 'either' for Durham/Newcastle campus, any idea when we are sorted?

I know, i do find it pretty hard to believe myself!! But congratulations, hopefully an interview will find it's way to you soon! As for Durham/Newcastle, I don't know when that gets sorted...
Original post by ja1
Would be really surprised if this is true?! That's below the national average

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I thought, must have just had crazily few applicants!
Original post by langers21
do newcastle and durham share the same cut off?

Yep!!
Original post by tguindy
Yep!!

So basically everyone is gonna get an interview. That's good. Hopefully the odds offer after interview for Newcastle will also be a bit better if there are not many applicants.
Original post by Haider302
So basically everyone is gonna get an interview. That's good. Hopefully the odds offer after interview for Newcastle will also be a bit better if there are not many applicants.

trying not to get my hopes up (not that i dont believe the original post) cos with this being my 4th time applying i've been knocked back too much!
trying not to get my hopes up (not that i dont believe the original post) cos with this being my 4th time applying i've been knocked back too much!

Oh ok. Wow that's a lot of applications, you must be really committed for this. It's only my 2nd time this year. Where else have you decided to go for this year?
Oh ok. Wow that's a lot of applications, you must be really committed for this. It's only my 2nd time this year. Where else have you decided to go for this year?

yeah i'm a graduate but applied for all undergrad courses to give myself the best chance so went for Leeds, HYMS, Manchester
how about you?
yeah i'm a graduate but applied for all undergrad courses to give myself the best chance so went for Leeds, HYMS, Manchester
how about you?

Plymouth, Cardiff and Exeter. Where did you apply before?
Does any one know how many applicants Newcastle got this year?
For the cutoff to be that low they must have got considerably fewer than normal....
Plymouth, Cardiff and Exeter. Where did you apply before?

first time: imperial, edinburgh, newcastle, nottingham
second time: aberdeen, glasgow, UEA (2 biomed)
third time: Warwick, southampton (grad), Leeds, Leicester (undergrad)
first time: imperial, edinburgh, newcastle, nottingham
second time: aberdeen, glasgow, UEA (2 biomed)
third time: Warwick, southampton (grad), Leeds, Leicester (undergrad)

Lots of different places. I applied to Cambridge, UCL, Birmingham and Cardiff last year.
Reply 73
Original post by QuidditchFan
Congratulations to him! I How did your son find out that he had an interview? I've got a friend who is in a similar position to your son but hasn't received an interview offer yet (he got 790). Do you suggest that emailing Durham directly is best?

Thank you. There was a phone call to our home phone, followed up with an email. Good luck to your friend-I would suggest waiting a while yet.
Reply 74
Original post by ChordaeTendineae
Does any one know how many applicants Newcastle got this year?
For the cutoff to be that low they must have got considerably fewer than normal....

Someone on another page put in an FOI request and Newcastle refused to say so we won't find out until after applications finish I don't think.
Reply 75
Read on another post someone rang admissions and they said the cut-off would be 2700-2800.
Would love it to be true but going with the saying "If it's too good to be true, it probably is".
Original post by am1992
Someone on another page put in an FOI request and Newcastle refused to say so we won't find out until after applications finish I don't think.

ahhh :frown: It won't be much good to us after the application process is over... well I suppose knowing how many people you're competing against right now doesn't really change anything, but it'd still be nice to know.

Original post by sam2192
Read on another post someone rang admissions and they said the cut-off would be 2700-2800.
Would love it to be true but going with the saying "If it's too good to be true, it probably is".

I had heard that it would be 2800ish as well. 2500 seems outstandingly low to be quite honest.
Either way, fingers crossed that Newcastle didn't receive too many applicants this year, and I hope they start giving out interviews soon :crossedf:
Reply 77
Original post by Shakil01995
Mate I'm applying through partners what do you think the ukcat cutoff will be
And do newcastle do an overall cut off or cut off from each section

Posted from TSR Mobile

guys to be honest i have no idea what the cutoff is. Especially for partners still confused as to what it is and some of my friends got in through it :smile: Not sure it would be that low though, maybe to get more people to pick durham as thats usually relatively less competitive interview:redface:ffer but think they would just shift most of the E applicants to stockton. The UKCAT is the only other thing from the interview thats used as a strict cutoff really so would expect it to be fairly high, newcastle got a couple thousand applicants for the 215 places in this year's cohort compared to 99 at DUQC. One thing I'd like to say now don't panic about the interviews, I heard nada from any med school till mid Jan and that was a rejection from sheffield. Newcastle interview wasn't until mid/late feb. Feel free to ask about city/course/med school life/how brilliant newcastle is :biggrin:
Reply 78
BTW if any of you have interview in 9th December ill be doing you're med school tour :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by AshleyGHaigh
Hello hello! I couldn't find a Durham Med Applicant page so I thought I'd come on here and see if y'all were discussing QC (Queen's Campus) at all.

I'm a first year at Durham, so I suppose I'm one of the best people to dispel answer any questions about coming here for Phase I of the MBBS programme :smile:

- Yes, we do get a degree from Newcastle
- We are in Stockton-on-Tees, which is relatively close to Middlesbrough
- Queen's Campus is around an hour away from Durham on a free bus (with your campus card) called the X1
- If you chose 'E' it'll give you no advantage whatsoever on choices, the same as to whether you put in two applications with both 'N' and 'D'; the first will simply make you allocated to one or t'other, the latter will either result in two offers or two rejections
- The UKCAT threshold last year I believe was 740ish, I got in with 747; do be aware that if your UKCAT is just cutting it and you chose Newcastle, you may be rung up and told that you can have an interview at Durham if you want it; they'll just switch you
- The interview:redface:ffer ratio is much MUCH higher here - 1.3:1 as opposed to 2.3:1 I believe, so actually we're easier to get into in that respect

And to the person who asked why people don't tend to choose Durham to start. Well, I really liked both and wanted both, which is why I chose to apply to Durham. But some people are only a fan of one (I do prefer Durham to Newcastle tbh) and then apply to Newcastle. Of course there is also the thing about really, really good nights out on the toon. I suppose it also helps that you'll have the same lecturers throughout whereas, when we resume lectures in fourth year, I'll never have met the lecturers that the Newcastle students already know.

Oh, Durham also have a collegiate system and two colleges down here; I really like that. We have massive rivalry. John Snow > Stephenson though, always remember that.

Oh and to clarify:
Year 1 and 2 - Durham or Newcastle; lectures
Year 3 - Newcastle; base units (Northumbria, Tyne, Tees or Wear)
Year 4 - Newcastle; lectures
Year 5 - Newcastle; base units (Northumbria, Tyne, Tees or Wear, but not the same as you picked in Year 3)

Hope that helps O:smile:

Always wondered about the DUQC, stage 1 NCL here. This image i hope kind of shows how its structured a bit, from our course handbook
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7BHm41LGd9zemJIdVA5Z0hnRDQ/view?usp=sharing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending