The Student Room Group

Not the partying/drinking type. Should I be worried?

I'm an international postgraduate student and it will be my first time living in London. I'm not there yet, so I'm pretty much lost. I've joined a few FB groups and have taken a look at the Freshers Month at my university. It looks like partying and drinking are a dominant part of university life, so I'm a little concerned that I won't find my place. I wouldn't mind drinking/partying once in a blue moon, but it's not something I'd like to do often.

Any tips for a 26-year-old newcomer?
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm not the drinking type either but there will be a lot of non-drinking events available. Just remember, you don't have to get drunk to have fun. :wink:
If you do decide to attend an event where others may be drinking then don't feel as though you also have to drink. I'd be very surprised if anybody even noticed that you weren't drinking alcohol, I'd be even more surprised if anyone mentioned it and I'm 100% certain that no one would look upon it negatively.
IMHO UK unis have a really bad image and health problem in regard to drinking. Furthermore uni marketing departments are skilfully positioning uni Freshers as "party time". It simply does not appeal to a very large demographic. Simply "not drinking" is scarcely the answer, when the focus of most students is precisely the opposite.
Reply 4
Original post by Old_Simon
IMHO UK unis have a really bad image and health problem in regard to drinking. Furthermore uni marketing departments are skilfully positioning uni Freshers as "party time". It simply does not appeal to a very large demographic. Simply "not drinking" is scarcely the answer, when the focus of most students is precisely the opposite.

Perhaps you're right. I guess I'll have a look at the clubs and societies at my university. Hopefully I'll be able to find what I'm looking for.
i am a post grad student going back to uni as well, and tbh i will do what parties and drinking i want to do and nothing more. same should be for you, as a post grad its even more important your work comes first, and others will just have to accept that.
of course not i've gotten through 2 years without attending a single party and i'd do it again.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending