The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1
you can get a railcard for 20 pounds a year. It offers you 30% off all rail fares and is most definitely worth it. Ask for one at any train station and they'll sort you out.

Also, Natwest offer a free railcard with their student accounts.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you john-boro. So does that mean I'd get a card on the spot or would I have to wait for a few days for them to register the card for me?

Sorry I would also like to ask what the use of a nus card is. I've heard it around but are they student cards for buses? Thank you :redface:
Reply 3
they do it straight away. Go with a passport, passport sized photo, and 20 pounds and you'll walk away with one.

NUS card is a card for membership of the national union of students. You get all sorts of discounts on everything, perhaps buses as well I'm not sure. Someone who's actually at uni might answer that better :smile:.
Hi Leah - definately get a Railcard! I got one because it was actually cheaper to buy a railcard and then a discounted ticket to London from Liverpool, rather than just a buy the ticket on its own. So I saved more than the £20 cost in just one journey :rolleyes:

The official name is 'Young Persons Railcard', it's available to 16-25 year olds (and mature students), and comes in a rather nice shade of orange! :smile:

As well as your photo, £20 and ID (very important to prove your age), you need to complete an application form. Although these are available in ticket offices, you can save time by downloading a copy from www.youngpersons-railcard.co.uk and completing it beforehand.

One last thing, you can save a lot of money if you book tickets in advance online. Try www.thetrainline.com
Or alternatively you could open a bank account at a High Street Bank... they often give away YP Railcards when you open a student bank account.
Reply 6
I was going to say, don't hold your breath if you are waiting for the Nat West to send you one.
Reply 7
Easy as ABC
Hi Leah - definately get a Railcard! I got one because it was actually cheaper to buy a railcard and then a discounted ticket to London from Liverpool, rather than just a buy the ticket on its own. So I saved more than the £20 cost in just one journey :rolleyes:

The official name is 'Young Persons Railcard', it's available to 16-25 year olds (and mature students), and comes in a rather nice shade of orange! :smile:

As well as your photo, £20 and ID (very important to prove your age), you need to complete an application form. Although these are available in ticket offices, you can save time by downloading a copy from www.youngpersons-railcard.co.uk and completing it beforehand.

One last thing, you can save a lot of money if you book tickets in advance online. Try www.thetrainline.com

Mine's purple! But then it is a Natwest one...
Reply 8
Thank you so much everyone!!!:smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 9
Just get it. I have relatives who work on the railway, and they are selling loads of them. They are such good value

Latest