The Student Room Group

How would you rate your parking skills?

Poll

How would you rate your parking skills (for your sex)?

Scroll to see replies

poop poop poop
Reply 2
Original post by hotliketea
poop poop poop

:poo::poo::poo:
Reply 3
Well I drive this:

for a living, so parking my car crazy easy compared!
Original post by Nuffles
Well I drive this:

Delivery driver or?
Reply 5
Original post by Nuffles
Well I drive this:

Presumably you don't try and park the van in spaces where you would just about squeeze a car. So it's all relative
Reply 6
I'd say above average. I spent most of my time as a learner driving a people carrier, so I feel like I got parking down pretty quickly. Although judging by some of the "parking" you see, getting it in the lines probably counts as above average.
Reply 7
Original post by FuelBowser
Presumably you don't try and park the van in spaces where you would just about squeeze a car. So it's all relative

No, but it's got a long wheelbase coupled with an awful steering lock and bad visibility as the box body is wider than the cab, so even parking it in a space relative to its size is a lot harder than parking my car in a similarly appropriate place. A Defender 110 was a piece of piss to park compared to this!
Reply 8
Original post by Alfissti
Delivery driver or?

'Washroom servicer'. I drive about 500 miles a week. The hours are pretty long - I've done 50 hours + a couple of weeks and I'm only salaried to 40 - but the bonus package is awesome and the pay is better than I'd be looking at pretty much anywhere else, including boring old office jobs :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Nuffles
No, but it's got a long wheelbase coupled with an awful steering lock and bad visibility as the box body is wider than the cab, so even parking it in a space relative to its size is a lot harder than parking my car in a similarly appropriate place. A Defender 110 was a piece of piss to park compared to this!

What's its bhp and weight?

Does it have parking sensors
Original post by Nuffles
'Washroom servicer'. I drive about 500 miles a week. The hours are pretty long - I've done 50 hours + a couple of weeks and I'm only salaried to 40 - but the bonus package is awesome and the pay is better than I'd be looking at pretty much anywhere else, including boring old office jobs :tongue:

Sounds good. Do you get to bring the van home?

Lots of hours there presumably a lot of it is being on the road?
Original post by Alfissti
Sounds good. Do you get to bring the van home?

Lots of hours there presumably a lot of it is being on the road?

It depends where I am. If I'm in Cardiff for the day (where I live) most of it is hammering around the city with only 5 minutes or so between each call and lots of calls. Sometimes I have to go up into the Valleys around Merthyr Tydfil and in that case I can do anything between 100-150 miles with 20+ minutes of driving between each call, and obviously fewer calls.

The rear axle is a good foot or two too far back so it's got a really long wheelbase without much rear overhang. The steering lock is rubbish too, which leaves it with a turning circle rivalling an oil tanker.
(edited 9 years ago)
What's its bhp and weight?

Does it have parking sensors

No idea about weight, but it's GVW is 2.5 tonne (I think, could be nearer to 3.5t) and it's supposedly 125bhp, but it's limited to 70mph and 4000rpm so it's slooooow. It's pedal to the metal usually and even then I can barely keep up with traffic :tongue:

It has reversing sensors but they're useless so I never use them. The reversing camera is more useful but it's just a wide-angle lens with no overlays so again not that useful for parking, more as a rear-view-mirror. A lot of the vans have broken cameras so you're down to just mirrors then :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Nuffles
No idea about weight, but it's GVW is 2.5 tonne (I think, could be nearer to 3.5t) and it's supposedly 125bhp, but it's limited to 70mph and 4000rpm so it's slooooow. It's pedal to the metal usually and even then I can barely keep up with traffic :tongue:

It has reversing sensors but they're useless so I never use them. The reversing camera is more useful but it's just a wide-angle lens with no overlays so again not that useful for parking, more as a rear-view-mirror. A lot of the vans have broken cameras so you're down to just mirrors then :biggrin:

Is it spinning at 4000rpm at 70 mph ?!

125 bhp must mean it's quicker than a 60 bhp saxo tbh

Does it seat 3 abreast in the front ?

Saxo is probably quicker since the van is likely more than double the weight + less aerodynamic than the Saxo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Is it spinning at 4000rpm at 70 mph ?!

Does it seat 3 abreast in the front ?

Nah, it sits at around 2krpm at 70mph in sixth gear. But if you try to boot it in first away from the lights it just cuts out at 4krpm :frown: The fly-by-wire throttle is utter crap too - absolutely no feel to it at all. The FBW throttle in my Golf, more than 15 years older, is far more responsive.

This is the dashboard:

Seats three very comfortably, and the middle seat folds down into a super useful table which both my phones, my paperwork, and the rest of my crap sits on. Luckily I'm left handed to writing on the paperwork works out for me. Eight cup holders too :cool: There are none in my Golf.
Reply 16
Original post by Nuffles
Nah, it sits at around 2krpm at 70mph in sixth gear. But if you try to boot it in first away from the lights it just cuts out at 4krpm :frown: The fly-by-wire throttle is utter crap too - absolutely no feel to it at all. The FBW throttle in my Golf, more than 15 years older, is far more responsive.

This is the dashboard:

Seats three very comfortably, and the middle seat folds down into a super useful table which both my phones, my paperwork, and the rest of my crap sits on. Luckily I'm left handed to writing on the paperwork works out for me. Eight cup holders too :cool: There are none in my Golf.

Looks comfortable. Not many cars can seat 3 in the front

Only 2k at 70mph? That's great, my Honda Accord is doing 2.1k at 70 mph and is 138 bhp

As a diesel you shouldn't need to go much over 4k anyway... Ever given any boy racers a shock from the lights?
Reply 17
Original post by live_a_life
Saxo is probably quicker since the van is likely more than double the weight + less aerodynamic than the Saxo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily. Double weight and double power is quicker than half weight half power
Reply 18
Parking is the worse part of my driving. It took me ten minutes to park the other day, with my boyfriend guiding me in. I'm always worried that I'll hit the car behind or infront or kerb my tyres. I'm much better parking in small spaces.
Not necessarily. Double weight and double power is quicker than half weight half power

I know, that's why I also mentioned how the shape of the Saxo might give it the edge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply