The Student Room Group

Getting on a vet course...

Ok. So my friend (no it's not me lol) wants to be a vet. But I don't think she's gunna get a place at uni to study for it :s-smilie:

She's just got her AS results and got:

General Studies: A
English Combined: B
German: don't know (likely to be C or less)
Then she's taken Maths, Chemistry and Biology and I know she got 2 Ds and I'm pretty sure she said they were in Chemistry and Biology, and I know she find maths much harder...so I doubt she got a better grade in that. And yes she's gunna resit most of the latter three I think so the universities don't find out her grades, right?

She's been working at the vets for a year and has done a few days lambing.

So, does she have a chance?? I'm really not convinced and am worried because of the time she's put into working at the vets, her being dead set on it, and the fact that she might be wasting her A Level years studying subjects she wouldn't choose otherwise ( i don't think).

What do you think? Thanks for any help xxx

K: just wanted to add, I have read the other post about getting in after lower grades, but I would like to know specifically about my friend. Also, she does loads of extra cric. activies. Her GCSEs were .. a couple of A*s, As and Bs i think. Also, she's not the most hard working person ever. thanks x
I have to ask, why oh why is she doing 5 A Levels?! (plus general studies but no one gives a monkey's about that one!). She is clearly struggling with her grades so to do so many subjects is just madness!

She will need to do more work experience if she is serious about the vet degree. Dairy farm, horse work, maybe a different vets? Just a few suggestions.

If she got such good grades at GCSE, she is clearly capable of getting good grades at A Level but is going to do need to do A LOT of work to get her sciences and maths up to an A in her resits.

If I was in her positions, I would cut down on the number of subjects she's doing for A Level and take a gap year. She could then see what she gets for her A Levels and it would give her a chance to build up some more work experience before applying.

Having a chat to her maths, chem and bio teachers to see whether she can get her grades up to an A is good place for her to start.
Reply 2
The best of luck to your friend, i agree, why is she taking 6 A levels?!? In a VetMed prospectus it will often say that those taking 4 will not be favoured over those students taking 3, your friend sounds perfectly able to get the right results judging from her GCSE's but maybe she is spreading herself too thinly? Resits are a great thing, you have the whole of the Christmas holidays to revise and you usually find a subject easier the second time round and go up grades.

Tell her to talk to her teachers, as it will be they who submit the expected grades to UCAS, anything below AAA, AAB is unlikely to get her interviews so its important that she really makes an effort to show her teachers that shes capable.

Also, work experience, varying is a really good idea, even if it is only in a different surgery and the extra curricular activities make a huge difference to a personal statement.

I agree, with the last reply tho, if she is REALLY serious about the VetMed degree, then she should drop the English and German and General Studies, and really focus on Bio, Chem and Maths, she still has a year to gain experience, and if she doesnt have it by the time her UCAS form is sent off, she will be able to update it by ringing the Uni's.
yeah i know, i've tried to persuade her about the number of subjects. she has dropped german but is still doing english because she loves it and because if she doesn't get into be a vet, it's her ... safety thing. and general studies involves only 1 hour a week. that's her reasons.

the thing is, in my opinion at least, and i don't mean to sound harsh, i'm just trying to get a realistic idea of her chances, she doesn't work too hard. i don't think. obviously she's working harder now but i don't know if it's enough with all the resits on top of keeping up with normal homework. she was majorly disappointed with her gcse results so i don't understand why that didn't encourage her to work harder at AS because, again, she was really disappointed with these results.

kk i have passed on your advice, and am really grateful for it! thanks guys and good luck in your own courses! xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending