The Student Room Group

Girl banged in the face at carnival

Scroll to see replies

Original post by matthewduncan
For not allowing a mans sexual advances.

Carnival is a dungeon. Never been there and I will never go there.
Reply 61
Original post by TolerantBeing
It's quite funny how it's only the strong anti-feminists who are quick to brush it off as nothing though isn't it?

Quite defensive.

I don't think anybody's brushed it off as nothing. Assault in general is not "nothing", but people are just not surprised it happened - 95 people were arrested on the first day with 252 arrests in total, six people are being held over attempted murder, three men have been stabbed with 8 others "receiving knife wounds", two police officers injured and a section 60 imposed. What about this particular case makes it so much more newsworthy and important than the rest of that?

The NH carnival is well known for bringing violence with it. The only reason people are surprised is because this time it was a middle-class white woman.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 62
Things like this happen and people still think that women should be flattered when they get unwanted sexual advances :rolleyes:
Reply 63
Original post by Annaaaa
Things like this happen and people still think that women should be flattered when they get unwanted sexual advances :rolleyes:

See above post. Statistically speaking, men were 11 times more likely to be victims of stabbings.
Reply 64
Original post by CJKay
See above post. Statistically speaking, men were 11 times more likely to be victims of stabbings.

That is completely besides the point that I was making, not to detract from the issue of the people getting stabbed because obviously, it is awful and more needs to be done to police the Notting Hill Carnival so that less incidents like these happen (I know that's easier said than done but that's another issue).

People make out that sexual harassment is a complete non-issue and that we should just get over it but we have people like this girl, who has been put in a position where she has to either put up with being violated by a stranger or stands up for herself and gets put in hospital.
Reply 65
Original post by Annaaaa
That is completely besides the point that I was making, not to detract from the issue of the people getting stabbed because obviously, it is awful and more needs to be done to police the Notting Hill Carnival so that less incidents like these happen (I know that's easier said than done but that's another issue).

People make out that sexual harassment is a complete non-issue and that we should just get over it but we have people like this girl, who has been put in a position where she has to either put up with being violated by a stranger or stands up for herself and gets put in hospital.

Nobody is making it out to be a non-issue, but prioritising the sexual assault of one person, purely because the victim is a woman, over the physical assault of 11 other people is insane. I am surprised nobody was killed, as has happened in the past.
Now what'll happen is all the support floods in to help this one woman and nobody cares about proactively changing the communities that commit these sorts of crimes in the first place. Instead, people will blame it on "rape culture" and "teaching men not to rape" - which is exactly what the single largest anti-sexual assault organisation is against. That generates frustration and anger amongst males, as this forum has clearly demonstrated, and instead of "solving sexism" you become part of the cause of it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SMEGGGY
Not unless they happen to be South Asians, Muslims of course then has to make it compulsory.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You mean like the ethnicity of the grooming gangs in Rotherham that got covered up for 16 YEARS by white people in councils/social services/police force?
Original post by CJKay

The NH carnival is well known for bringing violence with it. The only reason people are surprised is because this time it was a middle-class white woman.

Middle-class? How do you know?

A white woman being assaulted/sexually assaulted in London by men of certain ethnic backgrounds is the LEAST surprising aspect to the whole thing, regardless of it happening at the NH Carnival.
Reply 68
Original post by CJKay
Nobody is making it out to be a non-issue, but prioritising the sexual assault of one person, purely because the victim is a woman, over the physical assault of 11 other people is insane. I am surprised nobody was killed.

This case is getting discussed because the image of her injuries went viral and the media caught wind of it. Whether that is right or not is another issue, maybe the media should run an article on the carnival itself because it sounds like a bit of a crime fest.

Original post by CJKay
Now what'll happen is all the support floods in to help this one woman and nobody cares about proactively changing the communities that commit these sorts of crimes in the first place. Instead, people will blame it on "rape culture" and "teaching men not to rape" - which is exactly what the single largest anti-sexual assault organisation is against. That generates frustration and anger amongst males, as this forum has clearly demonstrated, and instead of "solving sexism" you become part of the cause of it.

It's a vicious cycle really, women are tired with the way that they are being treated by a certain calibre of men which leads to
frustration towards men in general, then men get angry and feel like they are being tarred with the same brush as those who are sexist towards women.

I agree that pinning the blame on 'rape culture' is completely futile and more needs to be done in the way of education for this sort of thing. I think that things like cat-calling and pinching people's bums has been the norm for a long time and it's only now that people are starting to kick off about it, so a lot of young men, and I suppose some women as well, have been brought up to believe that this sort of behaviour is 'just a bit of fun' but in reality the person that they are doing it to doesn't feel that way.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by Geir44
He was black, but then again it is a caribbean Carnivale. She was just up there to get some well h*** stuff.

I go there every year (I'm Asian) and I can tell you that it's always white people who start troubles in my opinion they are hiding the whole story...something is very fishy...
Reply 70
Original post by Conzy210
Men get assaulted too.

That's true but a woman getting battered by a man is worse than a man getting battered by a man, in my opinion. It's more nasty and more cowardly.
Original post by Marco1
That's true but a woman getting battered by a man is worse than a man getting battered by a man, in my opinion. It's more nasty and more cowardly.

I agree with you there, but to say she's annoyed she's a woman because she can't leave the house without fear of being assaulted is essentially saying if she was a man that fear wouldn't exist. Which of course it does.
Reply 72
Original post by Conzy210
I agree with you there, but to say she's annoyed she's a woman because she can't leave the house without fear of being assaulted is essentially saying if she was a man that fear wouldn't exist. Which of course it does.

Right, I see what you mean.

I feel for her though because no woman deserves that. The Notting Hill Carnival is notorious for roving black gangs of young thugs out to cause trouble. They are spoilers of what otherwise would be a more wholesome affair. If I had a daughter, I would never encourage her to go. Just a question of safety and risk.
Original post by G8D
Around blacks...

didn't take long.
Am I the only one who though the title was dirty?
Reply 75
People on here make my eyes hurt.
Original post by TolerantBeing
It's quite funny how it's only the strong anti-feminists who are quick to brush it off as nothing though isn't it?

Quite defensive.

Well it doesn't quite fit with their version of the world, ie "these days a man is afraid to talk to a girl, because he'll be accused of rape and his life will be ruined"
Reply 77
This is probably punishment for taking part in the WhyIDon'tNeedFeminism tag.
Reply 78
Original post by MagicNMedicine
So in this thread we have...

- young female suffers violent assault for objecting to being sexually groped

- some posters say "nothing to see here, whats the big deal"
- others turn it in to a way of being racist towards blacks

but of course we live in a world where 'feminism has gone too far' and 'rape culture is a myth' and these days men are too afraid to talk to a woman in case of being accused of being rapists.....

SURE

Hehe. Nail on the head.
Original post by ZOG destroyer
Am I the only one who though the title was dirty?

No, I have to admit I was expecting something entirely different. Particularly when seen who the OP was.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending