The Student Room Group

A2 Chemistry - how to revise and get a B from a U?

So just next week I am starting my second year of Sixth Form and it isn't looking too good: I am doing History, English Literature, Chemistry and General Studies, and I am hoping to do Law at a good university in which I need to get ABB.

Now, my results were not too pleasing: I got a B in History, a C in English and a U in Chem (and a U in General Studies) - this means that I have to resit at least 2/3 of my exams so I have a lot on my plate. My main worry, however, is Chemistry; I think that it is interesting and can would look good getting a high grade for it on my UCAS form but I am struggling a lot with it; I could only get a U at AS, so how can I even cope with A2?

One prime reason for my failiures is the inability to revise: my teachers constantly told me that constant revision is important but I can not constantly revise, and when I do, I have LOTS of trouble concentrating. Thus, I can only revise 1 hour at a time, if that, and because of this I dread doing it.

So please help: how can I concentrate in and out of class, how can I revise effectively and consistently, and how can I grasp AS and A2 Chemistry to get a B, or a C at the least?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump.
Don't even know if that's possible if you've even marginally tried to do well. Some people are just not cut out to do well in Chemistry. If you think this is you, then I suggest you drop it and pick something you think you're going to do better in. A LEVEL RESULTS ARE NOT A ****ING GAMBLE!! They do determine a huge part of where you end up in life - think carefully..
Reply 3
Original post by Joyful_soul
Don't even know if that's possible if you've even marginally tried to do well. Some people are just not cut out to do well in Chemistry. If you think this is you, then I suggest you drop it and pick something you think you're going to do better in. A LEVEL RESULTS ARE NOT A ****ING GAMBLE!! They do determine a huge part of where you end up in life - think carefully..

That's the thing though - due to the timetables in my school, the other things that I could choose over Chemistry are either things that I would do worse at due to being far behind or BTECs. I have a much higher chance to do well in Chem then the others. In addition, the Year 13s told me that they also did poorly at AS and got better, so I think I need to figure out how to also do this.
Reply 4
Is no one able to offer any sort of help?
It is completely possibly, all you need is a little self preservation!

The key is to plan out how your going to improve from U Grade, it is important to set realistic goals and achieving a B is more then realistic.

When you said you cant revise this is your choice, anyone if they are truly motivated can make themselves do anything it takes to achieve their goals. I understand it is difficult, however from your OP i can see you are serious about improving and this is certainly a good start. If you want to do well next year i would recommened getting a textbook and starting now.

If the original concepts are difficult then dont be afraid to go back to some basic GCSE knowledge which im sure will give you a nice foundation to build on.

I have just done chemistry AS ( AQA ) yes it is difficult but i worked hard and set a goal that i made myself believe i could achieve, and thankfully i did!

I know this information is only brief but if you need any further guidance feel free to PM me or reply in this thread, i am more then happy to help.

All the best
- Super
If you can not focus and work hard for extended periods you will really struggle with law.
Reply 7
Original post by JJHoward
So just next week I am starting my second year of Sixth Form and it isn't looking too good: I am doing History, English Literature, Chemistry and General Studies, and I am hoping to do Law at a good university in which I need to get ABB.

Now, my results were not too pleasing: I got a B in History, a C in English and a U in Chem (and a U in General Studies) - this means that I have to resit at least 2/3 of my exams so I have a lot on my plate. My main worry, however, is Chemistry; I think that it is interesting and can would look good getting a high grade for it on my UCAS form but I am struggling a lot with it; I could only get a U at AS, so how can I even cope with A2?

One prime reason for my failiures is the inability to revise: my teachers constantly told me that constant revision is important but I can not constantly revise, and when I do, I have LOTS of trouble concentrating. Thus, I can only revise 1 hour at a time, if that, and because of this I dread doing it.

So please help: how can I concentrate in and out of class, how can I revise effectively and consistently, and how can I grasp AS and A2 Chemistry to get a B, or a C at the least?

Thanks.

Are they letting you carry on chem with a U? if so, how did you convinve them
Reply 8

Thanks.

To answer your question I found CGP books the best sort of revision for me, writing things out from their like the colour charts of transition metals and the synthesis chart too :smile:

You will need to get that U up to an E for your AS if you hope to get a B overall so you will need to resit enough to get that E I'm afraid.

Good Luck!
Reply 9
Word of advice. Knowing your stuff in chemistry isn't always enough. You need to know previous mark scheme answers pretty much word for word, go through every past paper and be on top of your calculations.
I'm starting A2 next week as well and I achieved a B at AS which I was quite disappointed by as I put a lot of hard work in but evidently not enough & I was aspiring to get an A but that's still the goal for next year.

Hard work isn't enough for chemistry, we need to put 200% into it.

Read up and learn topics before your teachers go through them with you, this holiday could have been a good time to do some private consolidation over the AS and possibly starting the A2 course?
Reply 10
Original post by SuperMushroom
It is completely possibly, all you need is a little self preservation!

The key is to plan out how your going to improve from U Grade, it is important to set realistic goals and achieving a B is more then realistic.

When you said you cant revise this is your choice, anyone if they are truly motivated can make themselves do anything it takes to achieve their goals. I understand it is difficult, however from your OP i can see you are serious about improving and this is certainly a good start. If you want to do well next year i would recommened getting a textbook and starting now.

If the original concepts are difficult then dont be afraid to go back to some basic GCSE knowledge which im sure will give you a nice foundation to build on.

I have just done chemistry AS ( AQA ) yes it is difficult but i worked hard and set a goal that i made myself believe i could achieve, and thankfully i did!

I know this information is only brief but if you need any further guidance feel free to PM me or reply in this thread, i am more then happy to help.

All the best
- Super

Thanks, this does help. I guess motivation really can be key.

Original post by Old_Simon
If you can not focus and work hard for extended periods you will really struggle with law.

I cannot focus for extended periods yes, but I do work hard for as long as I can if I am motivated. In addition, the fact that I am at home doesn't not help - too many distractions and day dreams can be common. Also, Law greatly interests me and while some aspects such as Land Law will likely bore me, overall the great interest should help.

Original post by tara rose
Are they letting you carry on chem with a U? if so, how did you convinve them

Yes they are, but I didn't convince them they just let me. I think the fact that the majority of my already miniscule class got a U helped.
Original post by Dingo749
To answer your question I found CGP books the best sort of revision for me, writing things out from their like the colour charts of transition metals and the synthesis chart too :smile:

You will need to get that U up to an E for your AS if you hope to get a B overall so you will need to resit enough to get that E I'm afraid.

Good Luck!

See I use them and usually take notes, however this is not very effective mainly because I struggle to keep notes small and concise, sometimes I tend to copy the notes directly from the textbook also. How can I stop this.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Thanks, this does help. I guess motivation really can be key.

It really is :biggrin:

if you need any help when you start your course feel free to PM me

all the best
(edited 9 years ago)
x.

How many hours did you revise?
Reply 13
Original post by games211
How many hours did you revise?

I don't know, not on a daily basis for sure. I revised irregularily, but this was still more than most I know.
I don't know, not on a daily basis for sure. I revised irregularily, but this was still more than most I know.

maybe do 20 mins everyday after school to start off?

See I use them and usually take notes, however this is not very effective mainly because I struggle to keep notes small and concise, sometimes I tend to copy the notes directly from the textbook also. How can I stop this.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Give yourself one A3 sheet of paper to put all your important notes on and stcik to that for a unit or a section of a unit or whatever :smile: They're good because you can stick them on your wall and see them whenever :smile:

Also remember to take breaks, if you're tired you won't retain information as well :smile: Getting some Tea and a sandwich is always helpful :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Dingo749
Give yourself one A3 sheet of paper to put all your important notes on and stcik to that for a unit or a section of a unit or whatever :smile: They're good because you can stick them on your wall and see them whenever :smile:

Also remember to take breaks, if you're tired you won't retain information as well :smile: Getting some Tea and a sandwich is always helpful :smile:

Alright thanks for the help :smile:

Original post by games211
maybe do 20 mins everyday after school to start off?

Yes that is a good idea actually; to ease into it I will revise just 20 minutes after school, then maybe after 2 weeks revise longer. Thanks for your advice.
Alright thanks for the help :smile:

Yes that is a good idea actually; to ease into it I will revise just 20 minutes after school, then maybe after 2 weeks revise longer. Thanks for your advice.

no problemo

Yes they are, but I didn't convince them they just let me. I think the fact that the majority of my already miniscule class got a U helped.

Your so lucky they are letting you carry on, I got a U TOO AND I dont even know HOW to EVEN encourage my school to let me carry on.
Reply 19
Original post by Djent
Word of advice. Knowing your stuff in chemistry isn't always enough. You need to know previous mark scheme answers pretty much word for word, go through every past paper and be on top of your calculations.
I'm starting A2 next week as well and I achieved a B at AS which I was quite disappointed by as I put a lot of hard work in but evidently not enough & I was aspiring to get an A but that's still the goal for next year.

Hard work isn't enough for chemistry, we need to put 200% into it.

Read up and learn topics before your teachers go through them with you, this holiday could have been a good time to do some private consolidation over the AS and possibly starting the A2 course?

I see, I will definitely work harder this year - I am determined to get a good grade overall and I will do whatever I possibly can.

I thought that doing some work this holiday would have been a good idea; I revised for about a week, after that I really got burnt out and could not focus at all: I made a topic about it and everyone advised that I take a break since next year is going to be a lot of work. Heck, this will probably be the proper break I get, for I am going to revise almost non-stop in Winter and Spring.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending