The Student Room Group

Got AAAB at AS, predicted AAA, can I receive an offer for an A*AA economics course?

Got AAAB at AS, predicted AAA, can I receive an offer for an A*AA economics course?

Would like to apply to a top 10 university for economics, such as Bristol, do I have much chance of receiving an offer?

My school wants 85% for an A* economics prediction, I got 83%
They want 90% for an A* maths prediction, I got 88%
They want 90% for an A* physics prediction, I got 86%

So annoying Dx
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tristan2709

Would like to apply to a top 10 university for economics, such as Bristol, do I have much chance of receiving an offer?

So annoying Dx

The predictions you've been given are fair, but if you want the best opportunities in life you have to take the initiative sometimes. The difference between A*AA and AAA unis for economics is massive and you won't stand a chance at A*AA unis if your predictions are below. Initially, ask your teachers to bump up your predictions, or practically beg. If that fails, get your parents involved. I know it sounds desperate but it's not like they're going to lower your prediction for asking, so there's not much to lose.

So annoying Dx

Looks like Maths has the best potential for an A* as it depends more on c3 and C4. If you can show good performance for those units, then your teachers may be more amenable to give you the A* your need.
Reply 3
Original post by GandalfWhite
Looks like Maths has the best potential for an A* as it depends more on c3 and C4. If you can show good performance for those units, then your teachers may be more amenable to give you the A* your need.

Ah okay. Thanks for the advice, hopefully will be able to get it. Averaged 90 ums on C1 and C2, it was the applied modules (S1, M1) that let me down.
Reply 4
Original post by Mike_123
The predictions you've been given are fair, but if you want the best opportunities in life you have to take the initiative sometimes. The difference between A*AA and AAA unis for economics is massive and you won't stand a chance at A*AA unis if your predictions are below. Initially, ask your teachers to bump up your predictions, or practically beg. If that fails, get your parents involved. I know it sounds desperate but it's not like they're going to lower your prediction for asking, so there's not much to lose.

Yeah I was bearing those alternatives in mind but was just unsure about how strict the universities were on entry requirements. Didn't realise they were as strict that A*AA gets an offer and AAA doesn't. Thought that, with a good personal statement, they'd just give a more difficult offer.
Reply 5

Yeah I was bearing those alternatives in mind but was just unsure about how strict the universities were on entry requirements. Didn't realise they were as strict that A*AA gets an offer and AAA doesn't. Thought that, with a good personal statement, they'd just give a more difficult offer.

The standard offers they give aren't very malleable, if you like, since they tend to always be the same whatever the situation. The only exception I can think of is cambridge where they say the standard offer is A*AA but they can specify subjects and/or ask for A*A*AA. I think an A*AA prediction will give you a much, much stronger application than AAA.
Reply 7
The standard offers they give aren't very malleable, if you like, since they tend to always be the same whatever the situation. The only exception I can think of is cambridge where they say the standard offer is A*AA but they can specify subjects and/or ask for A*A*AA. I think an A*AA prediction will give you a much, much stronger application than AAA.

Ah okay. Yeah, think Im probably going to have an economics remarked. Probably will change as its pretty subjective marking, just got to hope it goes up! Anyway thanks for the advice. :smile:
Reply 8

The school lowered the A* prediction boundary to 257 so I just got it! :biggrin:
The school lowered the A* prediction boundary to 257 so I just got it! :biggrin:

yay …. happy for you …. study hard and good luck on your offers
Reply 10
yay …. happy for you …. study hard and good luck on your offers

thanks man. just received an A* pred for physics too lol
thanks man. just received an A* pred for physics too lol

High five ... A*A*A prediction is great ...
Reply 12
High five ... A*A*A prediction is great ...

Cheers man, with a bit of luck might even be 3A*s aha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending