The Student Room Group

Claiming for transport from home rather than accommodation costs of living near uni?

Is it possible to claim for the train fare/season ticket (£300/month) to commute to uni so a student can live with family in order to receive support from them, rather than living close to uni & claiming accommodation costs?
Reply 1
Should be, kinda.

If you mean under DSA, they discount £510/year I think as public transport costs, and pay petrol allowance @ 29p a mile on top of that. I'm not sure how it works with rail, but there should be some sort of arrangement.

Obviously you'd need to have physical disability in order to make a good argument
Reply 2
Through DSA, no, it wouldn't be agreed, as each student is expected to get to their course. There is a travel allowance but this is a very hard area to get funding agreed for. Accommodation costs are also not supported anymore.
They'd normally only pay the extra costs that a disabled student has. I received transport costs because I needed someone with me to travel to strange places. I had to pay my own transport costs (the same as every other student) and claimed back the costs for the person with me.

You wouldn't need a physical disability for that.

Quick Reply

Latest